Shin splints

Options
MissAnjy
MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
I recently started getting into running & i'm starting to enjoy it!! I'm going to begin the c25k in about 3 weeks. Only problem is, i get horrible shin splints. I always stretch before & after, but they are always horrible!!! how do you "cure" this? is there anything I can do to stop this from happening?

Replies

• MommaToFour
    MommaToFour Posts: 106
    Options
    How old are your shoes? What kind are they? Usually when I start to get shin splints it's because my running shoes have reached their maximum running life.
  • KansasGal
    KansasGal Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    ice them down when u are done working out. i get them bad too but i work through them and then when i am done ice them for a bit. its working for me! good luck!
  • Heather_Anne
    Options
    I agree with mommatofour. It's all about the shoes! Do you need more arch support? More cushion? Have someone at a shoe store help you.
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    Time and training, your body will adjust.

For me, things like Iceyhot are ok. Alternating hot packs/cold packs helps too.
  • Franticantics
    Options
    Speaking as someone in full time dance training, fortunately i've never had them, but many of my friends have them awfull yand are always sitting out. My best fried suffers really badly from them, to help her i massage her calf and shins to release the pressure on the bone.
    In particular focus on the muscley bit running up the outside of the tibia, and on the very outside of the, where the chunk of the calf meets the bone.
    Of course do the hot to cold to hot to cold, preferably usng a bath of ice rather than an ice pack, its more effective if the lower leg is completely submerged in chilley goodness!
    Also, lie on your back wth your legs abve your hip sockets at 90degrees, you may want to go up against the wall if you find it hard t maintain the position, this helps reduce swelling also.
    Iburprofen works well at reducing inflamation as well. Also arnica tablets can help :)
    x
  • backinthenines
    backinthenines Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    Shin splints can be caused by a range of factors:

- worn out old shoes that have lost their cushioning
    - shoes that are unsuitable to your gait
    - mechanical problems relating to your feet / pronation / supination
    - doing too much too soon / increasing distance or frequency of runs over too short a period of time
    - being overweight
    - your running style / excessive heel striking

In the first instance you need to rest the legs until the pain has gone. Don't run through the pain unless you want to end up with a tibial stress fracture in future.

Then go to a reputable running shop, have your feet and running style assessed and get some shoes that are suitable to you.

In future try to incorporate some runs on softer ground such as grass or sand while you ease your legs back into impact.

Never increase your frequency of runs or distance by more than 10% a week. Cardiovascular fitness builds quickly. Muscular-skeletal strength and bone density does not.
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Shin splints can be caused by a range of factors:

- worn out old shoes that have lost their cushioning
    - shoes that are unsuitable to your gait
    - mechanical problems relating to your feet / pronation / supination
    - doing too much too soon / increasing distance or frequency of runs over too short a period of time
    - being overweight
    - your running style / excessive heel striking

In the first instance you need to rest the legs until the pain has gone. Don't run through the pain unless you want to end up with a tibial stress fracture in future.

Then go to a reputable running shop, have your feet and running style assessed and get some shoes that are suitable to you.

In future try to incorporate some runs on softer ground such as grass or sand while you ease your legs back into impact.

Never increase your frequency of runs or distance by more than 10% a week. Cardiovascular fitness builds quickly. Muscular-skeletal strength and bone density does not.

In addition, changing running surfaces can also give you shin splints. Lots of folks get them when they shift from the treamdill to outdoors, or from dirt trails to concrete.

Some people swear by exercises like sitting barefoot and writing out the alphabet with their toes, or scrunching up a towel with their toes.

You could also look at running sites like www.runnersworld.com for tips regarding shin splints, as it's such a common injury for runners.
  • Rebeccasluckyduck
    Rebeccasluckyduck Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    There is a guy on here somewhere (can't remember who) who actually has a cure for shin splints listed in his signature...and it really works.

Sit in a chair and with one leg out, toes pointed. Write the alphabet with your toes. Do this three times a day with each leg. I've heard this before from running coaches and it really does help.
  • backinthenines
    Options
    In addition, changing running surfaces can also give you shin splints. Lots of folks get them when they shift from the treamdill to outdoors, or from dirt trails to concrete.

that's because outside is generally harder surfaces than cushioned treadmils, and dirt trails are a softer surface than concrete...
  • backinthenines
    Options
    There is a guy on here somewhere (can't remember who) who actually has a cure for shin splints listed in his signature...and it really works.

Sit in a chair and with one leg out, toes pointed. Write the alphabet with your toes. Do this three times a day with each leg. I've heard this before from running coaches and it really does help.

This will make naff all difference if you continue to make the most frequent mistakes which are "wrong shoes" and "too much too soon".

There is a difference between just treating the symptoms of something, and getting to the bottom of WHY you get a problem in the first place.
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options

that's because outside is generally harder surfaces than cushioned treadmils, and dirt trails are a softer surface than concrete...

Right! Was just adding to your very thorough list! Sometimes even fairly experienced people get shin splints when changing surfaces, not realizing the additional shock they're creating and that they have to build up to that.
  • jeremymaritz
    Options
    I was getting them for a bit...but they went away completely when I switched over to running in Vibram Fivefingers. That's generally because you step much lighter and without heel strike you're not putting much pressure on your shins. They've made a world of difference to me.
  • NicolCook
    NicolCook Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    When I got them, it had a lot to do with where I was walking/running. The streets in my town were not a good idea. As soon as we had to move inside for the weather, they went away. Now when it gets back nice out, we plan on going to the track. I had to ice them too. It burned to even walk......I feel for you!!!
  • trailrunner_jules
    Options
    I was getting them for a bit...but they went away completely when I switched over to running in Vibram Fivefingers. That's generally because you step much lighter and without heel strike you're not putting much pressure on your shins. They've made a world of difference to me.

This is the best way I can think to avoid MOST running injuries. Barefoot running is a whole different concept. Read "Born to Run"-- a must read for anyone who loves running enough to want to be able to do it their whole lives!
  • dianarae82
    Options

This is the best way I can think to avoid MOST running injuries. Barefoot running is a whole different concept. Read "Born to Run"-- a must read for anyone who loves running enough to want to be able to do it their whole lives!
    I agree whole-heartedly. I also recommend another book, "Natural Running" by Danny Abshire. I read that and changed my whole way of running. I use minimalist running shoes, and its the same effect of not striking with my heels. I had shin splints for YEARS. I found shoes that cut down on the pain but I literally iced my legs everyday for months straight, regardless if I ran or not. All the suggestions so far have been great, but you should realy look and see what will work for you. Some people swear by the support of a shoe, and some people swear by no shoe support. No heel support is what worked wonders for me. Good luck. I know how bad it can be!