Cooking Challenge: Asparagus

Options
inskydiamonds
inskydiamonds Posts: 2,519 Member
Welcome to the twenty-third round of the cooking challenge! This week's ingredient comes to us from Soccordot who was the winner of the Brussels sprouts challenge.

asparagus.jpg

This week's challenge is ASPARAGUS.

These are the rules for the challenge:

1. You don't need to have created the recipe from scratch, but you DO need to make it.
2. Voting will be put up for the challenge and the winner of the challenge will pick the next ingredient to be used.
3. Pictures are encouraged but not required. If you want to post a picture upload it on a website like photobucket.com or tinypic.com . If there's any questions about how to do that, don't be shy to ask me.
4. You do need to post the recipe you used so other people can try it too, if they so please.
5. If you used a recipe from another source give credit to the original creator!
6. Your recipe can be a breakfast, lunch, dinner, snack, or dessert! Anything!

Fill out the following form to play:

NAME OF RECIPE:
INGREDIENTS:
DIRECTIONS:
CALORIES PER SERVING:
HOW MANY IT SERVES:
OPINIONS ON HOW IT TASTED, ETC:
PICTURE (optional):

Voting for this challenge will begin next Saturday March 19th at 5PM Pacific Standard Time.

Replies

• Just_Dot
    Just_Dot Posts: 2,289 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • meagalayne
    meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • Just_Dot
    Just_Dot Posts: 2,289 Member
    Options
    NAME OF RECIPE: Pan-Fried Asparagus

INGREDIENTS:
    * 1-2 tablespoons unsalted butter
    * 1-2 tablespoons olive oil (I usually do 2 turns of the pan
    * 1 teaspoon coarse salt
    * 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
    * 3 cloves garlic, minced
    * 1 pound fresh asparagus spears, trimmed

DIRECTIONS:

1. Drizzle the olive oil in a pan, add the butter and seasonings. When the butter is melted, saute the asparagus until crisp tender, and add the garlic at the very end after lowering the heat.

CALORIES PER SERVING: 139 calories per serving

HOW MANY IT SERVES:4

OPINIONS ON HOW IT TASTED, ETC: This is my favorite way to make asparagus...the garlic adds a great kick to it!
  • LareishaH
    LareishaH Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    bump
  • meagalayne
    Options
    Threw this together with the boyfriend a few weeks ago. Enjoy!

Orange Pork and Asparagus Stir Fry
    Serves 3

1 Tbsp olive oil
    12 oz lean pork loin (we used super lean boneless chops), cut into 3/4 inch pieces
    1 Tbsp cornstarch
    2.5 Tbsp less sodium soy sauce, divided
    1/2 large onion, chopped
    l large carrot, chopped
    1/2 bunch asparagus, chopped into 1 inch pieces
    1/4 cup pure squeezed 100% orange juice
    1 tsp brown sugar
    1/2 tsp hot pepper sauce (we use sriracha)
    1/2 cup jasmine rice

In a medium bowl, toss together pork pieces, cornstarch and 1 Tbsp of soy sauce. Marinade for 20 mins in the fridge (or however long it takes you to prep everything else).
    Combine remaining soy, orange juice, brown sugar, and hot pepper sauce in a small bowl and reserve.
    Cook jasmine rice per directions and keep warm (do this while you're stir-frying).
    Heat oil in a medium skillet on medium-high heat. Add pork, stirring every few mins, until browned and just cooked through. Remove with juices and reserve.
    Spray the skillet with cooking spray and add onion and carrot and brown for several minutes. Add a splash or two of water if needed to avoid sticking (and to deglaze the pan) - you may wish to cover for a min or two to steam the carrots and soften them. After 5 mins, add the asparagus and brown for a few more mins - (I like to get some serious colour on my veggies so I keep the heat up and watch them carefully). Once everything is browned and tender, add reserved meat and orange juice mixture. Toss to combine and heat for 2-3 additional mins, until the juice has thickened slightly. Add cooked rice and fold together. Serve immediately.

We mix our rice in, but I suppose you could serve it on the side. Totally up to you! Rough stats for one serving:

Cals 350
    Fat 9
    Protein 27
    Fiber 3

Meag
  • RillSoji
    RillSoji Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    Ashenvale Asparagus

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_1UQT3GbT9CE/TVMJizGO1nI/AAAAAAAAAC0/GuaswjoE47M/s320/AshenvaleAsparagus.png

* 1 bunch Asparagus
    * 1/4 cup Canola Oil
    * Salt
    * Pepper

Preheat oven to 425°. Trim the tough ends off the asparagus, about 1 inch. Spread the asparagus on a baking sheet. Pour oil on top and mix around to coat evenly. Sprinkle with desired amount of salt (about 2 tsp) and pepper (about 1 tsp or more if desired). Bake for 5 minutes on the top rack, stir then bake for another 5 minutes. Serve immediately.
  • inskydiamonds
    Options
    Don't forget to share your favorite asparagus recipes!
  • maeadair
    maeadair Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    Sorry, this is NOT one of my favorite foods, I really do not like it nor beets. :-)
  • inskydiamonds
    Options
    Enter the asparagus challenge by tonight!!
  • sleepwboss
    sleepwboss Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    NAME OF RECIPE: BROILED ASPARAGUS WITH GARLIC SAUCE

INGREDIENTS:
    2 pounds fresh asparagus (900g)
    3 to 4 cloves garlic, peeled
    4 tablespoons unsalted butter (60ml)
    salt and freshly ground pepper

Rinse the asparagus; do not break off the tough ends. Using a vegetable peeler, peel the asparagus from about halfway down the stalk to the thick end. Break or cut the asparagus at the weak point were the thick end starts and tender one stops.

Place the thick, tough ends and the garlic cloves in a small saucepan and barely cover with water. Bring them to a boil over medium heat and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes, until tender.

Meanwhile, preheat oven tobroil. Place tender parts of the asparagus and one tablespoon melted butter on cooking sheet. Broil until tender watching to be sure asparagus does not burn, approximately 5-8 minutes depending on their size.

When the stalks simmering in the water with the garlic are tender, puree in a bledner with the garlic, remaining 3 tablespoons of butter and cooking liquid. Add salt and pepper. Pour sauce over broiled asparagus tips and serve immediately.

Modified from a recipe in "Herbs in the Kitchen, A Celebration of Flavor" by Carolyn Dille

CALORIES PER SERVING: 103
    Carbs: 1
    FAT: 8
    Protein 6
    Sodium 168
    Cholestrol: 20

HOW MANY IT SERVES: 6

HOW IT TASTES: scrumptious! Best way to make asparagus is to broil it as it does not get mushy. The garlic sauce is very yummy AND it uses up the tough stems that normally we just throw away. :love:
  • maeadair
    maeadair Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    Threw this together with the boyfriend a few weeks ago. Enjoy!

Orange Pork and Asparagus Stir Fry
    Serves 3

1 Tbsp olive oil
    12 oz lean pork loin (we used super lean boneless chops), cut into 3/4 inch pieces
    1 Tbsp cornstarch
    2.5 Tbsp less sodium soy sauce, divided
    1/2 large onion, chopped
    l large carrot, chopped
    1/2 bunch asparagus, chopped into 1 inch pieces
    1/4 cup pure squeezed 100% orange juice
    1 tsp brown sugar
    1/2 tsp hot pepper sauce (we use sriracha)
    1/2 cup jasmine rice

In a medium bowl, toss together pork pieces, cornstarch and 1 Tbsp of soy sauce. Marinade for 20 mins in the fridge (or however long it takes you to prep everything else).
    Combine remaining soy, orange juice, brown sugar, and hot pepper sauce in a small bowl and reserve.
    Cook jasmine rice per directions and keep warm (do this while you're stir-frying).
    Heat oil in a medium skillet on medium-high heat. Add pork, stirring every few mins, until browned and just cooked through. Remove with juices and reserve.
    Spray the skillet with cooking spray and add onion and carrot and brown for several minutes. Add a splash or two of water if needed to avoid sticking (and to deglaze the pan) - you may wish to cover for a min or two to steam the carrots and soften them. After 5 mins, add the asparagus and brown for a few more mins - (I like to get some serious colour on my veggies so I keep the heat up and watch them carefully). Once everything is browned and tender, add reserved meat and orange juice mixture. Toss to combine and heat for 2-3 additional mins, until the juice has thickened slightly. Add cooked rice and fold together. Serve immediately.

We mix our rice in, but I suppose you could serve it on the side. Totally up to you! Rough stats for one serving:

Cals 350
    Fat 9
    Protein 27
    Fiber 3

Meag

This may be a way I would eat asparagus, if I cut them in very small bites because the rest of this recipe sounds delightful.
  • sleepwboss
    sleepwboss Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Since asparagus is coming up in the garden, thought I'd try one more simple asparagus recipe for dinner tonight:

CREAMY VEGAN ASPARAGUS SOUP

Serves 4

1-1/4 pounds fresh asparagus
    1-1/2 large yellow onions, chopped
    2 cloves garlic, sliced
    1 tablespoon extra virgin coconut oil or olive oil
    5 cups homemade vegetable stock
    salt and pepper to taste

Cut off and discard tough ends of the asparagus. Cut off top 3 inches of the stalks, chop in 1-inch pieces and set aside for use later. Cut the bottoms of the tender stalks into 1/2 inch pieces. Saute the onionsand garlic until they are soft and golden.

In a medium pot, heat the stock and add the cooked onions/garlic and the 1-inch pieces of asparagus stalks. Simmer until the asparagus is soft. Puree the stock with an immersion blender. Season to taste with salt and pepper and add the remaining asparagus tops. Cook until the tops are just tender, about 5 more minutes.

This soup can be served hot or cold.

Calories per serving: 285
    Fat 8.5 grams
    fiber 4.5 grams
    protein 10 grams
    carbs 42 grams
    Cholesterol 3 mg

Tastes very creamy without cream! Tastes like spring on a spoon. :happy: Easy and fast.
  • sceck
    sceck Posts: 219
    Options
    Asparagus with Grape Tomatoes and Feta

10 asparagus spears
    6 grape tomatoes, halved
    1 T. butter
    2 oz. Feta cheese
    1 clove garlic, minced

In large skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Add asparagus spears and garlic, cook till crisp tender. Add grape tomatoes. Cook another minute or two, or until tomatoes soften. Place in bowl; sprinkle with crumbled Feta, serve.

CALORIES: 77 per serving
    SERVINGS: 4

This will make an asparagus lover out of you!
  • corgant715
    corgant715 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    bump
  • MichelleB69
    MichelleB69 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Bump...gonna try the pan fried for dinner tonight; I do something similar but usually broil it in the oven! Thanks!
  • inskydiamonds
    Options
    Sorry this is late!! http://www.scribbld.com/customview.cgi?user=whiskey&styleid=27146
    Vote by Wednesday at 5PM PST!
  • inskydiamonds
    Options
    No votes???!!!
  • meagalayne
    Options
    Where's your recipe, Liz?!?
  • inskydiamonds
    Options
    Where's your recipe, Liz?!?

I forgot :(
  • lsytsma
    lsytsma Posts: 1
    Options
    This is a classic: (I like to omit the celery and add a little mirin and splash of szechuan sauce)

INGREDIENTS
    1 pound salmon, orange roughy, shrimp or scallops
    2 tablespoons vegetable oil
    10 ounces asparagus, fresh or frozen
    1/2 cup diced onions
    1/2 cup celery, sliced diagonally
    1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
    1 can sliced water chestnuts, drained
    2 cups chicken broth
    2 tablespoons cornstarch
    2 tablespoon soy sauce
    4 cups cooked rice
    1/4 cup slivered almonds, toasted

Wash and clean fish or shrimp. Cut into 1-inch cubes, if necessary. In large nonstick fry pan or wok, heat oil.
    Stir-fry seafood until fish flakes or seafood is done. Remove from pan. Place asparagus, onions, celery and mushrooms in hot pan and stir-fry about 3 minutes or until just crisp-tender. Add water chestnuts and chicken broth. Heat, stirring frequently, until liquid starts to boil.
    Combine cornstarch and soy sauce. Add to hot mixture, stirring constantly. Continue cooking and stirring about 3 minutes or until mixture thickens and starch is cooked. Return seafood to pan and continue cooking until hot.
    Serve immediately over hot rice and garnish with almonds.
    Makes 6 servings