night eating

Options
does anyone have any suggestions? i have so much trouble staying out of the kitchen at night.

Replies

• kao708
    kao708 Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    Oh man, me too! Depending on what I'm craving at the time I will usually have a 60 calorie jello mousse temptation cup or maybe a spoonfull of peanut butter! Sometimes, just getting a different flavor on my tongue helps ease the need for food. A huge glass of water doesn't hurt either! Good luck!
  • nancymmorris
    Options
    I try to grab a handful of nuts,or peanut butter and a large glass of ice water. This always helps me.
  • sarahazelnut99
    sarahazelnut99 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    pickles... and air popped popcorn
    if your hungry at that time save some calories and eat light like fruit or even just tea works for me sometimes
    there are alot of studies that say you actually dont gain more weight if your eating before you go to bed but im not really sure what the truth is lol
  • stephann2009
    Options
    i wish i knew, night time eating is the worst, i think i tend to eat when i am bored also...i keep lots of low cal things around like sugar free pudding snacks or 100 calorie snack packs just to eat or 100 calorie popcorn bags to microwave...
  • goldensprk86
    Options
    Fat-free popcorn is also a good night time snake...it keeps your hands busy picking up and crunching each piece. Sugar free Jello and pudding also are good for fighting my sweet tooth.

Also, I've learned that when I start heading for the kitchen at night, it is usually because I'm tired and trying to consume energy to stay awake. The best thing to do is just go to sleep!
  • brenda_71
    brenda_71 Posts: 151
    Options
    I usually exercise about an hour-hour 1/2 after dinner and that cures my hunger. Night eating use to be my biggest problem, but since I started doing that I've been loosing weight and I also sleep better!! Good luck to you!
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    With some minor adjustments during the day you could leave yourself a few hundred calories for night time.
  • hroderick
    hroderick Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    Save calories from earlier meals. I can't get to sleep hungry and have to force food down before 11am, so I have breakfast about 8pm then brush my teeth. I'm trying to live a lifestyle that works for me. And it is working.
  • army_cobra
    army_cobra Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    i eat at 830pm every night and go to bed by 10. I have a casein shake right before i go to bed cause it is a slow burning protein. I drink alot of ice cold water and stay away from any kinds of foods.
  • laneyb356
    laneyb356 Posts: 25
    Options
    I'm usually up late by myself so that's the worst time for me too. Like everyone else says, nuts, tea, sugar free pudding with a half of graham cracker crunched in it works. I am a sugarholic and love the sweets so sometimes for a nite time snack I fix a cup of cocoa with 1 C. 1% milk, 2 T. unsweetened cocoa, 2 Truvia packets or 1/2 oz. Torani sugar free vanilla & dash of salt. Froth it if you like the look and enjoy. Chocolate, yum.
  • sunbird0
    sunbird0 Posts: 6
    Options
    thank you so much for all of the great suggestions everyone!!! comforting to know this is a common problem... ahahahah :)
  • dailyorange
    dailyorange Posts: 128
    Options
    When I get hunger pains at night I'll have some peanut butter with cottage cheese. Full of protein and keeps me full =)
  • clearly_ninja
    clearly_ninja Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Big mug of tea usually sorts me out :) skimmed milk though obviously!
  • rachelleahsmom
    rachelleahsmom Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    A couple of ideas in addition to the ones already mentioned.

Set yourself a goal not to eat 2 hours before bed time.

Brush your teeth right after dinner.
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    It's unsettling how many people here are implying or even explicitly saying that eating at night is a "problem".....

I had a 280 calorie shake containing 22g of carbs and 42g of protein last night around 12:15am, then went upstairs, brushed, and went to bed. This was a *slightly* later than usual last meal, but I thought nothing of it. I had no reservations about it. I had finished a late night workout, so naturally I needed to eat, and I needed the calories to stay on track with my plan. I weighed in this morning back at my record low weight, which I hit a few days ago, and I will probably bust through to a new low within the next few days.

The "don't eat late at night thing" is an old myth. If you follow this rule, you aren't helping yourself. You are creating a handicap.
  • zeeeb
    zeeeb Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    this is the killer for me... i'm not hungry, i don't need a meal (i've just had tea) but my partner works nights, so i'm watching tv, and it's a bad habit that's hard to break sitting at eating.

i often start doing some situps in front of the tv to get my mind off of food, but i also save some calories so i can have something in the evening. i try not to eat after 8pm.
  • bachooka
    bachooka Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    I eat when I'm hungry... but I have noticed a disturbing pattern of eating ridiculously unhealthy things when I munch at night... so I think I'm going to start working on having healthier choices if I have a "midnight snack".
  • skinnyhopes
    skinnyhopes Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Put on candy flavored lip balm.
    Brush your teeth.
    Put hand sanitizer on your hands so you wont eat "finger" foods.

I do that, and it's starting to help me.
  • hellen72
    hellen72 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    My stomach was rumbling at 9.30 tonight so instead of having rice cakes dipped in too much peanut butter I had a load of lettuce and then a few chunks of melon ( ready chopped in fridge). I am still a bit Peckish but will last til bedtime which is in a few mins
  • rachelleahsmom
    rachelleahsmom Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    It's unsettling how many people here are implying or even explicitly saying that eating at night is a "problem".....

I had a 280 calorie shake containing 22g of carbs and 42g of protein last night around 12:15am, then went upstairs, brushed, and went to bed. This was a *slightly* later than usual last meal, but I thought nothing of it. I had no reservations about it. I had finished a late night workout, so naturally I needed to eat, and I needed the calories to stay on track with my plan. I weighed in this morning back at my record low weight, which I hit a few days ago, and I will probably bust through to a new low within the next few days.

The "don't eat late at night thing" is an old myth. If you follow this rule, you aren't helping yourself. You are creating a handicap.

I don't think that people are saying that the time of day is bad. Time of day doesn't matter - it's calories in vs. calories used. The problem is that we tend to eat mindlessly in the evening and that is what we are trying to avoid.