What is a good weight?

Options
I'm 5'7. I'm not small boned. I wouldn't really say I was large boned, but I'm not petite by far. I'm hour-glass figured. Wide shoulders, and wide bony hips. When you read online at what you should weigh for your height there are so many different variations. Some sites have told me that anything under 140lbs was underweight, but then other sites tell me I can weigh as low as 121lbs and be in a normal weight range.. So what is correct? I weigh 170 now. What is a normal weight range for me?

Replies

• shaunshaikh
    shaunshaikh Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    Get your body fat % measured and go by that. In my opinion, you're not really trying to get to a certain weight. You're trying to get to a certain body composition.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    I agree with shaunshaikh.
  • bhb301
    bhb301 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'7 also, started years ago at 175, now at 149. I think you will know when you get there. i was 142 Oct 2008, and still a little hippy. Just focus and you will know when you get there.
  • Cloud_Dancer
    Options
    Where can I go to get a good reading of that? Online sites?
  • MaryDreamer
    MaryDreamer Posts: 439
    Options
    Depends on your bone structure but I wouldn't go under 135 being 5'7". I'm 5'6" and won't go under 130 if even that low, gonna trial and error it kinda thing, look at myself as I'm losing and see if I wanna keep going or stop somewhere before then. Good luck!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Here is an "ideal weight" for a females calculation: 100 lbs at 5' and add 5lbs/inch. So at 5'7" medium build ideal weight would be 135 lbs. For large frame add 10% for small frame minus 10%. So large frame would be 148.5 (135+13.5).
  • Cloud_Dancer
    Options
    Here is an "ideal weight" for a females calculation: 100 lbs at 5' and add 5lbs/inch. So at 5'7" medium build ideal weight would be 135 lbs. For large frame add 10% for small frame minus 10%. So large frame would be 148.5 (135+13.5).

Thanks!!
  • QueenofCups
    QueenofCups Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    There are a few sites you can go to - but they are not consistent. Some sites say I am 29% body fat, others say I am 20%. Same measurements, same weight.
    There are scales you can buy that measure body fat, and calipers you can purchase online.
    You could also check local gyms to see if they have personal trainers that do body fat compositions for non-members, probably for a fee.

I am med/large framed and only 5'4" and I think 130 would be too thin for me. I am shooting for 145 right now, but 140 would probably be my overall goal eventually. So if you are not small boned and have an hourglass figure (I do as well, waist to hip difference is 10"), I would say shoot for 150 and see how you feel.
  • catysthename
    catysthename Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'8 and 137 right now, when i was an inch or something like that shorter i was 120. I've lost three pounds already but before that i wasn't fat, just out of shape and kinda flabby. (guess it was just from lack of muscle). But anywhere between 140-120 is a good weight. (since i don't know your body type)
  • catysthename
    catysthename Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'8 and 137 right now, when i was an inch or something like that shorter i was 120. I've lost three pounds already but before that i wasn't fat, just out of shape and kinda flabby. (guess it was just from lack of muscle). But anywhere between 140-120 is a good weight. (since i don't know your body type)
  • Barelmy
    Barelmy Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    I'd agree, go by body fat percentage and measurements, rather than weight. I use this calculator; http://www.healthstatus.com/calculate/body-fat-percentage-calculator

It almost definitely won't be perfectly accurate, but, as long as you measure the same way each time, it will allow you to see changes.

I'd say aim for 140lbs or so, and see how you feel then, if you want a goal to aim for.
  • hotelsierra
    Options
    Get your body fat % measured and go by that. In my opinion, you're not really trying to get to a certain weight. You're trying to get to a certain body composition.

Awesome Recommendation -- Once u get the BF under control with a healthy balance of muscle the measurements and weight should fall into a healthy place- (also depends on your body type-)
  • GreenTeaForDays
    GreenTeaForDays Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Take it one step at a time. Lose 5 lbs, re-evaluate, lose another, re-evaluate... etc. That is what I've done and my original goal weight has dropped 20 lbs!

As some of the other posters have said, body fat % is a great way to go about it as well but websites are inconsistent and its not always easy to get an accurate estimation. If that is too difficult you could also just go by measurements (waist, hip, bust, thighs... etc.).

Most of all, just go by how you feel!
  • Cloud_Dancer
    Options
    Thanks to everyone for your advice!!
  • Jwpawlowski
    Jwpawlowski Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Great advice posted on here!! Also pay attention to your appetite and feelings towards food as you lose. I've been everywhere from 125-165 at 5'7'' and I'd say I can easily maintain my body weight and look good from 140-150lbs. I prefer how I look at 130-135lbs, but I was always hungry then...so I would rather compromise my weight so that I can eat more and feel satisfied!
  • westcoastSW
    westcoastSW Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'7. I'm not small boned. I wouldn't really say I was large boned, but I'm not petite by far. I'm hour-glass figured. Wide shoulders, and wide bony hips. When you read online at what you should weigh for your height there are so many different variations. Some sites have told me that anything under 140lbs was underweight, but then other sites tell me I can weigh as low as 121lbs and be in a normal weight range.. So what is correct? I weigh 170 now. What is a normal weight range for me?
    BUMP-ing this, as I have similar stats. Thanks for asking and thanks to everyone who responded :smile:
  • suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    im 5ft 6 and 123lb (ish) and thats a healthy weight.

for 5ft 7, anywhere between 120lb and 157lb is normal healthy weight range.

Where you want to fit into that is up to you

xx
  • Elle408
    Elle408 Posts: 500 Member
    Options

That's my body shape exactly! Only I'm a couple of cm's shorter! I'm currently 125(ish) and aiming to be around 120. It's the lower end but I'm finally happy at my weight (with some major toning to do.) It depends what you want though... I want to be lean and slim, I want to feel like I can prance about in a small bikini and live in skinny jeans. I have to work very hard for it though and realise that I'll have to continue to work hard to maintain it.

Think about what you want to achieve and how maintainable it is for you! You'll know when you're at a happy place!