My first 10K run

Options
Hi everyone,

6 months in and 60lbs lost, I thought it was about time I stepped up my exercise regime. I play football (soccer) every week and I've been going to the gym, but from what I've read going running can really help to burn fat. The trouble is, I've never been much of a runner - I don't think I've even run half a mile!

Anyway, I've just signed up for the inaugural "Sunderland City 10K Run". It takes place on 26th June 2011, so I have around 3 months to get ready for it. What advice would you give to someone just starting out? I'm not too worried about the time, I'd just like to complete the course in one piece!

Incidentally, I've decided to do the run for charity to raise some money for Cancer Research. I lost both my Dad and my grandmother to cancer so it's a subject close to my heart. If anyone would like to make a donation, no matter how small, please visit my JustGiving page: http://www.justgiving.com/DanMullenSunderland10K

It's a very worthy cause and you'll be helping to motivate me too!

Thanks very much :)

Dan

Replies

• stephski
    stephski Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi Dan

I started running about three years ago, I found lots useful info and advice on the runners world website. They also have a really useful beginners guide http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/defaulttraining.asp?sp=&v=3

Goodluck with your 10km

Stephanie
  • staceydrewry
    Options
    When I first started running I found that running for a set amount of time and then walking for a set amount of time really helped, and apparently the continual change in speed helps with fat burning. I started at 3min run 2 min walk, but you can pick the times you feel comfortable with, then assess at the end of each week whether you are going to tweek the timings. Dont expect to run 10k straight away but you will be feeling the benefits quickly. Also if you are like me and get leg pain after running, run no more than every other day to give your body time to recover.

Good luck
  • denise_earheart
    Options
    I am jealous!!! I am doing my first ever marathon in a few weeks and its a walk/run and I am no where near being ready to run so I will probably end up walking the whole thing :( I cant wait until I am able to run!!!
  • danmullen
    danmullen Posts: 94
    Options
    Thanks for the advice :) I'm going to do my first run tonight, so we'll see how that goes!
  • backinthenines
    backinthenines Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    3 months is plenty of time to train for a 10k and get round.

Do you have a decent training plan? If not, Hal Higdon writes some nice plans, including very achievable ones for newbies...
    http://www.halhigdon.com/10ktraining/10knovice.htm

General rules of thumbs for new runners:
    - get decent running shoes from a reputable running shop, where your gait has been assessed by staff
    - don't run on consecutive days
    - try to incorporate some runs on softer ground which are easier on your joints, like grass or sand
    - don't increase your distance by more than 10% a week

Enjoy. :drinker:
  • mikeyrp
    mikeyrp Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    Hey fellow 1st time 10K'er

On July 10th I'm doing a 10K run to help some of the the people who help my little sister.

Since she was diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis in 2008 the Sussex MS centre has offered fantastic support. They offer a whole range of classes and therapies which help people with MS both mentally and physically.

You can sponsor me at http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/MikeyP

Dan - Keep me posted on how you get on with your training - and I'm donating £10 to your just giving page!
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I started running in Sept last year and threw myself into a 10k after 8 days of training. You'll be fine! I am planning to do a half marathon for Cancer Research in the Autumn as I lost one of my best friends to cancer 2 weeks ago. Go you!
  • kym38
    kym38 Posts: 48
    Options
    There is a great app for ipod or iphone called Easy to 10K. It's great! I'll be running my first 10K in April! Good Luck.
  • david_swinstead
    david_swinstead Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Good luck bud. I tried training for a half marathon 2 years ago, starting from a similar position to you (on a good day I could run a mile but it would absolutely kill me).

I got to the 6 mile mark after 3 months of training (half marathon is just over 13 miles) and without beign able to see an end in sight, I gave in and it beat me.

It was only recently that I realised 6miles is 10k, which is actually a pretty good achievement, so perhaps if I'd been more realistic with my goals I would've achieved more and been happier with my progress. THEREFORE my advice is to set goals realistically, and review them as you train, and this will keep you motivated.

You must have a good base of fitness if you play football regularly. If I can get to 10k with my feet of concrete, than anyone can.
  • david_swinstead
    david_swinstead Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Oh and also, keep us updated and if you make it to 10k I'd be happy to donate. Cancer is close to me too, I lost my mum a couple of years ago.

I don't check in the forums that often so feel free to send me a message to nag me for some dosh closer to the time.
  • danmullen
    danmullen Posts: 94
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone for all the encouragement :)

Mikey, that is incredibly kind of you, thanks a lot! I'll sponsor you too when I get home this evening. Good luck with your run :)
  • gdunn55
    gdunn55 Posts: 363
    Options
    I just ran my first 5k this past weekend and will run my first 10k next month.
  • mikeyrp
    Options
    Any advice on new trainers? I'm shopping this week as mine seem to be warn out... Best deals seem to be at sports direct?
  • mikeyrp
    Options
    WOW - OK - got some new Nike Air Pegasus yesterday to replace my current Nike Air Pegasus - The styling is a little different but its basically an evolution of the same shoe....

I had been doing 5K, with one 7.5K run - and it was tough - my left shin was really hurting after each run. Today I did 10K in the new shoes and felt fine.

Conclusion - good trainers make a massive difference. Do not skimp here. Replace when they are warn out.

FYI, mine cost £50 from sports direct - they have a sale on at the moment.