Half marathon in six weeks - Need advice!

Options
cmw72
cmw72 Posts: 390 Member
May 1st is coming up fast, and I'm unprepared.

I managed to pull off 13.1 miles on the treadmill about six weeks ago (in 2:15), but I think it was a bad idea (jumped up from 9). I spent the next two weeks unable to even jog after that.

I did some IT band rolling and got some leg bands. I was able to get out and walk/run about 7 miles, but it was still painful. That was about three weeks ago.

Since then I've been sick and wound up having to go to the doctor. I've taken the last two weeks off from anything exercise related, though this might be a blessing in disguise, as I was starting to feel pretty worn out. I was spending 2-3 hours a night at the gym 5-6 nights a week. I've probably lost some strength and stamina, but things are aching a lot less.

So now I find myself with 6 weeks to go, and the training schedule is out the window. I have no idea how to proceed. I'm not so much worried about my time at this point ... just surviving.

Can anybody recommend a training schedule for the next six weeks?

Replies

• LOVEsummer
    LOVEsummer Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I don't know that I can recommend a specific plan but I have SO been here!

My advice is to workout for the next 6 weeks as hard as you can and take care of your body! I trained for a half marathon once without running at all :) I cycled and jump roped and did spin classes and body weight strength etc etc for a couple of months and had never run more than 10 miles in my life.

On race day I had enough training and carbs and clif chot bloks (if you don't use these, start!!! get the caffeinated kind for race day) to get me through physically and enough adrenaline and excitement to get me through mentally! If you have run 13.1 miles before you can so do it again. right? If someone told you that your building was going to crumble to the ground and you had 2.5 hours to get 13 miles away and be safe, you would do it! :)

Other than that, get lots of sleep, train as hard as you can but maybe in low impact ways like cycling to protect your body, make sure your shoes are solid ( I try not to wear mine for more than 400miles) and you hydrate!!!!!!

<3
    GOOD LUCK!!!
  • soleste
    soleste Posts: 34
    Options
    Runners World has a 9 week. If you were already running before then there should be no problem skipping the first couple of weeks. I found that and another one, that I'm doing a combo of for my 1/2 mid May, by googling half marathon training. Good Luck, and do push yourself too hard. The injuries are not worth it!
  • jrlitt76
    jrlitt76 Posts: 52
    Options
    sounds like you were really over training..without knowing what your baseline was before you started the training plan, its hard to gauge if your bady was ready for 5-6 nights of 2-3 hours in the gym, thats alot and even elite athletes dont spend that kind of time in the gym. rest and recovery are huge when it comes to training. (a known fact that even myself have had to learn through trial and error over the years) if you are still planning running the half marathon on May 1st...I would look at your training plan and scale back two weeks. even though you took some substancial time off, you will 'bounce back' quickly - provided you dont have an injury. I would start out doing something like:
    Mon - rest, tues - easy 3 miles, wed-speed intervals, thursday - easy 3 miles, fri-rest, sat - long run (run 6 miles if you are able - if not run what you can and be ok with that) keep that schedule each week and increase your long run by 1 mile each sat till the weekend before the race weekend - then you want to taper back down to 6-7 and rest the sat before the race. Most half marathon training plans rarely have you run the full 13.1 miles before the race, you only need to hit 9 miles run to complete the race fully.
    Good Luck!
  • everydamnday
    everydamnday Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I have a half on May 1st as well :-) I have followed Hal Higdons novice training schedule it is 12 weeks but you could pick up in the middle of the program with no problem. Google him,he is awesome & the schedules are fairly easy to maintain. There is also an advanced schedule if you feel like the novice would not be challenging enough.

Good Luck.
  • everydamnday
    everydamnday Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I have a half on May 1st as well :-) I have followed Hal Higdons novice training schedule it is 12 weeks but you could pick up in the middle of the program with no problem. Google him,he is awesome & the schedules are fairly easy to maintain. There is also an advanced schedule if you feel like the novice would not be challenging enough.

Good Luck.
    5248 Posts: 8
    Options
    kickstartfit.blogspot.com/.../half-marathon-training-schedule.html
  • emmaleigh47
    emmaleigh47 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    What was your last successful long run and how long ago was it.

I would start at 6 mile or so ... and build a long run every week ... that will get you up to 12 without injury and then 13.1 on race day!
  • Amanda_Runs
    Amanda_Runs Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I signed up for my first half with only 8.5 weeks to train. I tailored the Runners World schedule to fit my needs. You have PLENTY of time as long as you stick to it!
  • voom1396
    voom1396 Posts: 21 Member
    Options

Good Luck.

I like Hal Higdon's novice training, too, and have used it several times. I agree, just pick up in the middle of the program. www.halhigdon.com
  • backinthenines
    backinthenines Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    Can anybody recommend a training schedule for the next six weeks?

I agree wholeheartedly with the person who suggested you pick up half way through Hal Higdon's 12-week novice HM programme.

http://www.halhigdon.com/halfmarathon/novice.htm

If you can stick to that you'll get round.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    You need to do 2 short (10k) runs during each week, then a long run (starting at 12k, then14k, then 16k, then 18k) once a week to build up stamina. If you have time also do weights once a week, and preferably some type of yoga once a week to stretch. The most likely injury you are to get mid race is a pulled or ripped tendon, as your cardiovascular fitness increases faster than your tendon flexibility, which yoga can help with.

The week of the race, cut down, do a 10k at the start of the week, and 6k or so jog 4 days before. Then rest for the three days before the race. You will feel restless and itching to go, which is just how you should be feeling on race day!
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    Add cross training 3x per week and cut running back to 2x per week IMO. My pain in anything in my running went away with cross training. I wish someone would have suggested it while marathon training. I suffered from muscle imbalances from running only. I'd say add weights, do lunges, squats and ab work of any and all varieties. I would suggest the yoga too, made a big difference, I do it the day before my long run and the day after as my rest day.

P90X made a world of difference for me in my running, I'm pain free and faster. I didn't realize cross training was such an essential key, I knew the importance but was too busy trying to get my mileage in.

I read in Prevention magazine that 90% of knee pain is from weak hip flexors. Not sure what is hurting but would try to cross train to get the muscles built up and stable. I bet in 3 weeks you will notice a world of immediate difference.
  • anzura
    anzura Posts: 171
    Options
    Are you an ITBS sufferer too? I got my first IT band grab last April and suffered on and off all year. I ran a marathon last December and really paid for it, not taking the proper time to heal! Once you get ITBS, it's really really hard to get rid of it.

After the marathon, I took an entire month off from any exercise. The next month I walked and slowly started adding in running again. I'm now back up to 10 miles on my weekend long runs, but I have to be really aware of the feeling in my IT band. I know it can flair up any time.

I just want to let you know that the foam roller is your friend. But don't just roll the IT band. Make sure you spend a lot of time on your calves and quads. If you have knots there, it will affect the friction on the band. If you feel pain or even a twinge while you are running...STOP! Don't push it or you will pay for it.

Good luck!
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options
    That is exactly why you should never increase more than 10% from one week to the next, and make sure you take a complete recovery week every 4-5 weeks. Sounds like you already have some great suggestions. You can probably pick up about half way through any other half marathon program, and like someone else already suggested, just bump up your long runs a mile or so each week. You will be close enough by May 1st. I also completely agree that cross training needs to be a part of what you are doing as well, so look for a program that only has you running 3-4x per week.

And finally, train smarter going forward...2-3 hours in the gym at a time is too much. You might have 1 or 2 sessions during the week that approach that, but not every single day. Rest and recovery are often overlooked, but just as important as the actual exercise!!

And if it's your first half marathon....don't worry about your time. I know that's a difficult thing to do. But just go the distance and enjoy the race. **Note to self...need to do the same with my first sprint triathlon this fall:-)**
  • StacLegg
    StacLegg Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I'm trainging for my first half in June, first long run.
    I am runing, walking, lifting, and I am sore.... how do I know when to take a break or work through the soreness?
    I feel like a wimp taking off for a day.... and then I read that I should just work through the pain.
    I'm doing a 12 week training schedule I found online!
  • emmaleigh47
    Options
    I am runing, walking, lifting, and I am sore.... how do I know when to take a break or work through the soreness?
    I feel like a wimp taking off for a day.... and then I read that I should just work through the pain.

Do you have a rest day? You said this is your first ... are you gently stepping up your mileage. Are you resting the day before your long run? Does the soreness go away during the day or during your run ...
  • RMinVA
    Options

What type of plan are you on? How often does it have you running? Most plans I have found are 3 or 4 days of running, with other days for rest or XT. I often double up with XT or weight training on shorter run days.

My personal preference however is just to run every other day...which means 3x one week and 4x the next. So MWF one week, and S, Tues, Th, Sat the next. The week that I only run 3x I have been ditching one of my shorter runs. But I have decided that on the 3x run per week, I am going to do a run that is the same distance as the 2 shortest runs combined. That way, I maintain my milage.

I get much better quality runs, especially for speedwork and longer distance runs, if I take the day off before. And taking the day off after or doing some easy cross training aids in recovery.
  • cmw72
    cmw72 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies! I'll definitely check out that Hal Higdon plan.

I bought the Jeff Galloway book, and was kinda semi-following his program.

I'm already doing plenty of cross training in the form of Group Power class 3 days a week, and Zumba class about 5 days a week.

As such, I had only been doing long runs on the weekend, and not really running throughout the week.
  • emmaleigh47
    Options

I'm already doing plenty of cross training in the form of Group Power class 3 days a week, and Zumba class about 5 days a week.

As such, I had only been doing long runs on the weekend, and not really running throughout the week.

For what its worth I LOVE galloways program and I followed it for my first half. I made my own hybrid plan for this race but its also written around Galloways theories!
  • RMinVA
    Options

You should definitely get on some kind of running plan. If you were only doing a couple of miles here and there, that's one thing. But you are getting ready for a half marathon, and you are just setting yourself up for injury or worse, by only running once a week.

You occasionally hear about people that die during half marathons and full marathons. While sometimes there are extenuating circumstances, like undetected heart conditions, more often than not the story goes something like "he ran a few miles here and there, but was in good health otherwise." Regardless of the shape you are in, there is a big difference in running a few miles here and there, and running a half marathon. Running is hard on the body and the joints. And while cross training is important for balance the only thing that actually conditions you to running IS running.