Fasting

Options
It's a personal issue so I don't typically "advertise" that I'm fasting but once a week, I fast from food (I will drink a smoothie, etc.). I do it for personal, religious reasons to re-connect with God and spend extra time reading my Bible and in prayer. I'm noticing a trend. I'm staying under my calorie goals each day (very few exceptions), I'm working out daily and I am not losing any weight until the day I fast.

Example: Week before last, my weight-in was 191.0. I maintained 191.0 (yes, I weigh every day - I don't let the scales depress me b/c I know they fluctuate w/ fluid, etc. but it helps me stay accountable) all week and the day after I fasted, I weighed in at 188.4. I've maintained 188.4 every day this week (today is my fast day) and I guarantee I'll be around 186-187 tomorrow for my weigh in. By the way, I didn't pick Tuesday as my weigh in day b/c I fast on Mondays - it just worked out that way.

Anybody else have any experiences w/ fasting & any ideas on why I'm maintaining and not losing except for when I fast? I've only been on mfp for about a week so I'm very new to this stuff!

Replies

• ahartery9891
    ahartery9891 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Well, it makes sense that you would lose weight while you fast - you're not eating!!

Personally, I think this has to do with your diet on your off days. Are you eating a lot of sodium? Are you eating a lot of red meats, potatoes, and high carb foods? How much are you working out?

Maybe your body is just used to the way you eat, and the days you fast kick start your metabolism into high gear; it sounds like your body is used to using this day to get rid of the fat stored in your body from what you're eating the rest of the week.

I would say try switching up your foods during the week and see what happens :)
  • kellymommy
    Options
    I will not be able to add a great response to this topic, but I did want to comment. I just heard part of a sermon on WJIE about how we are called to Pray, Give, AND Fast. I have never fasted because I always felt I was doing it for the wrong reasons (hoping I would lose weight instead of drawing nearer to God). I am a nursing Mom, so I know that I need to consider this when considering a fast period; however, I am looking for ways to draw nearer to the One who created me. I look forward to seeing what others might be able to add to this post.

As a side note, I do know that if you are not eating back the calories that you lost while working out and/or if you are under 1200 Net Calories per day, your body will go into starvation mode and start storing up, resulting in no weight loss or weight gain.

I like to think that God is recognizing your obedience through fasting, and blessing you with you one of your hearts desires, with the weight loss resulting on the following day. God is good.

I do hope that others can shed some light on your true concern here. I will be watching for more responses!

KellyMommy
  • TammyLanham
    TammyLanham Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I'm eating a lot of "clean" foods - salads, veggies, seeds. There is some red meat - but it's deer meat, much lower in fat & almost no sodium. Some roasted potatoes from time to time... I work out every day for 20 min on the eliptical (275 calories) and 3-4 times a week, I walk for 40 minutes (around 250 calories burned each time). 1-2 times a week, I do yoga or pilates. I'll try focusing on the food more this week and avoid the sodium. I drink 15+ glasses of water per day so I thought I shouldn't have much of an issue with sodium. I add salt to nothing.
  • pyro13g
    pyro13g Posts: 1,127 Member
    Options
    Your carb load and the types of carbs are not helping you.
  • getfitgirl1
    Options
    interesting. can't wait to see some responses. i'm struggling to lose weight at 1200 calories and want to dip below and probably will. i know several people who eat less than 1200 and look wonderful! i'm 5 feet tall, so i'm having a hard time trying to figure out why 1200 calories a day is good for me and someone who is 5'7"? i'm so depressed and trying not to give up.
  • TammyLanham
    Options
    KellyMommy,
    It is something I have committed to doing for the past 2 months but have finally started doing the past 3 weeks. Amazing how God uses it to draw me closer to Him and to help me re-focus. I would encourage you to try it - the first time I did, I was wiped out by 2 p.m. and struggled. I gave in & ate around 4. I started doing a partial fast where I fasted until noon, then 2, then through dinner & now it's a full 24 hours. I do drink a fruit smoothie (sometimes I add peanut butter) and it's amazing how that boosts my energy. You can fast while nursing, just be careful. I did it with both my kids, but not on a regular basis. I typically fast the Friday before Resurrection and eat at sunrise on Easter Sunday - longest fast I ever do and it's amazing, AMAZING how God blesses.
  • Dancinhiphop4life
    Options
    Yes i agree. switch up the foods. i took a look at your diary and you're really not eating all your exercise calories back. Also it looks like your not getting enough protein. i always have extra protein and less carbs in my diet. protein keeps you fuller longer and simple carbs will convert into sugar. you wanna eat complex carbs, they take longer for your body to process, and get rid of the chocolate everyday and some of those snack foods. incorperate more protein and veggies. i know their not as good but the weight will come off better. If you wanna fast thats fine....thats your personal decision but on the day you fast i would advise at least one protein shake so you still get that protein on your fast day. i have the body fortress low carb chocolate shakes. 2 scoops is 52 g of protein...plus it will give you a good amount of calories that your body isnt recieving that day
  • TammyLanham
    Options
    Everything I'm reading really warns to stay at least at that 1200 calorie count... don't give up - you can do it!
  • kellymommy
    Options
    Tammy - I forgot to mention, in case you didn't know, you can go into your settings and add other items to track - I added "sugar" and "fiber". I wish I could add one more "sodium", but it only let's you do a certain number of measures. You have to decide for yourself which ones are most important to you, but you can always change them later.

Also, you can change the settings on your meals. I have mine set as: Breakfast, Snack, Lunch, Snack, Dinner, Snack. It makes the day flow nicely for me.

Thanks again for this great topic!
    KellyMommy
  • TammyLanham
    Options
    Kelly - I had no idea you could do that! Just changed my settings... thanks!
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    I'm eating a lot of "clean" foods - salads, veggies, seeds. There is some red meat - but it's deer meat, much lower in fat & almost no sodium. Some roasted potatoes from time to time... I work out every day for 20 min on the eliptical (275 calories) and 3-4 times a week, I walk for 40 minutes (around 250 calories burned each time). 1-2 times a week, I do yoga or pilates. I'll try focusing on the food more this week and avoid the sodium. I drink 15+ glasses of water per day so I thought I shouldn't have much of an issue with sodium. I add salt to nothing.
    I realize we all use the word 'clean foods' very differently but I agree with the poster that shared the carb load could be tweaked a bit to your benefit.:happy:

I think it's all the processed foods you eat each day that might be causing a stall in your weightloss and by changing some of that you may really see the numbers drop on the scale :drinker: and be feeling so much more energy throughout the week as well. Perhaps that's part of why the fasting day feels so good is the lack of processed food? (not saying your original reason for fasting isn't also helping your mood level:heart: )

I hope it's OK as your diary was open I flipped through a few days and the food you're eating isn't necessarily horrible if it's spread out but eating it all in the same day rather than as occasional treats might be whats stalling the loss.

Sandwich Cookies, Pizza, Lindt Truffles, Ice cream, Graham crackers eaten all in one day would put most of us at a weight loss halt pretty easily. Eating high quality cals (carbs, fats, proteins etc.) helps our body run more efficiently, taking in too much simple sugars is not healthy for our bodies on so many levels. If 1200 cals is what MFP suggests for your body type it could be made far healthier and still have a small daily treat (just not 5 different ones in the same day:wink: )

What does 'clean eating' mean to you? I used to buy organtic foods (yup when first starting out, the cookies, chips etc. thinking, OH Organtic, must be healthy and fine to eat whenever..oops! not!:blushing: ) always thinking healthy = clean foods, then I realized they can be sometimes, but the cookies, chips, desserts of other types aren't always the healthiest choices each day for my body simply because they are labeled organtic.

It's easy for me to get in a Coop or one of my other favorite stores of that type thinking everything in there is something I can eat and be fine, but there IS processed food in those type stores. Staying closer to natural foods, ones we grow, foods that come from the ground, veggies, fruits (not canned in sugar), nuts (not salted just plain yummy nuts. you get the idea), legumes, etc.

My apology for the length but I wanted to share where I came from and hope it helps you make changes in your 'diet' as well. I allow myself a treat pretty much every day but I can't dare do it 5+ times a day or I would never have dropped any weight, plus my energy level drops if I would do that. I say this from experience because I used to do that.

Someone mentioned adding a bit of protein for a shake, to mix it up every so often, perhaps a protein shake with fruit added? Though the PB added to the fruit does sound tasty and Fresh ground nut butters are so delicious so you're most definitely getting awesome protein from that. Might just be on to a good formula for yourself on the fasting day already:wink::flowerforyou: :heart:

May you have a wonderful and peaceful journey and I'm so glad your Fasting day has become so special to you! :heart: