New wardrobe question For the successes out there!

Options
How do you guy go about getting a new wardrobe?

I mean, if you’re halfway where you want to me, in most cases, you have lost a ton of weight already, so you’re old clothes don’t fit. But when you’re still planning on losing more weight, what do you do?

Maybe weight isn’t the right way to say this. Dress sizes. If you start out as a 2XL, say for shirts. Then you lose enough weight to become a XL or L, but you’re not at your goal, and when you get to you’re goal, you’ll probably be a S or a M.

Because you want to look great at a XL and L, right? But you don’t want to waste all the money on amazing clothes, when in 6 months or so, they won’t fit.

I’ve been curious to know how everybody deals with the changing wardrobe while losing weight.

Replies

• HannahPastoor
    Options
    Try going to a second hand shop..That way the stuff is pretty cheap : ) THEN when you reach your goal weight get some nice new stuff....I get all my clothes at second hand stores except jeans.
  • JulyHummingbird
    JulyHummingbird Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I'm there - halfway to my goal. I've bought a few nice things for work and just resigned myself to the fact that I'm only going to have a few outfits right now - and I will give them away when they no longer fit. I've had to buy slacks - three pair at a time - about every two months.

Small price to pay, but I'm managing by having a very small wardrobe at the moment.

Mary
  • superstarcassie
    superstarcassie Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I basically have purchased things along the way- there is no other way. I always check out sales and clearance first. I've changed from a 26 W to a 14 and from 3X to L......so there was NO way in the world I was going to be wearing those old clothes! It makes me feel good to keep getting into smaller clothing and it is very motivating. Just buy the basics or things that you can mix and match to make new outfit combinations. I love clothes so it was no problem to get out there and shop! lol
  • gnastro
    gnastro Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I have a goodwill in my area and that is where I go. They have new stuff with tags still on them from Target where I live.
  • SisterC
    SisterC Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Yes, the thrift stores are the best places to shop while you are changing sizes. Or friends that have clothes in your size to get rid of...Good luck and stay strong on your journey! Hugs, SisterC
  • jaxcpotter
    jaxcpotter Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I bought a few pair of jeans, new dress pants, and work pants because I absolutely had to. A few cute tops, too. Buy a few essentials to get you by. Definitely take advantage of clearance sales and thrift stores!
  • LJCannon
    LJCannon Posts: 3,636 Member
    Options
    I am a 'Frequent Flyer' at the second hand, thrift stores, and Goodwill stores in my area. Plus, I am blessed with friends at the Gym and Church who have given me second hand clothes that are like new. I have always worn 'Nice' clothes, but now I am wearing better quality clothes than I could ever have afforded.
  • sparklesammy
    sparklesammy Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I just seem to be constantly spending money on clothes and clearing old ones that are not that old out! lol!

good feeling though. I think a lot of the clothes i have now i will be able to keep cos im only 12lbs away from target!
  • david081
    david081 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    A nice predicament to be in though! My tops are all a bit baggy, but I can live with it - my trousers are all too loose and I'm on the last hole in my belt! I have a job interview next Wednesday, and just hope my suit doesn't look too ridiculous, as I can't afford a new one right now! I like the idea of checking out the charity shops, they sometimes have nice stuff!
  • jhardenbergh
    jhardenbergh Posts: 1,035 Member
    Options
    I just bought some clothes, I bought them a little tight, but I could fit into. I still have a bunch of clothes that I have not fit into in awhile, so I have been going through old clothes in my closet as well. For pants, those are easy, you can always take them to a tailor and have them altered both in the waist and the leg, I have done that with a few pairs of jeans and dress pants.
  • kelseybee17
    Options
    Thanks everyone for you're input!

I wish I had a nice thrift store here in the tiny town I live in. It's tiny and has really old used clothes, mostly old people or little kid stuff. It also stinks in there.

I think when I get to that stage, I'll just have to live on a small wardrobe, until school comes back around in September. I hope to be pretty close to my goal weight by then. So, I think I'll go school shopping and get a nice amount. :)
  • takingbackalison
    Options
    Walmart =) Or ask around, maybe some family members have some stuff they don't want anymore that'll fit you. Or just get a few things. Like I just bought a new pair of pants that were like $20 and thats the only thing I've had to buy new.. Lucky for me I've never been too big on top so even with losing 30lbs, my shirts still fit sorta.. Some are big but some that used to be tight on me, now fit.
    The way I see it is like say you go spend a little on clothes that fit you better now, You'll be able to see the difference even better when you start losing the rest of your weight that you wanna lose. Like you'll be able to see the difference even more from your new clothes.
  • Queen_Mom
    Queen_Mom Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    You would be suprised what you can find on sale on the internet and some of the sites, if you register, will send you coupons for a percentage off or free shipping. When I go shop and try clothes on, I write down the brand and style number and see if I can find it somewhere, even on ebay. I live in a small town too and I went froma size 20 to an 8 on a small budget and never paid full price for any of my new (or new to me) clothes. I know that it can be difficult to find clothes at a reasonable price when you are looking for short term wear.
  • bmmadden
    bmmadden Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I would buy a few nice pieces you like at like walmart or something and then shop mainly at thrift stores until you meet your goal and then work on a new wardrobe then
  • kimcat73
    kimcat73 Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    Not that this is any help to you, but I go shopping in my closet because I have yo-yo'd so much in my life, I have everything from a 14/16 up to 26/28. But I definitely agree with the thrift store idea. I recently spent a bunch on workout clothes because those I didn't have from yo-yo'ing ... obviously or I wouldn't have been yo-yo'ing, I would have been losing! LOL
  • Dottie27
    Dottie27 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your weight loss! I would recommend buying just a few jeans and about five or six favorite tops. Wow, just think of how people who haven't seen you all summer, will react to your weight loss this fall! Also, I have heard of a site where you can buy and sell clothes. Maybe if you search, you will find it.
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    I hit up the outlets.
  • grover0ca
    grover0ca Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I have been buying alot of new clothes lately..I still have more to lose but I feel so much better if I am wearing outfits that fit great & look great..it is a good motivator for me an I consider it money well spent :bigsmile: But I do try to buy on sale..I don't buy pieces that cost alot..they just have to be things I really love:flowerforyou:
  • GeekMomma42
    Options
    If you don't have Thrifts in your area, try eBay or freecycle. I've bought a few things on eBay that I've loved for pretty cheap (including the $40 gown I needed for a wedding). I've also gotten a few things off freecycle (free is always good).
  • khrys1
    khrys1 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I either try to hit Goodwill or another store like that, or go to end of the season sales.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!