Has anyone had/going to have Gastric Bypass??

Options
Hi, I am scheduled for Gastric Bypass on Oct 28th. I am interested in talking to others who are going through the process been through the process. I have waited for this for so long but I don't have anyone to talk to.

Replies

• ginahunter00
    Options
    Hi, I am scheduled for Gastric Bypass on Oct 28th. I am interested in talking to others who are going through the process been through the process. I have waited for this for so long but I don't have anyone to talk to.
  • michlingle
    michlingle Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    How much weight do you have to lose? Has your doc asked you to lose some before the surgery?
  • christelpistol
    christelpistol Posts: 246 Member
    Options

this may be a terrible thing to say, but don't they have you go thru some kind of "prep therapy" beforehand? i mean you are about to COMPLETELY change your life and they haven't given you ANYONE to talk to? no support groups? no other message boards or forums dedicated to gastric bypass?

i know i would have TONS of questions and i would look for ANYONE who had knowledge or experience with it. but, that being said, you made the step to come here. welcome.
  • greenbaum9
    Options
    This is such a drastic decision and your surgery date is coming up so soon, you really need some fast, medical response. if you can try to go to abc.com and go to OPRAH--she's done shows on the subject, try WebMD for some kind of information...but,please get some HELP fast.
    :flowerforyou:
    greenie
  • butterjoy
    butterjoy Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    GINA,
    I SENT YOU A PERSONAL NOTE.

JOY:flowerforyou:
  • donnagilmore
    Options
    Hi, I have had lapband. There is a website called www.obesityhelp.com they are dedicated to weight loss surgery. I know that the surgery can force you to lose weight but there are alot of rules you have to stick to. Its not a fix all by any means. Some people look at it as cheating. Like you didnt work hard to lose all the weight. Thats bull crap and I'm hear to tell you. The band was hard work. I was denied alot of foods that I loved. I was denied nutrician because I couldnt eat alot of types of food my body needed. Since I had my saline removed from band. I have been eating better and feeling much better. DO YOUR RESERCH. I urge you to learn as much as you can. Talk to those who have been there. Try the website its wonderful.
    Good Luck,
    Donna Gilmore
  • butterjoy
    butterjoy Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    HI DONNA,
    I SENT THE SAME INFO TO HER EARLIER. THAT IS TRUE. THE OBESITYHELP.COM IS A FANASTIC SITE TO MEET PEOPLE AND LEARN MORE ABOUT THE DIFFERENT TYPES OF SURGERIES TO LOSE WEIGHT.

JOY :flowerforyou:
  • ginahunter00
    Options
    How much weight do you have to lose? Has your doc asked you to lose some before the surgery?
    I didn't have to lose any preset amunt before surgery but have been asked to go on a 1200 calorie diet 3 weeks before surgery.
  • ginahunter00
    Options

this may be a terrible thing to say, but don't they have you go thru some kind of "prep therapy" beforehand? i mean you are about to COMPLETELY change your life and they haven't given you ANYONE to talk to? no support groups? no other message boards or forums dedicated to gastric bypass?

i know i would have TONS of questions and i would look for ANYONE who had knowledge or experience with it. but, that being said, you made the step to come here. welcome.
    I did go through about 9 months with a group program and I feel I made the correct decision my surgeon has answered all my questions but suggested a support group to talk to people who have had or are going to go through the same situation. She felt it would help me deal with the emotional side of presurgery and then surgery she said "who better to talk to then people who are experienceing similar things all people are special and have different circumstances but will go thorough the same issues.
  • ginahunter00
    Options
    Hi, I have had lapband. There is a website called www.obesityhelp.com they are dedicated to weight loss surgery. I know that the surgery can force you to lose weight but there are alot of rules you have to stick to. Its not a fix all by any means. Some people look at it as cheating. Like you didnt work hard to lose all the weight. Thats bull crap and I'm hear to tell you. The band was hard work. I was denied alot of foods that I loved. I was denied nutrician because I couldnt eat alot of types of food my body needed. Since I had my saline removed from band. I have been eating better and feeling much better. DO YOUR RESERCH. I urge you to learn as much as you can. Talk to those who have been there. Try the website its wonderful.
    Good Luck,
    Donna Gilmore
    Thanks so much for your message I will go to the website I think I saw it on a search but didn't go in because of the name. I appreciate the time you took in responding to my question.
  • ginahunter00
    Options
    This is such a drastic decision and your surgery date is coming up so soon, you really need some fast, medical response. if you can try to go to abc.com and go to OPRAH--she's done shows on the subject, try WebMD for some kind of information...but,please get some HELP fast.
    :flowerforyou:
    greenie
    Just looking for someone to talk to about how they felt as their surgery date approached. I have questions like did you get put on a 1200 calorie diet? Were you hungry? Were you able to work and still cook for your family things like that. I know I have made a sound medical decision. Thanks for responding to my message that was very kind of you.