Metabolism testing on a cruise?

CakeFit21
CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
edited September 22 in Fitness and Exercise
So, I'm going a cruise in a couple of weeks and they offer body composition analysis and metabolism testing for $35. This is what the little brochure says,

"Find out your body fat percentage, metabolism rate and the best plan for getting your body in shape. Our fitness instructors will offer personalized tips on how to lose more fat, increase metabolism, reduce water retention and boost your energy."

Has anybody done this? Is it a good deal or a scam? I am VERY interested to have this info, but don't want to waste my $$$.
Thoughts?

Replies

• SaraTN
    SaraTN Posts: 536 Member
    Interesting concept. I would be interested in the same thing.... I guess I would call a local sports doctor/teaching hospital to see what they think and ask if there are any specific accreditations you should inquire about etc.
  • tross0924
    tross0924 Posts: 909 Member
    Seems like it would depend on the equipment they use. If it's the electical resistance body fat percentage and then they plug that number into a chart . . . you get that done at most local gyms for cheap. If they do the water displacemnet test and hook you up to a metabolic cart for a while $35 is a screamin deal. See if you can get info and then call around to local gyms to see what they charge for something like that.

Of ciurse if you're gonna use the cruise as a jumping off point to start something, $35 is a smokin deal for that too.
  • I just got back from a cruise that offered this and I did it (paid the $35.00). It was interesting, but a waste of money. One of the cruise ship employees enters you height and weight into a machine and then attaches sticky pads to your right hand and foot. The machine then sends an electric pulse through your body and spits out a bunch of calculations onto a piece of paper. In the end they were trying to sell me a Detox plan for $108 a month, which I turned down. I would not do it again, if I had the choice. Hope this helps.
  • going on a RC cruise? we did in October. they offered an hour long presentation. the first half was interesting and encouraging. the second half was on the detox that works from the outside in...through a bath tub soak that would be absorbed through the skin, and cause a hormone detox from the liver. claiming to detox the liver of toxins. a couple of the ladies were talking as we were leaving the gym that you could buy a similar product at the health store (GNC type store).

i didn't spend the money, but would do the presentation again.

have fun on your cruise!
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Totally helped! Thanks guys, I knew somebody would know :tongue:
  • KDossey
    KDossey Posts: 1 Member
    Exactly right! I got sucked in too. Sounded Good. Exactly that - a Detox program. Cost on my crusie for the Suppliments was about $300.00
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    While I wouldn't go for the detox scam, the bio-impedance as described (with a lead at the hand and foot) is the most accurate form of bio-impedance currently available. If you haven't had your body fat tested and want to, that would be worth the $35. If you have another way of estimating your body fat %, though, don't compare the two as you can only compare readings of the same type.
This discussion has been closed.