Ice Tea

Options
Can ice tea (sweetened slightly with sweet n low) be counted towards my water consumption for the day? I am terrible at drinking water but I try to get at least six 8 oz glasses in a day but I know that's not enough. In addition to the water, I drink sun tea and I was wondering if I can count that towards my total?

Thanks

Replies

• kao708
    kao708 Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    I think opinions are mixed on this one. Since Tea is a diuretic I'm not sure it really counts like water but if you absolutely can't get enough water I'd say any zero calorie liquid is better than soda!
  • poedunk65
    poedunk65 Posts: 1,336 Member
    Options
    unless it is like crystal light you must add as a food intake due to the amount of calories involved. Crystal light hs no calories. I would not count sun tes as water as it contains caffiene which can dehydrate.
  • dreamweaver47
    dreamweaver47 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I use splenda in mine, but it is not an everyday thing ,maybe 2 glasses per week,I do count it but I make sure that I get my 10 to 12 glasses of water in per day.
  • worm1962
    worm1962 Posts: 6
    Options
    Great question! As far as I know, you can count that toward water consumption, although decaf would be ideal. I do the same thing, I drink 64 ounces of unsweet ice tea, half green tea and half black tea. I brew it every morning in my Mr Coffee iced tea brewer.
  • Lizzy_Sunflower
    Lizzy_Sunflower Posts: 1,510 Member
    Options
    I recently heard that you have to drink an extra glass of water for each caffinated drink you have. So just to be safe, brew your own, and make it decaf. I love Iced Tea
  • Cmuchoa
    Cmuchoa Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I drink green tea and seltzer in addition to my water - I do not count them into my water intake - we need water to clean our bodies from the inside out and it helps to eliminate weight too - why not try to do the 8 glasses in addition to yr other beverages. It can only help.
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    I think you can count it as water, as coffee and tea are not nearly as dehydrating as most people seem to believe they are.

However, I think it's a good idea to log your caffeinated beverages in your food log. Not because they have calories, but because you may find yourself reaching for the cafeine at the same times every day, which might indicate you need different meal planning to stop energy lulls.

So I'd log it both places. In the food log and in the water.
  • dreamweaver47
    dreamweaver47 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    MY DR. told me that for every 8 0z.glass of tea that I drink I have to drink 16 oz. of water to keep me from getting dehydrated.
  • Nikstergirl
    Nikstergirl Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    I love my unsweetened iced tea and usually have a glass or two with my lunch to break things up a bit and get just a bit of caffeine. But, I don't log it. Since it's zero calories, I don't log those either, but I don't log it as water because it's not. I still end up usually having 12-15 glasses of plain water, which I log, everyday. Sure is nice to have a different beverage now and again... since I gave up soda two years ago!!!!