eating all my calories for dinner

Options
I have noticed I am eating most of my calories for the day at my night meal. Is anyone else having a problem with this? Can anyone tell me if this is really bad? I always cook dinner for my family and that is the time of day I am finally relaxed and feel like I can enjoy what I am eating.

Replies

• spcopps
    spcopps Posts: 283
    Options
    I do the same thing..with a DH and 3 small children I cook dinner every night and most of my calories also come from this meal...like almost half for the day! It hasn't hindered my weight loss, at least not yet. What time do you have dinner? We usually eat at 5 so I don't think that is too late. I usually have a snack afterwards also.
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    Eating 'late' is never a bad thing. Your body doesn't shut off when you go to bed, it still works. Eating a days worth of calories in one meal though, I could see that as a hindrance. Your metabolism and digestion are set up to work around the clock. If you don't eat anything all day, they can get bored, in a way. Then you suddenly bombard them with all your calories at once, and they can't break it all down like they should. Some of it can go straight to the storage (fat!) and you might miss out on benefits like nutrient and vitamin absorption. If at all possible, see if you can break up your day into meals. Maybe 2 meals, then 3, then 4. At best, you will want to eat 100-300 calories every 2-3 hours. This keeps your body 'busy' and gives it plenty of time to digest and handle the small amount you are offering throughout the day. I understand it is a big change to do this, but give it a shot when you can. :smile:
  • ProTFitness
    ProTFitness Posts: 1,379 Member
    Options
    If your trying to loose weigh you should try to get most of your calories 3/4 of them in before dinner and save the last 400-500 for that meal. Not eating enough during the day can cause binging later becasue you had not got enough calories in. You want your biggest meal to be breakfest not dinner
  • ruby70
    ruby70 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    we eat around 6:30 and then I have been doing good on nothing else for the day. I didn't even know I was doing this until I started tracking my calories food journal this week. I only get around 1200 calories per day and that does not seem to go far. I have a slimfast for breakfast and then a salad for lunch. Everything is looking good until dinner time. Yesterday I we went to my dad's for dinner and I knew it would be a big meal so I hardly ate anything during the day. I was so hungry by the time we got there i totally blew it and started eating junk. :sad:
  • kao708
    kao708 Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    Eating a larger portion at dinner is normal for a lot of people but you need to make sure you are still fueling your body during the day by eating something. If you don't feed your body throughout the day your metabolism will slow down and those large evening meals may become a problem. Try to spread the calories out more and don't save them all for dinner every night! Good luck!
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Your calories should be more evenly spaced throughout the day. It's very difficult for your body to run on few calories for most of the day and over time that can create a response similar to starvation mode. Eating most of your calories at night also means that you're more likely to eat more carbs and fat than your body can use for energy, which means the excess, which would be A LOT, would get stored as fat.

Plan your day ahead of time, that way you'll be able to evenly space your calories through the day and you'll make sure you're eating the right amount, including exercise calories.
  • lodro
    lodro Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    If your trying to loose weigh you should try to get most of your calories 3/4 of them in before dinner and save the last 400-500 for that meal. Not eating enough during the day can cause binging later becasue you had not got enough calories in. You want your biggest meal to be breakfest not dinner

I eat like this every day ( Leangains, intermittent fasting) and I've never binged during my eating window. Rather the opposite. Also the entire "breakfast is the most important meal of your day" doctrine, I don't see the sense of it. There were however some studies, carried out with money from cereal makers that hammered this into us.
  • lfafnis
    lfafnis Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing, I do that too. Just be sure you are giving your body some fuel periodically thru out the day. That helps the body release actual fat, instead of hanging on to it for fuel. A doctor told my husband that recently. It helps in losing belly fat especially.:wink:
  • Spayrroe
    Spayrroe Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I agree with what a lot of people are saying for an 'ideal' arrangement. I have two small children and a picky husband (who does not like fish or chicken, and only grudgingly accepts pork), so I am kind of in the same boat. When it comes to breakfast, lunch, and snacks, I have a lot of stuff on hand to make single serving things. Dinner, well I tried cooking something diet-y for myself and then something 'normal' for them, and it was just too much hassle.

I try to limit my breakfast and lunch to under 700 calories (combined, so if I want something semi bad for breakfast, I just do an extra healthy lunch, or vice versa). My snacks I limit to under 100 cals each (because my personal rule is that if it's over 100 cals, it's not a snack). Now, some days, I do great during the day and have like 1500 cals left for dinner so I decide we're having cheese steak night. If I've had a day where I've really been pushing my personal rule limits, then I make a more healthy dinner (and usually I'll warm up some of the canned chicken I keep on hand to have as my protein while hubby and kids have some kind of beef).

Anyway, the short of it, I've been doing really well in losing weight. After less than a month, I can already fit into some clothes that I haven't been able to wear since last year. I'm sure if I balanced everything out more and made sure that every 'meal' had about the same amount of cals, and every snack did too, it would help. Just like, currently I go to the gym in the evenings, but I know that if I went in the morning it would be better for me. There's the 'ideal' and then there's what's practical. I've been doing much better than I expected from dieting and exercise, so I don't think you've got much to worry about.
  • steffilily
    steffilily Posts: 149
    Options
    I do the same also. Most of my calories are at dinner time because that is the time of day where I get the most hungry. I've been doing it that way forever, and since I started MFP I changed the calories per meal and snack but still do most at dinner time. I am still losing my goal weight each week. I tell myself that when I hit a plateau, I might change the calories around at mealtimes to see if it'll stop the plateau.
  • lodro
    Options
    Your calories should be more evenly spaced throughout the day. It's very difficult for your body to run on few calories for most of the day and over time that can create a response similar to starvation mode. Eating most of your calories at night also means that you're more likely to eat more carbs and fat than your body can use for energy, which means the excess, which would be A LOT, would get stored as fat.

Plan your day ahead of time, that way you'll be able to evenly space your calories through the day and you'll make sure you're eating the right amount, including exercise calories.

Any proof for what you're saying? I'm not trying to be difficult here, but the "stoking your metabolism" thought is not really backed up by research either.

One advantage of consuming all calories that are allotted to you within a couple of hours (4 in my case, 6 for most people who practice intermittent fasting) is that at least one time a day you'll have a satisfying "full" meal, instead of getting hungry 6 times a day on smaller quantities of food. I need to drastically reduce my calories and I've found that intermittent fasting is the only way I can feasibly do this. It's not for everything, and I'm in a special category, I'm aware of that. But I've also learned that many of the myths surrounding meal frequency or composition just don't hold true.
  • lodro
    Options
    we eat around 6:30 and then I have been doing good on nothing else for the day. I didn't even know I was doing this until I started tracking my calories food journal this week. I only get around 1200 calories per day and that does not seem to go far. I have a slimfast for breakfast and then a salad for lunch. Everything is looking good until dinner time. Yesterday I we went to my dad's for dinner and I knew it would be a big meal so I hardly ate anything during the day. I was so hungry by the time we got there i totally blew it and started eating junk. :sad:

you might want to look into intermittent fasting. i struggled with my calorie intake until i started throwing caution to the wind. :)
  • lodro
    Options
    I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing, I do that too. Just be sure you are giving your body some fuel periodically thru out the day. That helps the body release actual fat, instead of hanging on to it for fuel. A doctor told my husband that recently. It helps in losing belly fat especially.:wink:

I wonder at that doctor's schooling
  • ruby70
    ruby70 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your suggestions! That helps me and I do not feel so alone. I love this website and your all fabulous!
  • Nanette1965
    Options
    I tried it all. one meal a day plan, breakfast as the most important meal of day, three meals, six meals, etc.
    I think it all depends on your schedule and your work and home requirements of your time. So I am no fan of any
    of the options cause it also depends on the time of the year. But I find a binge the most when I am not eating during the day
    at regular intervals of about 200-300 calories per meal. I also find that the more I exercise the harder night time gets as I am starving
    at that point. So a change in protien and carb levels are required.
    But like I said you have to adapt with your life to find a situation that works. Now if I could find someone else to diet for me. . .lol!
  • ahsongbird
    ahsongbird Posts: 712 Member
    Options

I wonder why you think your opinions are so much more relevant than a doctors? You seem to be critisizing everything on this post.
  • callipygianchronicle
    callipygianchronicle Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    We all do the best we can, especially when balancing the eating needs of other people (husbands, children, etc.). But, it looks like there is some research to support the idea that while eating meals infrequently can increase weight-loss, it has some other poor effects when it comes to overall health (http://www.ars.usda.gov/is/pr/2008/080215.htm).

FTA:
    The first study analysis showed that consuming a one-meal-per-day diet, rather than a traditional three-meal-per-day diet, is feasible for a short duration. It showed that when the volunteers were "one-mealers," they had significant increases in total cholesterol, LDL "bad" cholesterol and in blood pressure, compared to when they were "three-mealers."

The changes in cardiovascular disease risk factors occurred despite the fact that the one- mealers saw slight decreases in their weight and fat mass in comparison to when they were three-mealers. Those findings were published in the April 2007 issue of the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition.
  • lfafnis
    Options
    Thanks hon, my thoughts about him exactly..... Is he a doctor? :laugh:
  • lfafnis
    Options
    Ruby70 - Careful with lodros idea of intermittent fasting! I am far from an expert in any of this, so if you want real advice I would speak with Doctors or nutritionists. However, I have lost 95 lbs, so I think I know a little. I can tell you that fasting/starvation is NOT the answer. Been there done that, it has the opposite affect from what you want. Your body does need food for fuel everyday. Good luck!!
  • lodro
    Options

I wonder why you think your opinions are so much more relevant than a doctors? You seem to be critisizing everything on this post.

Mainly because many physicians know next to nothing about nutrition, and hence their opinion is just as good as yours, or mine.

(Adding that i am in a calorie restriction program that _is_ medically supervised and is part of a study on calorie restriction and brain tumor growth.)