Weak and Shaky while working out

Options
Hi,

I find that I am weak and shaky while exercising. This happens sometimes, not all the time.

I eat pretty much the same breakfast everyday. Fiberone cereal with skim milk and a coffee. I do a brisk walk for 45 to 75 mins shortly after this. I seem to run out of steam some days about half way through, shaky and fatigued. I will get home and eat something and usually feel better after a short rest.

I am a nurse and have felt this feeling before when I am at work. That feels like I am "so hungry that I am shaking". I checked my blood sugar and found it to be normal.

I think I am missing out on something in my diet. Not so much that I am not eating enough but maybe just eating the wrong thing.

Any input would be appreciated! Mary

Replies

• yoghurtand
    yoghurtand Posts: 119
    Options
    When I get this, it is invariably because I'm not eating enough. Your cereal is almost definitely less than 250cals, right? You need a good balance of carb/fat/protein everyday, and if you don't get it, you'll suffer. An example of what you eat in a day and how much exercise you do would be good for everyone to give you more advice; we could see what exactly you could be lacking.
  • brbmom
    brbmom Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I used to have a trainer at the gym who told me that it's best to have a high protein meal before a workout. It could also be the caffeine from the coffee. Those are the only two things I could think of. I hope you find something that works. Good luck.
  • lutzsher
    lutzsher Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    Make sure to add in a few big glasses of water before that activity as well. My Mom gets pretty severe reactions to being dehydrated, much like you have described, at times.
  • bugnbeansmom
    bugnbeansmom Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I would say you want to add some protein to your breakfast. Eggs are a great source of protein and they can be reasonable on calorie count as long you don't fry them. Maybe keep some hard boiled and ready for you. Or try a smoothy with protein powder. The sugar from the friut might help as well.
  • ChessRonin
    ChessRonin Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    What do you eat between breakfast and the time that you get shaky? You should eat every three hours or so, and eat the right things.
  • calliope_music
    calliope_music Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    definitely some more protein! maybe add a serving of greek yogurt and a banana as well? or, toast with PB is good for energy too. and remember to drink lots of water!
  • fitterpam
    fitterpam Posts: 3,086 Member
    Options
    I'm doing some research on my own and found that I'm not getting enough potassium (even with a multivitamin). Potassium deficiencies can lead to muscle weakness (including shakiness). Check your reports and look at your potassium levels for the last 90 days. If you're like me, you're not eating nearly enough (I'm usually about 3000mg under the RDA).

Foods high in Potassium include:
    Bananas
    Oranges
    Apricots
    Avocado
    Strawberries
    Potatoes
    Tomatoes
    Cucumber
    Cabbage
    Cauliflower
    Chard
    Bell pepper
    Eggplant
    Squash
    Crimini mushrooms
    Brussels sprouts
    Turmeric
    Parsley
    Spinach
    Broccoli
    Tuna
    Halibut
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I used to get this when I had a very low body fat % and was eating too little/working out too much. I didn't get it as a teenager, but once I hit about 23 I couldn't push myself like I could before. I think at a certain point your body doesn't want to get thinner/work harder.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    I disagree with everyone here. It's not WHAT you're eating, but how much and how long before you work out. You have to find the perfect amount of time in between eating and working out. I find before an hour or so of strength training, I can eat something (usually mostly carbs but with sufficient protein & fiber as well - such as some type of Kashi or Fiber One cereal with 2% milk) 30 minutes before my work out. If I'm running, I can eat a full regular meal that is about half protein and the rest carbs and veggies an hour before I work out. This allows me enough energy to get through the work out but enough time before that I don't feel like I'll throw up.

You have to find YOUR sweet spot. I used to eat just carrots and hummus about 30 mins before my strength work out and that got me through - but that was when I was working out at the end of the day. I typically work out right after breakfast or after lunch now.
  • maryhamilton65
    Options
    Thanks so much for all the great input. I think I will keep a log of when it happens and compare it to my diet. Maybe I 'll add a bananna to my breakfast routine (just hate to spend alot of the days calories on breakfast!) I just had my potassium checked in some routine labwork and will have to look at those results. Oddly enough, when it happened this morning, it was the morning after one of the biggest calorie days that I have had in a while!

Isn't it funny how much better we can "hear" our bodies "talk" when we are paying attention to our diet/excercise routine.