May I start a vent thread?

Options
Sometimes we need to get things off our chest ......feel free to add yours

The way my mom acts over my former stepfather-She's either bad mouthing him bitterly or being a mother hen to him. She drove me crazy today. Do not bury the man before his time! Yes, he has a life threatening illness but it's not necessarily a life sentance.

I'm angry with myself that I let myself get this big! Why didn't I notice it when I had like 20 pounds to lose and not 100? It would of taken a lot less time and effort.

Replies

• ChantalD75
    ChantalD75 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I have very negative parents... I feel your pain...

Makes me angry also that I let myself go for so long... like you said would have been easier to drop the 20 then the 100 :o(
  • I have an ex that feels the need to walk away from his obligations... his son with me and his daughter with the other ex. It must be nice to say "i don't want to deal with keeping my kids you take them." Get their hopes up that Daddy will be there then us Mom's have to pick up the pieces.

And I'm mad at myself for thinking "It's ok I gained weight, I was too skinny before" and "I didn't gain that much weight it's okay"
  • soze
    soze Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Ever see Stephen King's "IT". The whole premise is based on when we see things so awful we block them out. The kids who faced up to the monster eventually beat it. That's what you're doing, beating the monster.
  • simplexserenity
    simplexserenity Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry for what you're going through with your mom, she probably just feels like she can vent in front of you and needs to let her frustration out somehow..I can only imagine how exhausting that gets though.

When I got to 265 pounds I totally felt the same way you do..like why couldn't I have stopped it or why didn't my parents notice how bad it got? I was 220 in 7th grade, which is ridiculous. But it's so nice to be at this point looking back, realizing how far I've come. There's absolutely nothing I can do about the past and I've come to terms with that, you can too =).

My vent:

I'm absolutely tireeeed of the drama college brings. I've loved the past four years, but I can't wait to graduate in May
    and start the next chapter. I'm just ready to move on to bigger & better thing!
  • Trista87Marie
    Trista87Marie Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I always ask myself why didnt my mom make me go outside in play. I weighed 280 lbs in the 6th grade!!! I was 12. I had absolutely no control over what I put in my body and absolutely no knowledge of what was healthy or was unhealthy. I get so mad that she would rather put food in front of me then spend time with me. Weighing that much at such a young age meant I had absolutely no self confidence and very low self esteem. So when I am feeling very very low, I blame my weight and my unhappiness on my mom. It is all her fault right? I didn't know any better. I was a kid.

I realize that tho I had very little control back then I have 100% control of my life and what I put in my body right now. So I'm letting go of that anger and resentment and blame and making a change for myself.

Im sorry about your frustration with your Mom, and I completely understand it! But you cannot control her decisions or actions. ONLY your own. So let go of what you cant control, and take control of what you can!! Your making the right steps already.
  • tamanella
    tamanella Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    My vent:

I too am so frustrated with myself for not doing more to take care of myself and for letting myself get to 327lbs. I'm really frustrated right now because I am eating late at night. I'll do good all day and then the night time comes and I can't help myself! So I'm losing really slow. I've committed as of today that I will not eat after 8pm!
  • Justin741
    Justin741 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I was just thinking about posting a vent...

Dear Health Nuts & Gurus,

Please STOP going into the introduction forums. I have seen on more than one occasion where someone joins this site to start their lifestyle change they are over 100lbs overweight and they just need to start taking baby steps by reducing calories and slowly making better food choices and then there seems always a post where someone says "only eat clean foods", "become a vegetarian", or "don't eat whole grains because they have round up infused in them at the DNA level."

Perhaps I personally need to listen to these people and perhaps they have a point. I can bet they know a lot more about eating right then I do because I am only a month into this & they can push their diet, agenda, or lifestyle all they want but NOT on the new people. These need to learn the eat this not that type of mentality. To choose a McFish meal over a double quarter pounder meal. To eat a Bacon Cheeseburger at home and not the angus bacon cheeseburger through the drivethrus. They need encouragement and support just to lost those first few pounds and that first time they decide to take the stairs or take a walk around the block.

When people first join this site I would like people to be welcomed for who there are & where they are and encouraged just because they joined the site and took the first step. If they post in the nutrition & food section or ask a question then answer appropriately. People will learn over time as they start tracking calories & fat and their weight how foods will effect them. I want them to learn a lifestyle change and how to eat better portions and not some fad diet.

I eat TONS of sodium. I know this is a problem but I basically don't eat out any more. I used to eat fast food at least 3-4 times a week and many times it would be 10 or more times. I want to reduce my sodium intake & I am learning how processed foods and other foods effect that. I also know my potassium is way too low and that will help my body regulate my water weight but I am being patient with myself and understand I am on a learning curve and look forward to slowly reducing the my sodium rich diet over time.

Wow, that was one vent, didn't know it was going to take that long. sorry about that.
  • dancer77
    dancer77 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Oh Justin i am so with you! I don't like it when I see people get chided for making a choice that IS healthier, although not perfectly healthy! I get worried that those newbies will lose heart and leave when there really is so much for them on here. Honestly that is why i won't make my diary public. I eat about the same thing every single day and sometimes I don't eat all the calories I'm 'supposed' to and I don't want to be judged. My rant is the whole exercise calorie thing!!!!! Ok I can see how eating your exercise calories can be good and I am all for other people doing it if that is the way they prefer and the way they see results. No judgment there. I just hate when I get told I need to! I have days when I dance hours and then I workout...I'm supposed to eat an EXTRA 1,200cals?! One, I don't lose weight that way. I tried it and I actually gain. Two: I want to cut down on my eating and not let my workings allow me to pig out. I'm blessed to have a majority of friends who are supportive 24/7 and they are the reason I like it here.
  • amber_hanners
    amber_hanners Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    today im aggravated that my husband can go to mcdonalds and eat 2 double quarter pounders and a large drink whenever he wants and still stay then and im aggravated with myself that i still want those things even though they are not good for you
  • blessedwith3boys
    blessedwith3boys Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I'm venting today because I don't seemt to be losing weight but gained a pound. Also the having to post everything I eat, drink and exercise is very time consuming so I haven't been as much as I should.