Portion Control

Options
Take a look at this neat way to control your portion size.

www.MealMeasure.com

Replies

• artnoren
    Options
    Take a look at this neat way to control your portion size.

www.MealMeasure.com
  • Losing_It
    Losing_It Posts: 3,271 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing!:flowerforyou:
  • xmimikinsx
    Options
    Lol how ridiculous!
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    actually kinda cool. especially for someone who has never, ever, considered portion size.

I have a friend who laughed at me when I mentioned the portion of hashbrowns we were served were 3 serving sizes. She said of course it is 1 serving, they have been 'serving' her this amount all her life, every restaraunt she ever went to serves this amount. She had no idea what I was talking about.

I took mine home....12 oz of potatoes!! with loads of grease. that is a minimum of 2 whole shredded potatoes.

I think this could be a very useful tool in a new healthy lifestyle.

thanks for sharing:flowerforyou:
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options
    actually kinda cool. especially for someone who has never, ever, considered portion size.

I think this could be a very useful tool in a new healthy lifestyle.

thanks for sharing:flowerforyou:

Totally agree....great place to start if you've never learned the concept of serving size. It would really be an eyeopener for some folks when starting out ...I like the concept they came up with, some folks need tools like this......I say whatever it takes to learn what a true portion is!

Yeah...wow on resturant serving, aye awty!

artnoren:drinker: Thanks for sharing that link, makes you really think how far we've come that we know how to eyeball if we've been doing it for awhile, but I sometimes even check myself to see if my eyeball is still working.:laugh:
  • kdanderson05
    Options
    that is really cool!!!!
  • Poison5119
    Poison5119 Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    Okay, that's fine, if your eating 250 calories per meal.

What they allow for vegetables, I'd starve to death using that thing!!:noway:

I eat at least two heaping cups of various vegetation with my evening meal.

The most constraint I have to use is my starches. My proteins are usually pretty low in cals anyhow, so I can go a little over on that. Five ounces of Tilapia is only 170 calories.
  • 150lbs2go
    150lbs2go Posts: 104
    Options
    Thanks for sharing.....I eat a lot of veggies too like you, but never really touch fruits (to many carbs) you could just use 2 of the servings for your veggies. Thank you! :)
  • jenn10
    jenn10 Posts: 161
    Options
    It is such a great idea - however I would never pay 20 bucks for it! what are they crazy -- don't they realize we all own a set of measuring cups!:noway:
  • Fitness_Chick
    Options
    It is such a great idea - however I would never pay 20 bucks for it! what are they crazy -- don't they realize we all own a set of measuring cups!:noway:

yea it's a bit pricey....but haven't we all tried things in the past that we can now look back on and wonder WHY we bought them when something else could have worked as well?

Like the diet places (WW, whatever else is still out there and open), scales (ok probably could find one much cheaper without the company name on it right?), same with company logo measuring cups, spoons etc.

We might not be at the point where we need that guidance anymore but I can see that they would sell like hotcakes if WW or some such place like that sold them....lol

I bet even on the site they are sold by the thousands.... a gimic? sure but one that would really help some folks.....

to each his own I guess...I say whatever works for getting healthy and making better choices:drinker:
  • Anna_Banana
    Anna_Banana Posts: 2,939 Member
    Options
    They come up with every thing. I've also seen plates with the circle drawn on them. I wonder what is to stop you from filling those cups clear full?

When my dad found out he was diabetic, they just bought in between sized plates. Not quite as big as a dinner plate, but bigger than the salad plate that comes in most dish sets. I actually think they are true salad plates.
  • mhosner
    mhosner Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Portion Control is the hardest part to dieting for me. Something like this is great. Yes it's easy to say pull out the measuring cups and measure, but the fact that you are forced in one step to do all items is great. When I did WW they give you some tools like a soup ladel is about 1/2 cup. So when you go out or have people over you can get a closer guess without pulling out the measuring cups and trying to figure it out.

i have a lunch plate that has sections in it. Basically to keep foods seperated but same concept. More then anything this post reminds us how important it is to watch our portions.
  • missy0210
    Options
    Very neat - I have not seen this one.

I use portion pals - they are dish washer safe cutting boards for each food group and they show the proper portion. I use it when preparing meals at home and am cutting meat, veggies, etc. Just lay the food on the cutting board and cut it to the right size. My fiance is a chef, and even he likes them!

I found them through the Hungry Girl newsletter and their website is www.portionpal.com
  • EvilPIB
    EvilPIB Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    That's kewl but I will stick to my trusty food scale.
  • Fitness_Chick
    Options
    They come up with every thing. I've also seen plates with the circle drawn on them. I wonder what is to stop you from filling those cups clear full?

When my dad found out he was diabetic, they just bought in between sized plates. Not quite as big as a dinner plate, but bigger than the salad plate that comes in most dish sets. I actually think they are true salad plates.

I got rid of the big ole dinner plates most folks use as well. I use a small to mid sized one now...a bit larger than a salad size. I like it....it doesn't make you feel deprived and you don't tend to fill it up....just the right size.

I also read where the color of your dinnerwear makes a huge difference in how much you eat as well.

Certain colors bring out certain moods......here's a pretty good example.

Burger King uses ...oops..ok what colors are their signs....yellow and red? I think...anyway...those colors and McDonalds uses certain colors as well ......every color has a meaning...we don't even always tend to notice....a certain color means stop....and that's why folks tend to pull into a BK or a Fast food joint...the colors they use to represent their establishment.

Think I read alot of it, also the plate size and portion experiments in the book titled "Oh shoot...forgot the name of it now"

Yea ok so that's NOT the official name of it...but I'll look it up again and see...it's a great book on the human mind and experiments regarding human habits with food, etc.