Help. Worried about gaining on travel!

Options
I am relatively new to this site. Sure wish I would have known about it sooner! I have lost 35 pounds and have 25 more to go. I have been working out every day! I have monitored my meals and tracked my progress. In just 2 days I will be heading for Europe on a 2 month sabatical visiting several countries and no access to a gym! I have a plan - but I'm not confident it's going to work with no familiar eating haunts, no familiar grocery stores, no gym, and my "vacation" mind set. I will be devasted if I lost the momentum I've gained. Any suggestions?

Replies

• aflane
    aflane Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Walk whenever possible. I remember many years ago when I went to Europe, I ended up losing 12 lbs over a 4 week visit, just due to how much I walked. I think I hiked all of Paris.

Be careful of the baked goods... they're SO much better than what we have here in the States. Remember, the Mediterranean diet is one of the most healthful in the world. You can always fall back on that.
  • Jamie_here
    Options
    Well, you will probably do lots and lots of walking! SO that is good. Just make good choices with your food, and don't get discouraged. Maybe you can get up and take brisk walks every day to keep your cardio up. You will do great! Just remember, even if you go a little astray, get back on track the next day, just don't give up!

Have a great trip!
  • EricJonrosh
    EricJonrosh Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    Don't worry. YOu're probably going to lose weight. Depending on what country, Europeans are much thinner in general, though Scotland has exceeded us in heart disease. The portions should already be smaller than in the U.S. to begin with, and do cardio in your room.

I'm jealous, btw!! Have fun, you'll be fine.

boulet.gif
  • sleeplessincologne
    sleeplessincologne Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    This is gonna be tough but I am sure you can make it when you are prepared. I will be facing a similar problem this summer. All I can tell you is that (of course) every nations cuisine has bad and healthy meals. For example take Seafood instead of Pasta, Yoghurt with fruit instead of Croissant , stuffed peppers and antipasti etc. In the grocery stores you will want to have a look at the nurtitional facts written on the product (every product has to have this) and compare. It will take more time but will be worth it and you will be more aware of the choices you make.
    But I don't think you should avoid all the delicious food. When in Europe, enjoy the stay and try new things but don't gorge. In matters of exercise, just take your running shoes and go for a jog. You will discover the neighborhood and landscape of the place you're living at and stay on track . You could also look up body weight exercises for which you will not need any equipment. I recommend bodyrock (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILiTZi4dQHE)

I hope you have a wonderful time! :)
  • c4297
    c4297 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Everyones right... you will be walking a lot but if you feel you should workout more take a run around there... you might see some neat things and you will get the workout you want! (:
  • nyctraveler
    nyctraveler Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    I go to Europe for work a lot and never really gained bc their food is different. It's much more natural and healthy nit to mention smaller portions
  • EricJonrosh
    EricJonrosh Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    I go to Europe for work a lot and never really gained bc their food is different. It's much more natural and healthy nit to mention smaller portions

23 and you travel to Europe for work? Go on girl!
  • Judee818
    Judee818 Posts: 2
    Options
    Wow! Thanks. I did not know about the Mediterranian diet being so healthy! And I wan't sure walking would do enough compared to the intense gym workout I do every day. I feel much better now! I suppose I'll be doing longer bouts of walking compared to shorter intense workout! Makes sense to me. The pastry . . . . I'll share with others when I can't resist!

Thank you!