more realistic BMI style calulator- link included

Options
2»

Replies

• LORR79
    LORR79 Posts: 55
    Options
    I found this post really interesting.

Here is a link to a calculator that uses actual measurements for those finding it hard to judge

http://www.am-i-fat.com/body_frame_size.html
  • Candiceg13
    Candiceg13 Posts: 218
    Options
    I felt that this was more of what I wanted to hear......

"Ideal weight range is 140 - 154 lbs. (63.6 - 70 kg.).
    You are overweight by 14 lbs. (6 kg.)." ih yeah, I have a "large frame"

I am aiming for a goal of 150, so that puts me right where I should be according to this.... I have a very athletic build, with a wide rib cage and very broad shoulders...I tend to put on muscle fast, but lose fat rather slowly :grumble:

I am at 168......so 18 lbs to go!!!!!

Thanx for sharing!
  • nomoremuffintopness
    nomoremuffintopness Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Well, seems more accurate but I thought I was only 4 pds from being in my healthy weight range, but this one tells me I am 6 pds away.
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    This seems right on for me as well. I have a large frame, so if I put in 70 inches it says I have 5 lbs to lose, if I put in 71 I am ideal. I would like to lose probably another 5 pounds, so sounds good to me.

I find it funny it doesn't ask male or female.
  • scarletleavy
    scarletleavy Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    Interesting. Mine says I'm at least 4 pounds underweight, ideal weight range from 132-145.. At 5'6'' and 128 pounds I'm not sure I'd consider myself underweight, but rather right in the normal range. I have a very small frame and 145 would be quite heavy on me.
  • fuzzymel
    fuzzymel Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I am in a normal range and it is saying I am underweight. Not agreeing with that one at all. Very misleading.
  • Secret_Agent_007
    Options
    Hmm, it says I'm large framed and only have 23lbs to lose. I was thinking I'd drop 30 and see how I feel.

But this beats the old calc that had being "healthy" between 118 and 145. :noway: :grumble:
  • Kate_UK
    Kate_UK Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options

Here is a link to a calculator that uses actual measurements for those finding it hard to judge

Lol this site puts my wrist measurement right at the top of the medium scale, where as the firs site said I was a small!
  • nibbynoo
    nibbynoo Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    i'd say the calculator to use depends on the outr come you want.

if you are aiming to be lean then basic bmi is just the ticket but i want a bit of squish still so i think this one will suit me better
  • ukgirly01
    ukgirly01 Posts: 523 Member
    Options

This tells me I have a large frame no suprises there, I thought the finger test had to be wrong
    it now tells me
    Ideal weight range is 176 - 193.6 lbs. (80 - 88 kg.).
    You are overweight by 26.4 lbs. (12 kg.).
    My target is 176, but 193 sounds nice and not that far away, If only! I'll still be heading for 176
  • zoink66
    zoink66 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Well, I certainly appreciate the fact that it thinks I am only overweight by 3.2 pounds but the fat around my stomach and thighs sings a different tune :laugh:

^^This!!^^

I think this calculator is being VERY generous with us. It has me two pounds away from being UNDERWEIGHT! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

"Ideal weight range is 144 - 158.4 lbs. (65.5 - 72 kg.).
    Contratulations! Your weight is ideal!"

My butt, thighs and spare tire beg to disagree. Also, it spells "congratulations" wrong. I know the BMI is just an estimate, but I prefer the traditional estimate, I guess. :tongue:
  • Sheltie4
    Sheltie4 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    what do you guys think of this??
    generous or genius?

"For years, people looked up their weight on tables drawn from insurance company statistics. While those are still around, this is a newer, more accurate way to calculate what is truly a healthy weight range for you."

http://www.healthcentral.com/diet-exercise/ideal-body-weight-3146-143.html

I hate it - says I am overweight. I might just have skinny wrists,:devil:
  • fuzzymel
    fuzzymel Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Well, I certainly appreciate the fact that it thinks I am only overweight by 3.2 pounds but the fat around my stomach and thighs sings a different tune :laugh:

^^This!!^^

I think this calculator is being VERY generous with us. It has me two pounds away from being UNDERWEIGHT! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

"Ideal weight range is 144 - 158.4 lbs. (65.5 - 72 kg.).
    Contratulations! Your weight is ideal!"

My butt, thighs and spare tire beg to disagree. Also, it spells "congratulations" wrong. I know the BMI is just an estimate, but I prefer the traditional estimate, I guess. :tongue:

Yep thats my issue too. I can see looking in the mirror I am not underweight. Yes I have very little now to get to my perfect level but even that is not a level thats underweight.
  • Jain
    Jain Posts: 861 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this. I'm aiming for 140lbs which according to the old BMI is still overweight for my height, but this new calculator has that as within the healthy range. I know from past experience that if I drop below 140 I look & feel ill, so I always ignored the old BMI.

But as both of these are just guidelines, and as such wont be accurate for everyone, don't treat them as gospel.