Late night hunger help!!!

Options
Any advice for beating the refrigerator in the evening? I recently lost my husband to cancer after almost a year of being his primary caregiver and cancer related stress, the weight crept on. I started exercising 3-4 hours daily, and some weight (but mostly inches) are coming off, but I am having trouble with late night eating.

My diet is low fat, low carb (except for complex), and high in protein and vegetables, but late at night I am getting hungry. I am dringking lots of water, too.

Any suggestions?

Replies

• ktenerow
    Options
    Any advice for beating the refrigerator in the evening? I recently lost my husband to cancer after almost a year of being his primary caregiver and cancer related stress, the weight crept on. I started exercising 3-4 hours daily, and some weight (but mostly inches) are coming off, but I am having trouble with late night eating.

My diet is low fat, low carb (except for complex), and high in protein and vegetables, but late at night I am getting hungry. I am dringking lots of water, too.

Any suggestions?
  • JMAMA
    JMAMA Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP. Let me first say that I am sorry for your loss. MFP is a great support system and I know that you will be glad you stumbled across this sight. Some suggestions for late night eating: brush, floss, and flouride your teeth, go to bed earlier, have your one lower cal indulgence at night to fix the cravings.
  • BrandNewLaura
    BrandNewLaura Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    First and foremost, I am so sorry to hear of your husband's passing. I put on a lot of weight when my grandmother died, and again when my exhusband and I first separated. Tragedies are terrible for our hearts and our waistlines unfortunately.

To address your question, I would say stock your fridge and cupboards with healthy options...that way if you do end up in the kitchen you will have healthy options to choose from. I don't really know of a way to stop the late night eating. I've just forced myself to stop eating after 9 pm and so far it's worked. When you start getting those cravings, hop online and check out the message boards. There's usually someone online, and if not you can always go through previous posts and read them...I hope that helps a bit. I primarily wanted to express my condolences even though I don't really have any great ideas to help you with your late night hunger.
  • purplepanda
    purplepanda Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    At night when I get hungry like that I find either a piece of sting cheese or a wedge of laughing cow light cheese with multigrain crackers helps to eliminate the hunger feeling and isn't too high in calories.

If you're not already doing this, you might try making sure to eat small amounts of something every 2-3 hours. I find by the end of the day, the longer between intake the more I start to crave foods that aren't that healthy and I find my willpower lessening.

However, I do find that starting my day with a meal high in protein (like you indicate you eat) helps me to desire/eat less during the morning and afternoon
  • Kimlane70
    Kimlane70 Posts: 117
    Options
    I just posted almost the same thing except for the loss and I'm so sorry about that. I hope you are starting to heal now. I too had trouble tonight controlling my cravings. I read the responses to your post and found some helpful things there so I'm hoping tomorrow will be better. KIM
  • ktenerow
    Options
    Thanks for the ideas and the condolances. I really appreciare them!
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options

Any suggestions?

There was an AWESOME thread that was going on a few pages not too long ago on here.
    click on Community then Search .....Type in late night eating or something to that effect and much will come up for you, I'm sure

Sending healing thoughts your way Hon:heart: I'm so sorry...
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options

Any suggestions?

Ok, here ya go:happy: I just did a search for this very thing...thinking I would bring you back a link or two...HAHAHAH:laugh: :laugh:

Try 184! So here's what I searched and lots of great threads came up!
    Message Boards > Search — 'Late night snacking'

That area of searching will surely keep you from late night munchies....lots of cool ideas and tips :drinker: