Quotes to share in light of morning's events

Options
So..I go to Bible Study, come back, and find Banks gone and everyone bummed. Yes, I will miss Banks, too, but many are still here. I've only been here since April and have seen so many come and go already. The point is, the rest are still here. Support is still here. Motivation is still here. Friends are still here!

There's been ups, downs, dissensions, etc. since I've been here but let me tell you--the UN could take a lesson to how the MFP community has struggled to "get along," and I think we've done a heck of a job at it! I wish other "real life" situations were worked out with as much understanding and tolerance as has been shown on this board! Y'all make me proud! I would be blessed to have any of you in my church as an example of tolerance and working together.

And, in light of the "question" about newbies always asking the same questions," as I just said in another post, I still ask questions every day! We've all got so much yet to learn. I don't see alot of people seeking "short cuts." Yeah, there's some who ask and don't listen, or who try to do something that isn't healthy, but geesh, I do stupid things, too. More than once, I've "opened mouth--inserted foot." And, more than once irritated some.

Anyway, I saw a quote the other day that I've been keeping in mind recently and in looking for it on the web, I came across some others that are really good. I wanted to share as a reminder that all who come here are seeking answers, all have some kind of questions, and all are in need of help, support, and understanding.

The original quote I was looking for is the first one. My favorite is the last one---

Y'all have a great rest of the day!

Philo
“Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.”

George Washington Carver:
“How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak and strong. Because someday in your life you will have been all of these.”

Booker T. Washington:
“If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else.”

Abraham Joshua Heschel:
“When I was young, I used to admire intelligent people; as I grow older, I admire kind people.”

Albert Shweitzer:
“Constant kindness can accomplish much. As the sun makes ice melt, kindness causes misunderstanding, mistrust, and hostility to evaporate.

Blaise Pascal:
“Kind words do not cost much. Yet they accomplish much.”

Charles Kuralt:
“The everyday kindness of the back roads more than makes up for the acts of greed in the headlines.”

Ella Wheeler Wilcox:
“So many gods, so many creeds, So many paths that wind and wind, While just the art of being kind, Is all the sad world needs.”

Eric Hoffer:
“Kindness can become its own motive. We are made kind by being kind.”

Frederick W. Faber:
“Kindness has converted more sinners than zeal, eloquence or learning.”

Goethe:
“Kindness is the golden chain by which society is bound together.”

Dalai Lama:
“When we feel love and kindness toward others, it not only makes others feel loved and cared for, but it helps us also to develop inner happiness and peace.”

Harol Kushner:
“When you carry out acts of kindness you get a wonderful feeling inside. It is as though something inside your body responds and says, yes, this is how I ought to feel.”

Princess Diana:
“Perhaps we’re too embarrassed to change or too frightened of the consequences of showing that we actually care. But why not risk it anyway? Begin today. Carry out a random act of seemingly senseless kindness, with no expectation or reward or punishment. Safe in the knowledge that one day, someone somewhere might do the same for you.”

George Bernard Shaw:
“The worst sin toward our fellow creatures is to be indifferent to them; that’s the essence of inhumanity.”

Henry James:
“Three things in human life are important. The first is to be kind. The second is to be kind. The third is to be kind.”

James Barrie:
“Those who bring sunshine into the lives of others, cannot keep it from themselves.”

Lao Tse:
“Kindness in words creates confidence. Kindness in thinking creates profundity. Kindness in giving creates love.”

Mother Teresa:
“The greatest evil is the lack of love and charity and an indifference toward one’s neighbor.”

“Kind words can be short and easy to speak but their echoes are truly endless.”

Pearl S. Buck:
“I feel no need for any other faith than my faith in the kindness of human beings. I am so absorbed in the wonder of earth and the life upon it that I cannot think of heaven and angels.”

Rabindranath Tagore:
“Men are cruel, but Man is kind.”

Ralph Waldo Emerson:
“Life is not so short but that there is always time enough for courtesy.

You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never know how soon it will be too late.”

Anonymous:
“Personal Fulfillment, satisfaction and happiness evolve out of caring about others.”

Paul of Tarsus
"If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone" (Romans 12:18).

Replies

• shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    So..I go to Bible Study, come back, and find Banks gone and everyone bummed. Yes, I will miss Banks, too, but many are still here. I've only been here since April and have seen so many come and go already. The point is, the rest are still here. Support is still here. Motivation is still here. Friends are still here!

There's been ups, downs, dissensions, etc. since I've been here but let me tell you--the UN could take a lesson to how the MFP community has struggled to "get along," and I think we've done a heck of a job at it! I wish other "real life" situations were worked out with as much understanding and tolerance as has been shown on this board! Y'all make me proud! I would be blessed to have any of you in my church as an example of tolerance and working together.

And, in light of the "question" about newbies always asking the same questions," as I just said in another post, I still ask questions every day! We've all got so much yet to learn. I don't see alot of people seeking "short cuts." Yeah, there's some who ask and don't listen, or who try to do something that isn't healthy, but geesh, I do stupid things, too. More than once, I've "opened mouth--inserted foot." And, more than once irritated some.

Anyway, I saw a quote the other day that I've been keeping in mind recently and in looking for it on the web, I came across some others that are really good. I wanted to share as a reminder that all who come here are seeking answers, all have some kind of questions, and all are in need of help, support, and understanding.

The original quote I was looking for is the first one. My favorite is the last one---

Y'all have a great rest of the day!

Philo
    “Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.”

George Washington Carver:
    “How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak and strong. Because someday in your life you will have been all of these.”

Booker T. Washington:

Abraham Joshua Heschel:
    “When I was young, I used to admire intelligent people; as I grow older, I admire kind people.”

Albert Shweitzer:
    “Constant kindness can accomplish much. As the sun makes ice melt, kindness causes misunderstanding, mistrust, and hostility to evaporate.

Blaise Pascal:
    “Kind words do not cost much. Yet they accomplish much.”

Charles Kuralt:
    “The everyday kindness of the back roads more than makes up for the acts of greed in the headlines.”

Ella Wheeler Wilcox:
    “So many gods, so many creeds, So many paths that wind and wind, While just the art of being kind, Is all the sad world needs.”

Eric Hoffer:
    “Kindness can become its own motive. We are made kind by being kind.”

Frederick W. Faber:
    “Kindness has converted more sinners than zeal, eloquence or learning.”

Goethe:
    “Kindness is the golden chain by which society is bound together.”

Dalai Lama:
    “When we feel love and kindness toward others, it not only makes others feel loved and cared for, but it helps us also to develop inner happiness and peace.”

Harol Kushner:
    “When you carry out acts of kindness you get a wonderful feeling inside. It is as though something inside your body responds and says, yes, this is how I ought to feel.”

Princess Diana:
    “Perhaps we’re too embarrassed to change or too frightened of the consequences of showing that we actually care. But why not risk it anyway? Begin today. Carry out a random act of seemingly senseless kindness, with no expectation or reward or punishment. Safe in the knowledge that one day, someone somewhere might do the same for you.”

George Bernard Shaw:
    “The worst sin toward our fellow creatures is to be indifferent to them; that’s the essence of inhumanity.”

Henry James:
    “Three things in human life are important. The first is to be kind. The second is to be kind. The third is to be kind.”

James Barrie:
    “Those who bring sunshine into the lives of others, cannot keep it from themselves.”

Lao Tse:
    “Kindness in words creates confidence. Kindness in thinking creates profundity. Kindness in giving creates love.”

Mother Teresa:
    “The greatest evil is the lack of love and charity and an indifference toward one’s neighbor.”

“Kind words can be short and easy to speak but their echoes are truly endless.”

Pearl S. Buck:
    “I feel no need for any other faith than my faith in the kindness of human beings. I am so absorbed in the wonder of earth and the life upon it that I cannot think of heaven and angels.”

Rabindranath Tagore:
    “Men are cruel, but Man is kind.”

Ralph Waldo Emerson:
    “Life is not so short but that there is always time enough for courtesy.

You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never know how soon it will be too late.”

Anonymous:
    “Personal Fulfillment, satisfaction and happiness evolve out of caring about others.”

Paul of Tarsus
    "If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone" (Romans 12:18).
  • Losing_It
    Losing_It Posts: 3,271 Member
    Options
    Thanks, Shore!:flowerforyou:
  • stacystar
    stacystar Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Thanks--as a newerbie--thanks for everything you said (your own words and the words of others)
  • Fab140
    Fab140 Posts: 1,976 Member
    Options
    Thanks Shore. I'm pasting this link for whenever that "inner peace" is turning into "inner mud".

:flowerforyou:
  • bugs_mom
    Options
    that was great. not just the quotes but your words as well. i'm very new here and i'm sure i'm bound to ask stupid things more then once :)
  • chilli
    chilli Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I agree with what you have said Shore, I don't contribute much but do read the boards a lot.
    I have questions sometimes too but read up previous postings to find answers if I can.
    Love the quotes
    Heres to the MFP family :drinker: :drinker:
  • PrincessLaundry
    PrincessLaundry Posts: 2,758 Member
    Options
    I always ask stupid things...And quite frankly I can't find posts here so I end up asking over and over and over and over...I even miss most of it! LOL

stupid-question.jpg
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    Very good post. Thanks Shore. :flowerforyou:
  • tresa1234
    tresa1234 Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your words and those quotes, Shore! I was feeling a bit discouraged by some of the posts after Banks left. I came on board late enough that he had already mostly quit posting, but those posts made me worry that this amazing community was in a decline and I, for one, really need y'all and your support.

And Shore ... in the short time I've been here I've seen numerous examples of you going out of your way to be helpful and kind. I know you don't do it for accolades, but I just want to say that we notice and we appreciate you and all your kindness!

:heart: :flowerforyou: :heart: :flowerforyou: :heart:
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options
    I always ask stupid things...And quite frankly I can't find posts here so I end up asking over and over and over and over...I even miss most of it! LOL

stupid-question.jpg

Are there actually 'Stupid' questions?:noway:
  • shorerider
    Options

The best teacher I ever had once shared this quote with me: "The only stupid question is the one you don't ask."
  • Fab140
    Fab140 Posts: 1,976 Member
    Options

The best teacher I ever had once shared this quote with me: "The only stupid question is the one you don't ask."

:heart:
  • tashjs21
    tashjs21 Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    Understanding and Tolerance? The attack on some people on this site does not say understanding and tolerance to me. I personally have seen a family atmosphere get torn apart here and then people being "reported" for voicing an opinion about it.

And I believe when people are referring to the newbies asking the same questions it was not to say that asking questions is bad. But the answers are out there in previous posts and people are not taking the time to use the tools that are there. I don't think that was said out of disrespect to the "newbies".

Anyhow, thank you for your encouraging words but please remember that someone feeling something is never "wrong". Do not fault Banks for the way he feels and by doing what he needs to do.
  • shorerider
    Options
    Understanding and Tolerance? The attack on some people on this site does not say understanding and tolerance to me. I personally have seen a family atmosphere get torn apart here and then people being "reported" for voicing an opinion about it.

And I believe when people are referring to the newbies asking the same questions it was not to say that asking questions is bad. But the answers are out there in previous posts and people are not taking the time to use the tools that are there. I don't think that was said out of disrespect to the "newbies".

Anyhow, thank you for your encouraging words but please remember that someone feeling something is never "wrong". Do not fault Banks for the way he feels and by doing what he needs to do.

Actually, I don't think I faulted Banks for doing anything--I simply stated how I feel about newbies asking questions.
  • peej76
    peej76 Posts: 1,250 Member
    Options
    I also have to thank you for the great quotes and your kind words as well. I am not new here, have been since March, and I want to be able to come on for support, or ask a question and not have to wonder if someone's gonna get their nose out of joint because I may have missed something. I hope I can continue using this site for support, because honestly I know what I have to do, and what I shouldn't do, but knowing that I'm not alone is what's really gonna keep me here.
  • AJCM
    AJCM Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Booker T. Washington:

Good post Shore! It's funny - just yesterday I was thinking of deleting my account because I'm pretty much at my goal, and then I read this message of yours.... I still find so much on here that's inspiring, helpful, and rewarding!
  • peej76
    peej76 Posts: 1,250 Member
    Options
    Booker T. Washington:

Good post Shore! It's funny - just yesterday I was thinking of deleting my account because I'm pretty much at my goal, and then I read this message of yours.... I still find so much on here that's inspiring, helpful, and rewarding!
    And think of all the people you get to help too!! That in itself, in my opinion is a huge reward!!
  • shorerider
    Options
    Booker T. Washington:

You're an inspiration to many! Seriously, I can't believe you ever needed to be on here but have enjoyed having your voice of inspiration from our neighbor to the north! How'd that TV spot thingie you did a few weeks ago go anyway??
  • AJCM
    Options
    Booker T. Washington:

And think of all the people you get to help too!! That in itself, in my opinion is a huge reward!!

Thanks - and back at you - that is why I stick around for sure! And if I don't like a topic I stear clear of it! Just like when my husband ticks me off - I don't divorce him! You take the good with the bad!
  • AJCM
    Options
    Booker T. Washington:

You're an inspiration to many! Seriously, I can't believe you ever needed to be on here but have enjoyed having your voice of inspiration from our neighbor to the north! How'd that TV spot thingie you did a few weeks ago go anyway??

Thanks Shore! Good memory! I will PM you the details...