Life after 40!! HEEEELP!

Options
2»

Replies

• Sonnut
    Sonnut Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I'm 42 and for the first time since my early 30's, I'm trying to loose weight. If I can do it, you can too! Just stick with it and eat the calories MFP says to, you'll do great!
  • loro1971
    loro1971 Posts: 135
    Options
    oh nooooooooooooo 39 is hard enough!!! my goal is to lose 40 lbs before i turn 40 in september! im halfway there.... eating verrrrrrrry healthy, exercising regularly. i started walking/hiking and plan to do a 5k in may! stating away from white breads/pastas/ sugars. eating red meat only once every two weeks...and cheating one day a week to get rid of cravings. my hardest things to give up are peanut butter and my every day iced coffees but im doing good. hubby is exercising with me and eating what i cook and has lost 25 lbs.im down around 20.....we are looooooooooving the wiifit and its fun too. good luck!
  • beachgirl667
    beachgirl667 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    LOl!!! Gee thanks. I have pretty much done all those, with the exception of grains. And need to definately start lifting weights.
  • chermom
    chermom Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I'm 45 and having the same problem. Just can't seem to get those last few pounds off. Try working out for 1 hour six days a week and switch it up with strength training and cardio. I also keep my total days worth of carbs under 75. We can do it! - Good Luck!
  • atsteele
    atsteele Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    Im 43yo and I know losing weight wasn't going to be easy but geesh!! I had tried everything to lose five lousy pounds and nothing really worked. (I used to log in my food on index cards; it was time consuming and not nearly as good as MFP.) Ive only been on MFP for a little over a month and have already met my goal. I cannot say enough good things about this site!! It has really helped me a great deal in keeping my diet the priority, being honest about what I eat (A lot of times, since I was logging on index cards, I never logged in the entire day's daily intake so it really wasn't accurate/helpful after all.) and making the necessary tweeks in my diet AND exercise program that made the difference. This is really a wonderful tool! I hope that you find it as helpful in meeting your goals as well!! Good luck!!
  • melanie_mtl
    melanie_mtl Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    You can do it! I'm in the same boat - will turn 43 next week and have 15 stubborn lbs to lose. I've tried to get rid of them since my daughter was born 21/2 yrs ago...much harder now than when I was in my 20s!

I'm just getting back into a regular exercise routine - aiming for a mix of walking, Turbojam aerobics, beginner yoga, free weight and resistance band workouts for now. Hoping to bring an exercise bike or treadmill into our home very soon. Would any of those be new to your routine?

When I asked my slender neighbour what she does to stay fit she laughed and said she puts on her favourite music and dances like crazy all over the house, that's it LOL. That said, I know she goes for regular walks and does alot of garden work from spring to fall. I like the dancing idea, though. Just think - we can crank the songs of our youth and feel 20 something instead of 40+!

We can do it! :happy:
  • CuriousSoul
    Options
    Yeah, I am in the "Life after 40" group and am also new to MYP (my 1st day at this website)..

I discovered the MYP application on the Android Market quite by accident and am glad to see lots of inspirational folks and wisdom here from people who have successfully lost weight. Hey, I am motivated just by looking at the lbs you have already shed.

I am also happy to see that I will have peers who are also starting out in our battle against the bulge!

Stride on!
  • candirw
    candirw Posts: 22
    Options
    Not quite 40, but I can tell you that at 39, my body didn't let go of any pounds until after a month! Keep it up! It will come off!
  • dcrabill10
    Options
    I'm 41 and do the typical winter weight gain every year. (I live in Wisconsin so there's not much to do but eat and drink beer in the winter). But - I've always managed to get the weight off by the first day of Spring every year. It does take a little more work and paying a LOT of attention to the calorie intake once you hit the 40's. But not impossible. And every time I post something like this I typically have someone tell me that it's easier for a guy. I honestly don't think so. But I could be wrong. It's happened a couple times. LOL

But don't get discouraged. Use this site and if you have an app type phone (Android or **ugh** iPhone), get the app!! It is excellent and a very quick and easy way to keep track of your day.
  • beachgirl667
    Options
    Thank you:smile:
  • beachgirl667
    Options
    Wow! that's awesome! I would love to be able to run a 5K. Definately a goal for me to try for. Great idea trying to lose it b4 u turn 40! lol! i told myself the same thing and didn't follow thru:( So stick to it!! Thanks for the encouraging words!!
  • bizygirl43
    Options
    HEY THERE
    me too im in the 50 range and its even harder. i have 74 more to go and the bod has stopped....really need encouragement too. headed to the gym to do 3 miles on the treadmill...if i see any results tomorrow morning on the scale.....ill be revived lol
  • beachgirl667
    Options
    I definately DON'T feel 40! LOL!! I have been running at the track, eliptical, and doing the insanity workouts until I hurt my knee last week:( I have the pilates work outs but have never tried them. My goal right now is to run 3 miles w/o stopping. To me that would b fantastic!! I used to run in my 20's and enjoyed it sooo much.
  • beachgirl667
    Options
    Thank u:)
  • bfh123
    bfh123 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I'm 40 and we might be a little slower but a site like this works. I'm running my first 5k in a few years this weekend you can do it!!
  • beachgirl667
    Options
    That is GREAT! Good luck to u!! I would love to be able to run a 5k! and I will:) hopefully by this summer:) Thank u!!
  • JovianErinys
    Options
    Ever notice how we turn 21 but hit 40? Well I'm about to slam headfirst into 60 and I have lost about 40 pounds since October 2010.

LOL, now that you mention it, that's so true! I 'hit' 40 a year and half ago and it hurt :(, weight wise. Congratulations on your progress!