The secret to loosing weight & getting in great shape!

Options
To all the lovely (and maybe slightly naive) people out there that are looking for an easy way out, no sweat quick solution. The big secret to loosing weight is *drum roll*......eating healthy and exercising! Running, dancing, sweating, lifting, biking, swimming, sweating some more, walking, jumping rope, sweating yet some more. Not eating candy, not eating fried food, not eating cakes, not eating an excessive amount of white carbs, not eating stuff that are high in calorie. If I forgot something please feel free to add.

Replies

• Macacadopai
    Macacadopai Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    My point being there is no way around it. Hard work & commitment is what it takes. Everything seems to be so easily attainable these days, I constantly have people asking what my "secret is". Is it something I drink before every meal? Some sort of weight loss medicine? Diet shakes? what what what?
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    Shh! It's supposed to be a secret!
  • BroadwayBabe
    Options
    couldn't have said it better myself! hard work and everything in moderation
  • chrisallcock
    Options
    just wondering, do uhave a weight loss success story? :)
  • greeneyed84
    greeneyed84 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    My point being there is no way around it. Hard work & commitment is what it takes. Everything seems to be so easily attainable these days, I constantly have people asking what my "secret is". Is it something I drink before every meal? Some sort of weight loss medicine? Diet shakes? what what what?

Lol, same here. Although I don't agree with the no candy. I allow myself something when I want it but in low quantity but I enjoy it more. It's a treat & not an all day thing.

You gotta eat well get vitamins in, don't feel like you have make big sacrifices. Enjoy your food. For.me, this is not a diet but a lifestyle change
  • TracieJ65
    TracieJ65 Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    I saw an acquaintance, the other day, and she very quietly asks, "did you have surgery?" I said "NOPE!" she asks, "what did you do?" I said "calories in, calories out!" "I count every calorie that goes in m mouth and I work out an hour to an hour and a half every single day!" she said "OH" "well you look great!" like it was some big secret, or mystery, as to how I was losing weight.
  • Amandac6772
    Amandac6772 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    Shh! It's supposed to be a secret!

Bahahahaha too funny! The secrets out now...everyone will be skinny.
  • backinthenines
    backinthenines Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    I constantly have people asking what my "secret is". Is it something I drink before every meal? Some sort of weight loss medicine? Diet shakes? what what what?

I get a lot of that. :huh:

And their disappointed faces when you say...
    - don't eat for two
    - make better nutritional choices
    - do cardio
    - strength train
    - that's it...
    - no really...
    - that's it...
  • Cmuchoa
    Cmuchoa Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Well I totally agree with what you are saying but please try and to consider and remember that not all people can be as aggressive as others in all the aspects you mention - age, childbearing, raising a family , health and financial issues also come into play. Hope you stay young, healthy and wealthy all the time and never get old. Perhaps your attitude will change as you get older and see for yourself.
  • momogogo
    momogogo Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Well I totally agree with what you are saying but please try and to consider and remember that not all people can be as aggressive as others in all the aspects you mention - age, childbearing, raising a family , health and financial issues also come into play. Hope you stay young, healthy and wealthy all the time and never get old. Perhaps your attitude will change as you get older and see for yourself.
    I beg to differ politely. I go to a very large and busy gym here in Las Vegas and I see many people in their 50's and older running on the tread mill or taking Zumba. The secret is to move at all to the best of your ability. I had 4 kids. I go to school. I have a full time job. A husband etc. I am doing it because it is a priority. The financial issue? You can excersize for free. However, I do pay $22 a month for my gym memebership. It was costing me $120.00 a month to eatout and Starbucks. So basically it is saving me money to have a healthier lifestyle. I just stopped making excuses.
  • Macacadopai
    Options
    I beg to differ politely. I go to a very large and busy gym here in Las Vegas and I see many people in their 50's and older running on the tread mill or taking Zumba. The secret is to move at all to the best of your ability. I had 4 kids. I go to school. I have a full time job. A husband etc. I am doing it because it is a priority. The financial issue? You can excersize for free. However, I do pay $22 a month for my gym memebership. It was costing me $120.00 a month to eatout and Starbucks. So basically it is saving me money to have a healthier lifestyle. I just stopped making excuses.

momogogo you are my hero! :)
  • Macacadopai
    Options

So you are saying that I'm young and naive because I suggest exercise & healthy food is the way to get fit?
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    friends ask me what my secret is alot! I tell them it's this diet pill yet to be approved by the FDA and can only get overseas.
    when they ask for a website or phone # I write this on piece of paper. 1800MOVEURA** :bigsmile:

sadly the slower ones actually try to dial the number a few times before I have to point it out

and before anyone says how dare you and you're an a-hole for saying such things, yes I know.
  • backinthenines
    backinthenines Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options

+1000

I know ultra runners who are well into their sixties.

Running costs nothing but the price of a pair of shoes.

I also know plenty of triathletes who successfully manage to combine training whilst having a young family etc.

Excuses... excuses...
  • kwardklinck
    kwardklinck Posts: 1,601
    Options
    Love it!
  • calmmomw3minimeez
    calmmomw3minimeez Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    friends ask me what my secret is alot! I tell them it's this diet pill yet to be approved by the FDA and can only get overseas.
    when they ask for a website or phone # I write this on piece of paper. 1800MOVEURA** :bigsmile:

sadly the slower ones actually try to dial the number a few times before I have to point it out

and before anyone says how dare you and you're an a-hole for saying such things, yes I know.
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Love that!!!
  • Cmuchoa
    Options
    You started yr comments by stating that people are naive which is not a polite opening line to any conversation.

I myself do exercise daily and cook all our meals at home for health and financial reasons.

You can say and do whatever you please - but YOU DO NOT KNOW everyones situation and the reasons they have gained weight. Life throws you a curveball everyone once in a while and you have to deal with it the best you can. Sometimes people fall and fail to do what is best at times. Everyone on this site is here for the same reasons and we all support each other.

Sorry, but your comments seem to lack the respect towards other people and their problems.

Perhaps your attitude needs to be adjusted.

Hopefully your mindset will be more open and considerate with maturity.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    but YOU DO NOT KNOW everyones situation and the reasons they have gained weight.

I have to respectfully disagree.

Whilst she may not know everyone's situation she does know the reason they have gained weight. As do I. As does anyone who has taken the time to do some rudimentary research into this area.

The reason is simple. It's because they consumed more calories than their body needed to maintain itself.

Admittedly some people have a much harder time losing weight than others for a variety of reasons, be they medical conditions or so on. That sucks but that's life. You either accept it and deal with it or stay fat.

It's astonishing the amount of people I have seen who swear black and blue they cannot lose weight yet ask them what their maintenance level of calories per day and they simply have no clue. They cannot even given you an approximation. Their mouths drop open and they look baffled like you have asked them to provide a proof for Fermat's last theorem.

There is so much free information out there that you have to ask yourself: why do some people simply not make any effort to understand and plan what they have to do. If you fail to prepare, prepare to fail...
  • Cmuchoa
    Options
    When I read the topic posted I thought perhaps somebody actually discovered the Fountain of Youth and I wanted in.

My comments were to simply open her eyes to the real world and not to argue the point - as there seems to be no end.

Yes, eating right and daily exercise is fantastic and a almost guarantee that you will stay in shape.

So, that being said, I hope all people, young and old, remember those simple rules and try their very best to stay on the right track.

In addition to all of the above, I hope that everyone always has a skip in the walk, a penny in their pocket, love in their heart, never know what it is like to loose love, or a dear friend, parent, husband, wife or child. If this should ever happen to you day, pray to God that you stay focused and take care of yourself.

I do not mean to sound like a "Debbie Downer" but anyone's life can change drastically in a minute.

To be able to lend support, motivation or inspiration to someone in need is a blessing in itself. This world is filled with too many mean people and it would just be great to have some people come down off their high horse and be more sympathetic to others.

Now I have to go now as we have a very important date with a fantastic surgeon at the hospital who will hopefully try and perform a miracle on my husband. I pray that God is standing close by both of these men today. Thanks and have a great day !
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options

Now I have to go now as we have a very important date with a fantastic surgeon at the hospital who will hopefully try and perform a miracle on my husband. I pray that God is standing close by both of these men today. Thanks and have a great day !

I have my fingers crossed for your family.

Keep your head up, stay strong and good luck. I know what it's like....