TRYING to love cottage cheese..

Options

Replies

• glorod
    glorod Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    i love cottage cheese BUT with DORITOS! :(:(...thats a big fat FAIL for me :(
  • mommynmotion
    mommynmotion Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Gotta be splenda and/or fruit in mine!

I also blend 1/2 cup with 3 egg whites and 1/2 cup of dry oatmeal and make the yummiest protein pancakes that even my husband and kids LOVE!
  • Cristy_AZ
    Cristy_AZ Posts: 986
    Options
    I didn't read the other responses so sorry if I'm duplicating. Try the lowfat instead of the non fat (you'll cut down on sodium and the calories aren't that much different). I put a bit (what some might consider a lot) of black pepper on it. I also like it with a bit of meat stirred in (like low sodium chicken breast or lean low sodium ham). I've never been able to take it sweetened and with fruit... I go the other way and make it savory. Good Luck!!!
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    Plain with a little bit of black pepper on it! The only way I can get my wife to eat is making cottage cheese salad. Just mix together 1 regular tub of cool whip, 1 regular tub of cottage cheese, 1 small can of pineapple tidbits, and your favorite flavor of jello or pudding mix.
  • thumper44
    thumper44 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    I cut up an apple.
    Throw in a few raisins.
    Crunch up some almonds.

Mix it all up, got a balanced snack/meal.
  • ubabe1
    ubabe1 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I prefer Knudsen Free non-fat cottage cheese. I used to eat it only with black pepper then decided to try fruit...started with peaches, drizzling a little syrup over the top, but now I love it with avacados!! Some cottage cheeses taste very salty...yuck! Eveybody has some good ideas that I may even try!!
  • RissyKissy
    RissyKissy Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I dislike cottage cheese with a passion. However, I find it stomachable when I buy the low fat small curd cottage cheese and frozen strawberries. I partially defrost the strawberries put then in the food processor then add the cottage cheese. It gets rid of the curds and is best eaten when the berries are still super cold.
  • lalilalu
    lalilalu Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I've been using it as a cheesy topping on lasagne or tortilla stacks that I've been making. I made them with mountain bread and layers of vegetable or beans or meat, and then on the top I spread the cottage chesse and then a light grating of low fat chesse and grill it. The top layer becomes kind of like a cheese sauce and really yum.

Infact you could just spread it onto bread and grill it, once it's spread it isn't lumpy and melts well. I'm going to try that next, I love cottage cheese.....
  • poisongirl6485
    poisongirl6485 Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    Try mixing in like dry ranch dressing dip mix. Not great for the sodium, but for a 1/2 cup of cottage cheese, it's only roughly an addition 10-20 calories. Actually was my lunch today with the flax seed pita bread.

I was so going to say this! My friend made this and it was DELISH.
  • gnicole82
    Options
    I only like large curd cottage cheese, and its good with any fruit. Pineapple, strawberries and peaches are my favorite. I would not add any honey. It is also good with just some black pepper on top. hope you learn a new way that you like!
  • SunLove8
    SunLove8 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    My favorite way is a thick slice of home grown tomato covered in cottage cheese then heavily peppered.
    But of course that's out of season.

Try adding a lot of good ground pepper, some diced tomato, and maybe diced cucumber or sweet onion.
    Those add near zero calories. If you're adding honey and fruit you may as well eat yogurt.

I love cottage cheese with tomato and pepper too!! YUM!:happy:
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    I add a half a packet of truvia and cinnamon! It's like dessert :D
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    I absolutely love cottage cheese! And I didn't used to like it much either.

I add cottage cheese to my cooked oatmeal w/ fruit (blueberries, strawberries, etc). It really makes it creamy and you can't taste the cottage cheese. :) You can make protein pancakes this way also.

Protein pancakes:
    1/2 cup old fashioned oatmeal
    1/2 cup cottage cheese
    1/2 cup egg beaters (or 4 egg whites)
    Dash cinnamon and sweetener if desired (I add chocolate Shakeology or protein powder to mine as well)

Blend in blender if desired and cook like pancakes.

Cottage cheese w/ fruit and walnuts or sliced almonds is yummy. Or try mixing in some yogurt.

I also like to use cottage cheese as a dressing on my salad mixed w/ salsa or as a dip w/ veggies. Or try topping a baked potato or baked sweet potato w/ cottage cheese (and cinnamon for the sweet!).

If it's the texture that you don't like, try blending it in a blender. Also you can add it to smoothies, I do that for my daughter that doesn't *like* cottage cheese. :wink:
  • FlashBang
    FlashBang Posts: 136
    Options
    I just eat it, best protein bang for the bowl. Liking it is beside the point. It is just one little cup.
  • BryanAir
    BryanAir Posts: 434
    Options
    I eat 2% cottage cheese with sriracha sauce mixed in. But I love cottage cheese and sriracha, so both together can't help but be great.

I can't wait for tomato season as the previous posters have made me crave fresh tomatoes with cottage cheese and pepper.
  • eeeekie
    eeeekie Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    I love, love, love, love cottage cheese! I'm kind of a picky one when it comes to the thickness though. I need it to be firmer chunks and semi thick. I find that Bakers and Chefs (Sam's Club) - Small Curd Cottage Cheese (4%) is the best cottage cheese I've ever had. I don't like fruit in it ...I've never understood that combination. I like it either plain or with salt/pepper. It's AWESOME on toast! I love to make toast and put it on top.
  • BrandNewMia
    BrandNewMia Posts: 461
    Options
    I get the 4% kind (large curd, Dean's) and it's lower in sodium and tastes SO much better. Yes, slightly higher fat and calorie content, but I easily work around it when I want it. I like to eat cottage cheese with fresh cucumber slices - SO good!

I can't stomach the fat-free or even 1%.
  • funkyspunky871
    funkyspunky871 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    Try Breakstone's 100 Cal Cottage Cheese Doubles with Blueberry or Strawberry (it also comes in pineapple and peaches, but the blueberry and strawberry ones are my favorite). I've just recently fell in LOVE with them. I tried cottage cheese and fruit for the first time last week (I think before I've only had cottage cheese in lasagna). The initial "testing" was a little shocking to my taste buds, lol. Didn't quite know how to react to the texture and all. But, I bought two cups and figured I might as well give it another try... And I'm hooked now!! :)

And, btw, the fruit is more like a puree, so it mixes in really well... Omg, I want cottage cheese now!
  • TiredOfBeingRound
    TiredOfBeingRound Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    If you like tuna, try mixing it with the cottage cheese (Instead of using mayo). Sounds kinda gross, but itsp a healthy tuna salad and more filling. Eat it alone or with toast. double protein also! Try it...
  • Becca_007
    Becca_007 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Hi All!

Well, I recently learned that cottage cheese is a fantastic protein filled calorie bargain, if you get it fat free it's 90 cals (I think.. don't hesistate to correct if i'm wrong) and 18 grams of protein per half cup. I mixed it with some chopped strawberries and a little bit of honey to try for breakfast and .. BLEH! i really do want to love it, because it would be a fantastic source of protein to incorperate into my diet. Does anyone have any suggestions on what i could do with it? The help would be appreciated! Thanks :)

Happened to be at Trader Joes the other day when they were doing FF Cottage Cheese, Fresh Blueberries, and Pineapple chunks as the samples in the back. They had little cups of the three layered together. WOW, delish I have never been brave enough to try out the Fat Free CC, I can't imagine eating anything else now!!

I've always loved Cottage Cheese and pineapple together, but had never tossed in any fresh berries along with that. So that will be my next combo with cottage cheese, the added fruit with it!:love:

It's very good for you, you're right! Sadly it's quite HIGH in sodium so don't learn to love it too often.:wink::laugh:

Glancing at others ideas for sprucing it up....great ideas folks, looking forward to trying some of them! Oh, also I love it with Saltine crackers! mmm