Lost 35 pounds so far, but feel stuck now. Help

Options
I have lost 35 pounds in about 8 months. I am losing motivation and having a hard time controlling my eating now. I seem to be not able to stay satisfied on 1200 calories a day. I think I need to increase my exercise. Help. I need to lose another 20 or 25 pounds and it just feels impossible right now.

Replies

• keylareed
    keylareed Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat right now! I started losing weight last June and I lost 25 lbs. before August. Then I took a little hiatus from dieting from August til Jan. I have lost another 10 lbs. or so since Jan., but I have hit a definite plateau.....

We should be weight loss buds!
  • Imthatg1rl
    Imthatg1rl Posts: 109
    Options
    You may need to increase your food intake a bit, maybe throw a protein shake in the mix. Your body gets used to the same caloric intake everyday, so try to vary it some. Same goes for exercise
    You have done a wonderful job, keep up the good work :)
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    I know this isn't going to be what you want to hear, but I feel like reaching 1200 calories as your daily goal (as that is the lowest it will let you set) is the signal to slow your weight loss/wk goals. Once I reached this point (about 8-10 lbs ago) I manually set my calorie goal to the range of my BMR (roughly 1350-1400) and just let the rate of loss take care of itself.

I'm in a similar boat as you (started at 174, now 141 and would ideally like to be 125-130) but at this point, working of the end of the body's fat reserves, I've just come to accept it's just going to be a bit slower. Some days/weeks it feels like nothing is happening, but when I look at the overall loss for the monthI realize that I have lost (its just harder to see).
  • teejies
    teejies Posts: 19
    Options
    Congratulations on your weight loss !! How fantastic.

Do you reward yourself with non food related items when you hit a goal?

As someone who lost 44kgs for my 40th and then put it ALL back on, I am determined that I am in control and not food.

I am in a better head space now, and my health is my most important thing, not my clothing size.

Dont lose heart, keep your water intake up, believe in yourself and maybe try some different exercise - Good luck!!
  • thcri
    thcri Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    1200 calories per day seems extremely low to me.
  • lbrossano
    lbrossano Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    It's what the site calculated for me. ???
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    When I was stressing about my goals, this was helpful for me. It helped keep me on track to know I had a little wiggle room.

It dawned on me that it's not hitting a number exactly, but falling within a range consistently...
    So, I went to the goals section and kept playing with the data I input. to get the following info
    You can figure out yours, but here's the idea...

To lose 1lb/week I get 1240 cal (target)

To lose 1/2lb/week I get 1470 cal

To maintain my GOAL weight I get 1670 cal
    ....unless I consistently go over my target by 400 cal
    I should still lose (maybe a little more slowly, but no reason to throw in the towel).

To maintain my CURRENT weight I get 1720 cal
    ....unless I consistently go over my target goal 500 cal
    I should not gain. So I'm not losing any ground. (I can take a break and then pick-up where I left off)

Even if I am not hitting every goal dead on I'm still doing much than I was before MFP.
    which, for me, is reason enough to stick with it.

Remember, it's not about being perfect it's about doing better.
    No matter where you start from it's all about taking baby steps.
    Later you look back and realize that all those baby steps add up to something substantial.

35 lbs is a great achievement don't throw in the towel because of a plateau. Breath, relax and think about a calorie range.
    I've been on maintain for a month or so because of a health issue. but when I was losing I gave my self a target of 1240. but as long as I fell in the range of min/1200 cals and max 1670 (the amount to maintain my goal weight) I refused to beat myself up. I found that after 3-4 days at 1200-1300 I was feeling too deprived and too hungry and I'd have a 1400-1500 calorie day. I'll never stick to this if I'm feeling deprived all the time. My goal is to be healthy well into my eighties.

Also recently read a couple of articles, one said that one factor in successful weight loss is having measurable goals.
    I think this site is great for that. The other said that the slower you lose weight the more likely you are to keep it off.

Good Luck! Keep at it!
    and
    BE KIND TO YOUR SELF
  • lbrossano
    lbrossano Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. One thing that bothers me too is my weight will go down then back up a couple of pounds within a day or two. I guess I just gotta watch the overall trend.
  • Imthatg1rl
    Imthatg1rl Posts: 109
    Options
    Weigh in once a week to avoid the frustration. your weight can fluctuate as much as 5lbs in one day
    Thanks everyone. One thing that bothers me too is my weight will go down then back up a couple of pounds within a day or two. I guess I just gotta watch the overall trend.
  • meggonkgonk
    Options

Best thing for seeing the overall trend is comparing weight weekly. Even if you weigh everyday, don't compare your weight on Monday to your weight on Tuesday. I keep a calendarish type list (I do night weigh ins MWF when I get home from work just to get a sense of my "real" weight and then my official on Saturday mornings). But the important thing is to compare the numbers weekly- Mondays to Mondays etc.
  • meggonkgonk
    Options
    To lose 1lb/week I get 1240 cal (target)

To lose 1/2lb/week I get 1470 cal

These are the goals I meant when I said you should consider slowing your weight loss per week goal. Right now MFP assigns you 1200 calories because you have it set to lose 1 or 2 lbs a week. You should choose the next lowest loss/wk goal, or manually set your calories higher (and it will project your loss per week based on your manual adjustment)