What is a FOODIE to do when trying to lose weight

Options
I love food. I love discussing food. I love the whole eating out in a new place with good friends. I love the colors, textures, layers of flavor, spices, atmosphere the whole experience.

I have to figure out a way to be a Foodie and still lose weight.

Any suggestions?

Replies

• jamielr84
    jamielr84 Posts: 545
    Options
    Become a HEALTHY FOODIE. :happy:
  • catysthename
    catysthename Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    healthygrocerylist.com
    That's if you would like to start cooking.
    I had the herbed fish today for lunch which has seasoned bread crumbs and basil as the breadding and i added lemon juice and had some scrambled eggs with it. Amazing!
    If you plan on eating out, go to the database and search out which meal is the healthiest out of what you'd like to have for the night at that restaurant. Always do your research!
  • Clipickett
    Clipickett Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    By your definition of FOODIE, I am a FOODIE times 2! I love it love it love it....Here's a breakdown of what I do to keep from being too bad.

1. Mind set - make a decision to eat healthy and STICK with it
    2. Excercise
    3. ALLOW yourself to indulge from time to time, BUT ONLY if you compensate with more excercise. (I recently at an entire box of Mac-n-Cheese and so to balance that out, I hit my routines HARD and burned of 1,500 calories that same day.)
    4. Repeat of #1 BE DISCIPLINED. Eating right and losing weight can be just as much fun as eating all those yummy bad good gooey foods.

I stick to these four rules and they seem to help.
  • green33084
    green33084 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Portion control and exercise. Alot of places anymore have a type of low calorie meal that you could have, then just sample the rest!:happy:
  • Newfiedan
    Newfiedan Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    Actually a foodie can be an ideal weight loss candidate as you know more than most what flavors work with what foods and what ones do not. I am a big advocate of clean eating, and it has done wonders for me, so my advice is to research clean eating and then use that info to create healthy meals that taste great, clean eating once you get into it tastes great, half the reason people fail is because of the lack of flavor.
  • MaysMom
    MaysMom Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Being a foodie makes dieting a little easier. I am also a self-proclaimed foodie. There's not too much I won't eat. In fact, I can't think of anything at the moment. lol But being a foddie, I can broaden my horizens. Expand my menu. I'm not stuck with poached chicken breast and steamed veggies all the time. I know how to add flavor to them without adding fat and therefore calories. Follow me? Use what used to be your weakness and turn it into your strength. You'll be fine. Don't worry.
  • DianaPowerUp
    DianaPowerUp Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I had that problem when I first started here. I am a SERIOUS foodie, and love to cook, try new flavors, eat out.....and then I realized that that lifestyle really doesn't work well with my nutrition plan, unfortunately. I mean, sure, a nicely marbled cut of beef with some wine reduction over it, garlic mashed potatoes, asparagus with hollandaise sounds heavenly. Let's not forget the creme brulee for dessert (or any chocolate concotion you can think of). Or how about some Pad Thai for lunch? A pain au chocolat for breakfast? Or homebaked cinnamon rolls, covered in icing? I used to bake one or 2 things/wk. I mean, pies, brownies, bread, you name it.

I don't eat like that anymore. I still get about 5 cooking magazines/month (subscriptions), still have my cupboard full of every Penzey's spice known to man. I look at my mags and see what I could make, that would be healthy, not too calorie heavy, etc. Not much, btw. But I've found that I am now happier and feel healthier when I've had just turkey breast and a hard boiled egg for lunch, maybe some fruits or greens.

Since I make dinner for the family, I've made lots of substitutions. Ground turkey instead of ground beef, more fish, less oil, butter...I rarely ever make anything that requires adding cream to a sauce. No gravies, sauces - just broth, a little wine, seasonings...maybe a pat of butter if I need the texture/mouth feel.

So, all I can say is that I've adapted. Once I started eating healthier (less calories, cleaner, less processed), it's now hard for me to put something into my mouth that is really calorie laden/nutrient empty. I don't think I'm missing anything. I like everything I'm eating. It's just not as "gourmet" as it used to be. But I know I can have that stuff if and when I want it. It's still there, and if I feel like I'm missing something, then I'll have it. It's learning about having what you want in moderation, too.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,238 Member
    Options
    I am more of a Foodie now than I was before I started all this. I used to eat food and think it was good, but it was really pretty crappy. I now enjoy a whole host of herbs and spices, and am much more discerning in my food choices than I was before. This will not make you less of a foodie, but a more discerning one. Watch portion size and food content.
  • peteyTwang
    peteyTwang Posts: 250
    Options
    me too... like _so_ many people who succeed at maintaining a healthy weight... wait 'til you taste how good food can _really_ be

the trick is to stop thinking about how deprived you are on your "diet" and start enjoying this wonderful new lifestyle you are making for yourself! Make it an adventure...Get moving and exploring -- new kinds of exercises to spark your metabolism and maybe try eating things you might never have enjoyed before good healthy choices ...prepared _properly_ = foodie heaven!
  • chovest81
    chovest81 Posts: 99
    Options
    i have the same issue.....before i started the Take Shape For Life program....i lived to eat instead of eating to live. Its a mind set and a major lifestyle change. 6 months ago i never would have believed i could have even said that because i LOVED to eat.....its what my day was about. Now i know what i can have and the times i do get in trouble is when i let myself debate going off course and dive into my old bag of tricks.
  • annacataldo
    annacataldo Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    Everyones saying excercise, but I personally cant hardly excercise, and im still losing alot of weight (10pounds the last week and a half). And Ive been eating meals like steak and taters, and beef with stir fried veggies over rice, and mozzarella chicken with roasted asparagus and parmesan roasted potatoes, and chicken caesar salads with feta/almonds/veggies/dressing, and salmon with brown rice and veggies... you can have plenty of amazing amazing food, go out to eat, etc.. Its about really counting calories... My mom made dinner the other night, she added salt and oil to the carrots---y would u take a 20calorie veggie and turn it into a 100calorie veggie by pouring it with grease and adding sodium that helps u retain weight? i dont cook with salt or oil anymore, and everyone loves my food! I cook with onions and garlic, red pepper flakes and pepper, and various other seasonings when needed. I spray my pan with olive oil pam spray not pour a few tablespoons in a pan. Its about saying to yourself "I can eat this deep fried chicken breast that it fried in oil with added egg and flour and fat, for 600calories, OR i can bake it in water in the oven at 350degrees with fresh lemon, onion, garlic, some rosemary, and have loads of flavor bursting from it for under 150 calories"
    You need to look at everything your about to put in your mouth and just get your mind on the mindset of "could i be making a healthier choice, could i be eating something better for me, be more full afterwards" a 300calorie glass of pop wont fill you, but for the same calories you could have an entire meal and be completly stuffed to the brim!
  • DianaPowerUp
    DianaPowerUp Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Btw, I just want to add that I think being a foodie is actually beneficial if you're trying to lose weight/get healthier, b/c you already are willing to try new/different combinations of foods than the avg. joe. Like everyone has mentioned, if you stick with cleaner eating, you'll soon start to dislike eating "crap" and you'll really enjoy good, nutrient dense foods, made properly.
  • SyreetaJayne1
    Options
    I am more of a Foodie now than I was before I started all this. I used to eat food and think it was good, but it was really pretty crappy. I now enjoy a whole host of herbs and spices, and am much more discerning in my food choices than I was before. This will not make you less of a foodie, but a more discerning one. Watch portion size and food content.

Agreed. I'm also a fellow foodie, which has given me the advantage that another member mentioned, i'm not picky so i can eat almost anything, so it was easy to adapt to a healthy lifestyle. I love trying new things and i eat healthier than ever (i've recently gone organic and partly raw) and i've never felt better than i do now and feel like i eat like a queen!!! Now that i've adapted to "clean" eating (i've completely cut out fast food, processed food and only eat out when it's an organic restaurant) i don't even crave the crap, and it would probably make me sick if if tried to eat it! I love it!!!!
  • perrytyra
    perrytyra Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I am a foodie too and also see it as an advantage most of the time. I don't eat junkfood anymore. Well most of the time, I guess I eat some slightly healthier junk food like tortilla chips, but i eat them with salsa or hummus. If I want sweets, I bake it. Takes more time. So if I want something sweet, but I don't feel like baking, then I just have to eat fruit or yogurt instead.

As for going out to eat, look up the menu online before you go if you can. If you can't, keep the portions in check. Know the serving sizes before you go, and immediately divide it up when your plate comes and ask for a box. Eat that for lunch the next day. Beware though. Some restaurants have servings sizes that are even more than double what you shoud eat.
  • popsicle33
    popsicle33 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone here. I believe my only saving grace for about 10 years was getting exercise. I joined a gym and my reward was to go and sit in the sauna. I still ate too much, dated an overweight man, drank too much with him, etc. I am about 20 lbs overweight, but if it weren't for exercise, I would be heavier by now.

Also, as foodies, we can learn to enjoy new foods! I found a recipe for wheatberry salad with a vinaigrette and edamame that I really want to try sometime. I can imagine the taste, texture and aroma of it already! It would go great with a lean, grilled steak (properly-proportioned, of course).

As far as enjoying foods in general, when you have something that is kind of a break from your diet, taste the heck out of it. Food is a spiritual experience for many of us. We should savor and give thanks for every bite. There are people all around the world who go without such good food on a daily basis. There is a spiritual discipline called "mindfulness" - a practice that says we should slow down, savor, practice our awareness of every gift that comes our way. We can do that, although it is in stark contrast to a society that requires us to hurry up, stress out, then fall out at the end of each day.

My Wii Fit Plus told me (it talks to me) that when we eat too fast, we tend to over eat. This is because it takes about 20 minutes for our bodies to send the message to our brains when we are actually full! Yet one more reason to slow down and savor every bite.

All of these are just ideas for inspiration. They are easier said than done! :grumble: Good luck.
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    the trick is to stop thinking about how deprived you are on your "diet" and start enjoying this wonderful new lifestyle you are making for yourself! Make it an adventure...Get moving and exploring

I made a list of foods that I really like...

And then realized that there were a lot of really healthy options on the list. So when it comes to making food decisions it was easier to weigh my choices. Pick-up McD's on the way home (which actually I don't even like, but it's fast & easy) or take a piece of salmon out of the freezer and poach it in the microwave (which turns out to be even faster and yummier)

I love that since I eat less crap I enjoy food so much more.

Every once in a while I eat something from the unhealthy side of the list, but it's not an everyday food it's a special treat.
  • jalldntnome
    Options
    I looked up the healthygrocerylist.com and it looks great. I will have to spend more time there and really check it out. Thanks for the advice. :smile:
  • Becca_007
    Becca_007 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    me too... like _so_ many people who succeed at maintaining a healthy weight... wait 'til you taste how good food can _really_ be

the trick is to stop thinking about how deprived you are on your "diet" and start enjoying this wonderful new lifestyle you are making for yourself! Make it an adventure...Get moving and exploring -- new kinds of exercises to spark your metabolism and maybe try eating things you might never have enjoyed before good healthy choices ...prepared _properly_ = foodie heaven!

^ ditto^ :wink:
  • Go_Lise
    Go_Lise Posts: 151
    Options
    By your definition of FOODIE, I am a FOODIE times 2! I love it love it love it....Here's a breakdown of what I do to keep from being too bad.

1. Mind set - make a decision to eat healthy and STICK with it
    2. Excercise
    3. ALLOW yourself to indulge from time to time, BUT ONLY if you compensate with more excercise. (I recently at an entire box of Mac-n-Cheese and so to balance that out, I hit my routines HARD and burned of 1,500 calories that same day.)
    4. Repeat of #1 BE DISCIPLINED. Eating right and losing weight can be just as much fun as eating all those yummy bad good gooey foods.

I stick to these four rules and they seem to help.

I FULLY agree with this! I'm a big time foodie. I LOVE flavours more than anything. For me nothing (well except for the really bad stuff) is out of bounds but I moderate it and I try to eat colourfully (is that a word?).

Portions, moderation, exercise. That's it!
  • Calidaho
    Calidaho Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    If you are foodie who likes to cook, Cooking Light magazine is pretty helpful. The recipes are inventive and delicious and pretty much any recipe you use will fit in a healthy eating plan.

Can I tell you how much more I appreciate herbs now? I had a plain baked Yukon Gold potato (creamier than russets) with a tiny dab of butter and a ton of chives. I think I might have been able to do without the butter because the chives gave it so much flavor. I have added thyme to my asparagus and green beans--also reduces the need for butter or oil.

Light cooking really is good for foodies.

Eating out, well, that might be another story!