Older user of MFP

wongsuzy
wongsuzy Posts: 12
edited September 25 in Motivation and Support
Hi ,I haven't been doing this for very long, but I've lost 3 lbs and I'm encouraged. I am nearly 59 years old and I have back and knee problems so my level of exercise is low. I walk on my treadmill at a reduced speed and I walk outdoors every day. I feel like this is my last ditch effort to lose weight before I get way too old to try. I would welcome any replies from older users or young ones who can help with exercise ideas that are not too hard on my back and knees. I am fine with the food side of it but I know more or better exercise would quicken the weight loss. Thanks for any advice.

Replies

• MsLisaB
    MsLisaB Posts: 256
    Have you tried swimming or water aerobics? Both are great all body workouts and, with the water supporting you, are very easy on the knees and back.
  • david081
    david081 Posts: 489 Member
    Hi,

I'm 49 next month, and honestly never thought I would run again! I have 2 damaged discs in my back, but started walking and gradually lengthened the distance till I was doing 8 miles. Today I jogged 5-miles none stop, but I guess if the knees are troubling you, that's not an option. Swimming is a great exercise, and actually fixed my back a while ago. Can you do an exercise bike? That might be another option... would tubular bandages, maybe doubled-up help the knees when walking?
  • rjlam
    rjlam Posts: 149
    Hi

I'm going to be 50 in June. I completely understand the knee pain. Your doing great. Walking on your treadmill and outside is a fantastic start. As others have suggested, have you tried swimming. My sister is a very large women and has lost 85lbs and her form of exercise to start was swimming as she had the same issues. But know she walks outside and does her Gazelle. The other suggestions would be for you to slowly increase the intensity on your treadmill. Hope this helps. YOUR DOING AWESOME.
  • kwardklinck
    kwardklinck Posts: 1,601
    Swimming and water aerobics are great!
  • curleesam
    curleesam Posts: 462 Member
    I suffer from a protruding L4 in my back and I never thought I would be able to gym quite as hard as I do now. I started off by building up my back strength through swimming (good cardio but weightless so no pressure) walking and light pilates/yoga (improves flexibilty and tones muscles). Now i rarely experience pain just so long as I continue to work out regularly and I use the treadmill and Elliptical at the gym.

Good luck, just take it slowly and you will see improvements.
  • wongsuzy
    wongsuzy Posts: 12
    Thanks very much everybody for your advice. I am more encouraged now that I know there are ways to get around my disabilities and they are readily available to me. I will certainly look into the swimming and water aerobics. I live in Australia so the swimming etc doesn't present a problem weather wise. Thanks again.LOL
This discussion has been closed.