Breast Reduction Surgery...

Options
I am not sure where to post this, so I guess here is as good a place as any. Has anyone out there in MFP-land had breast reduction/lift surgery post weight loss? I am thinking is a route I may wind up taking. The only thing is I don't believe I am done having children and am a staunch supporter of breast feeding. Has a reduction/lift/implant for volume effected anyone in this way? I am worried that if I have surgery that I will loose my ability to nurse. I know this is something to ask a doctor, and I will, but I am also looking for real life experience. Ladies?

Replies

• HBean
    HBean Posts: 55
    Options
    Hi,
    I've had breast reduction surgery and it was the best thing I ever did. It was a tough invasive operation though and the doctors said I may not be able to breastfeed when I have children as the milk ducts may have been damaged by the surgery. Your doctor will be able to give you a lot of information obviously but if you have any questions just drop me a message. I had it done because I was having back pain (I went from a 32HH to a 32D).
    Good luck with whatever you choose :smile:
  • suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    ive had a breast lift, but if youre not sure youre done having children and want to breastfeed, its probably better to wait, as a breast lift will very likley sever the milk ducts.
    I waited till id finished having kids before having my surgery for this reason :)
  • purple1butterfly
    purple1butterfly Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    I have not had a breast reduction but i think i might end up having one. I will have to wait & how my weight comes off first.
  • ResilientWoman
    ResilientWoman Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Before my daughter, I wore a 40B. During pregnancy, I quickly balooned up to 56HH. :frown: Having been flat-chested all my life and having not worn a bra for over ten years previous and having not ever imagined needing to again, I would like to speak to this. The health problems most women experience from large breasts can not stand up to the power of my latest training tool. For the last year and a half, I've been lifting Russian Kettlebells. The Kettlebell bent row alone has transformed my life. I will never need reduction surgery because of poorly trained muscles. Now my muscles are more than adequate for an amount of cleavage to which I still haven't quite (socially) adjusted.

My daughter is just weaning now at age 5 1/2 years. I have had no pain related to my breasts since a few short weeks of training with my coach. I've remained strong, pain free and a bra is an option, not a requirement, since July 2009. My solution was to get my lats firing and train them and my pecs, etc. to effortlessly support my breasts as well as my life. Your solution may be different. I also want to recommend Enell sports bras for a sexy option that will allow even a woman of my endowment to *RUN* with zero bounce. Their products are designed for plus size women and women of ample endowment. :heart: :happy:
  • Mountain_woman
    Mountain_woman Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    So are you saying you've exercised your breasts smaller or that you have gotten them to a place? I want to understand what you are communicating to me. I am happy to say, I am developing pec muscles. (I can even do that funny dancing thing guys can do.) But the girls themselves are in a sad state. I was under the impression that there was zero I could do to shrink or lift those bad boys short of surgery.

I weened my daughter at 2 years. I loved breast feeding. It was an incredibly rewarding experience that was worth all the collateral damage my breasts took. :blushing: :blushing:
  • elliecolorado
    elliecolorado Posts: 1,040
    Options
    For a lot of women the first place they start to lose is their breasts! I know when I have started to lose weight before that is one of the first places I started to lose (and was the one place I didn't want to). I am the opposite here and have already decided that if I lose my boobs I'm getting implants!
  • Sadie98072
    Sadie98072 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I had a breast reduction in my early 20's before I lost any weight. I was told at the time that it probably would effect my ability to breast feed, but I felt like it was more important to my back and self esteem to get them operated on.
    I am now 35 and have never regretted my decision to have the operation. I was not able to properly breast feed but it was much more likely because a) I was exhausted, b) had twins, and c) never shown properly how to do it.
    Dont know it that helps you any?
  • Mountain_woman
    Mountain_woman Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I appreciate all the feedback, ladies. Point of reference. At my biggest, I was a 42 G, I am currently a 36 D-DD. Sadly lacking volume though. Sigh...hardly seems fair that men can exercise their moobs away and women tend to be left with a much less pleasing effect. (Generally speaking, not all.)
  • suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    i went from pretty much flat, to a FF cup in my pregnancy and then back down again with the resulting carnage as you can imagine - the empty sock look is not a good one. I actually had implants as well as an uplift, and its one of the best things i ever did for myself. I didnt go huge or anything, but it really balanced out my figure, as i was always so pear shaped before. Really helped my body confidence.
  • Angierae75
    Angierae75 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I had a bread reduction PRE weight loss because my 40I breasts were just too big to exercise in any sort of way. My surgeon said that I shouldn't see any sagging or problems unless I lose 50 lbs or more, since she removed most of the fat from my breasts and what's left is breast tissue. I'm planning on losing about 50-60 pounds and then we'll see how my breasts look and decide to go farther or not.

Best decision I EVER made. I can do aerobics, or running, or anything and my perfectly perky 38C's don't move an inch. ;)