Protein Shakes/Smoothies for Breakfast. Any yummy rec's?

Options
I'd like to replace breakfast for a quick protein shakes or smoothies. Can you guys point me in the right direction to something heathy and yummy? Or give me some good recipes? Thanks =]

Replies

• thkelly
    thkelly Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    it all depends on what you like....

1 scoop protein powder (vanilla or fruit flavored)
    1 cup skim milk
    1/2 cup fruit (raspberries, blueberries, strawberries, etc)
    ground up Oats if you can stomach them (they are an acquired taste in a shake)
    add ice to create desired thickness

you can also go with
    1 scoop protein powder - chocolate
    1 cup skim milk
    1-2 tbsp of natural peanut butter
    ground oats
    ice
    (this one is great for some people...others not so much)

good luck....
  • Shani411
    Shani411 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi!
    I use a great protein powder called ISOPUR (you can find it in GNC, but the Vitamin Store has it cheaper, it's a huge container, but totally worth it.) I'll use only 1 scoop (25grams of protein) instead of the 2 scoops and add half skim milk and half water (about 8-10oz total). I've added peanut butter, strawberry, bananas, blueberries.... basically anything I felt like. The powder also comes in different flavors, but I've always bought the chocolate.
    Good Luck!
  • arfdemob5
    arfdemob5 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    lol! I just posted one that is amazing! Here it is:

Strawberry Protein Shake...It's amazing!!

1 Premium Nutrition High Protein Vanilla Shake 11oz
    2 fresh strawberries
    1/2 cup Arctic Zero Strawberry Banana ice cream

Put ingredients in blender and enjoy!

Only 213 calories, 3 fat grams, 17 carbs, 3 fiber, and 34 g protein!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • jgerbe2
    jgerbe2 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I found a recipe for a wonderful antioxidant rich shake.

1 scoop Protein Powder (I use EAS 100% Whey Protein, Vanilla)
    1/2 c Blueberries
    1/2 c Rasberries
    1/2 Banana
    3/4 c Skim Milk
    Cinnamon to taste.
    Ice Cubes if desired.

It tastes wonderful. Sometimes I omit the berries and use a whole banana and then add cocoa instead of cinnamon. It works wonders for those chocolate cravings.
  • NatureIsleEmpress
    NatureIsleEmpress Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I do protein shakes some times, but you can just add fruits, and milk with ice and you have a shake. Like someone said if you can stomach oats add some also

2 tbs almond butter
    1 banana
    water/milk

papaya
    almond butter
    almond milk

oats
    strawberries
    water/milk

I basically just use what ever is in the fridge and the counter at the time.
  • deeharley
    deeharley Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    I used to do a chocolate powder with a little milk, peanut butter, ice and a banana, but my son prefers the vanilla powder with the same.
  • FlyGirl22
    FlyGirl22 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    This is a smoothie, not a protein shake, although I'm sure you could add protein powder to it.

Spinach Energy Smoothie

1/2 cup cold water
    1 large handfull of baby spinach
    1 banana
    1/4 cup of strawberry slices (I use frozen strawberries)

Blend it all up until it's smooth! Sounds strange, but you pretty much just taste the fruit. It is a great way to sneak some more green veggies in to your diet.
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options
    I blogged about this a few weeks ago.

My standard recipe for 2 smoothies is:

1/2 c plain non-fat yogurt (you can skip the yogurt and just add more milk if you want)
    1 c "milk" (skim/soy/almond)
    1 small or medium frozen banana **makes it smooth and adds texture and sweetness, but you can skip if you want**
    2 tsp. flax seed
    2 scoops vanilla protein powder**I stick to vanilla b/c it is more versatile and you can always add cocoa if you want chocolate or create a "fruit" version w/real fruit or nectar**
    6-8 ice cubes or to desired frozen texture

To customize that you can add any of the following. And while I don’t recommend you use them all at once, the peanut butter/coffee/cocoa combo is one of my favorites. It does pack a punch calorically, but I guarantee you will be full for the morning!

Berries
    Peanut butter
    Coffee (1/2 c brewed, but decrease your milk by same amount, OR I often just use a tsp. of finely ground coffee, but NOT instant)
    Cocoa powder
    1/4 c pumpkin and some pumpkin pie spice (pumpkin Pie smoothie)
    Juice from 2 freshly squeezed limes (tastes like frozen key lime pie)
    Skip the milk and use 1/2 cup of "nectar" instead like mango or guava

I’ll also occasionally use coconut water instead of milk if I am going for a “tropical” flavored smoothie: I made one from protein powder, passion fruit coconut water, and yogurt yesterday. It was yummy!
  • modifyinglife
    Options
    Thanks! Keep em coming in lol I see a few I want to try already =]

Where can I find almond butter? Whole Foods?
  • hiltonheadagain
    Options
    Whatever you decide, just be careful of calories. I was drinking a protein shake in the mornings thinking I was doing a good thing and it ended up to be a whopping 400 calories! Admittedly, I was making it with raw milk, but only one cup.
  • mmensah
    mmensah Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Use the Adkins Protein Shake Vanailla with 1 net carb
  • modifyinglife
    Options
    You have me so ready to go to market RIGHT NOW! I love the variety
  • modifyinglife
    Options
    Did it keep you full until lunch time?
  • modifyinglife
    Options
    Whatever you decide, just be careful of calories. I was drinking a protein shake in the mornings thinking I was doing a good thing and it ended up to be a whopping 400 calories! Admittedly, I was making it with raw milk, but only one cup.

Did it keep you full until lunch time?
  • mrsjsmitty
    Options
    Body By Vi - their shakes are so good by themselves or you can get flavor packs or add in frozen fruit. Go to emilyrobertsfitness.bodybyvi.com. I just started using these shakes. Best tasting ones I've tried so far.
  • Candiceg13
    Candiceg13 Posts: 218
    Options
    I have the same protein shake every am after my wo as breakfast...... 1 scoop whey protein (20g), 3/4 cup skim milk and 1/3 package yoplait smoothie mix.... ends up being approx 260 cal, 31g protein!

It does NOT keep my full until lunch (i drink it at 5:45am), but I also eat at 9ish and that meal will have at min 15g protein..... and lunch is usually around 12:30......
  • modifyinglife
    Options
    Can protein shakes keep you full? Or is that why w add the ground oats?
  • thkelly
    thkelly Posts: 466 Member
    Options

the oats will help. so will ice. for me anyway the thicker the shake is the fuller i feel. somehow it tricks my mind into thinking i'm full, but remember you still want to eat 5-6 small meals a day

i wouldn't recommend having a shake at 7am and then not eating again until noon.
  • modifyinglife
    Options

the oats will help. so will ice. for me anyway the thicker the shake is the fuller i feel. somehow it tricks my mind into thinking i'm full, but remember you still want to eat 5-6 small meals a day

i wouldn't recommend having a shake at 7am and then not eating again until noon.

ok cool and do I grind the oats myself or is something I get from the store?

This might sound crazy buttttt [lol] what if i cooked the oats first then added them to the shake and blended it all up. Would that be nasty?