Lost 13 lbs without really trying.

Options
At the beginning of the year I found myself in the ER with a blood sugar of over 500. (for those of you who arent in the know around 120 or so is a good blood sugar) I knew I was diabetic, (type 2) and was using diet to control my sugar. My Dr, whom I have since stopped going to, did not tell me the importance of regular checking of my blood sugar. I just pretty much stopped eating sweets and cut down on my carb intake like I was advised by the dietitian.Obviously that wasnt enough. The er dr gave me a startling wake up call. She told me that I needed to check my sugars everyday, and at least twice a day. She told me that I had more than likely caused irreparable damage to my body by not doing this, as it could have kept me out of the hospital to begin with. She told me I need to lose 50 lbs or I will more than likely lose my legs later in life. She also told me that if I lost that weight there was a chance I could be rid of the diabetes all together. Im now taking a pill everyday to help control my sugar.

As soon as I got home from the hospital I went online to find the tools to help me with my diet. That is when I found this site. I started logging my food and exercising when I could. Mostly shoveling snow or playing my xbox kinect. I did not exercise regularly though, just sporadically here and there whenever I felt the urge. As time went on I got lazy. Being winter time I did not want to go outside in the cold to walk and the indoor exercise had lost its appeal. I was however logging my foods and my walking from when I would go grocery shopping. I would step on a scale from time to time just to see how things were going. Each time I was surprised that I had lost weight. A pound here, a couple pounds there. I didnt think anything of it until people started asking me "Tony you look thinner, are you losing weight?" Yes I told them, the reply was always "You look great!!" I thought they were full of it. I noticed no difference.

Today I decided no more being lazy, no more saying "it wont hurt to go over just once." I stepped on the scale in as little clothing as I dared, (my shorts that I sleep in LOL) and weighed 245 lbs. I quickly went to the site and typed in my weight. "WOW!! I said, 13 pounds lost and I wasnt really even trying. 13 POUNDS in 2 months. Thats no record Im sure, but for someone who wasnt even really trying, thats pretty damn impressive. At least I think so.

Sorry for the long post. I have been a member for only 2 months and I havent posted much. I thought it would be nice to share my story. Thanks for reading.

Replies

• az1cowgirl
    Options
    Good for you.
  • Vanishing_Gordies
    Options
    It IS impressive and hurry for you! Wish you the best of luck in your healthy journey!
  • jamie78
    jamie78 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I think that is is impressive! Keep up the good work and take care of yourself!!!
  • SeasideOasis
    SeasideOasis Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    Congrats! And welcome! :)

My friend just recently was in the hospital with spiked blood sugar (over 500...amongst other problems), so I know how it is to be the loved one of someone going through something similar to your situation. Stick with it and youll be a'okay ;)
  • coguar99
    coguar99 Posts: 2
    Options
    Congratulations on the 13lb. weightloss! I don't mean to be a huge downer, but unexplained weightloss can be a red flag (warning sign for cancer) as well...I might get a checkup at the doctor, just make sure everything is going in the right direction. If it checks out then it's all good, but if not you'll be glad you went.
  • kkmark
    kkmark Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Way to go

Great job and welcome
  • ktsmama
    ktsmama Posts: 1
    Options
    Congratulations!! Keep up the good work.
  • taletreader
    taletreader Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    This is a very healthy rate for you to lose weight -- don't get sucked into a desire to compete now that you know you can be successful! Good luck & good losing!
  • candirw
    candirw Posts: 22
    Options
    That is fantastic! 13 lbs just by being aware of your food choices! Imagine what you will accomplish when you get moving! Keep it up, and keep checking your sugar!
  • fatt_tony_13
    Options
    Congratulations on the 13lb. weightloss! I don't mean to be a huge downer, but unexplained weightloss can be a red flag (warning sign for cancer) as well...I might get a checkup at the doctor, just make sure everything is going in the right direction. If it checks out then it's all good, but if not you'll be glad you went.

I have been to the Dr several times since for checkups and what not (a new dr). I assume the weight loss is due to my portion control and the small bit of exercise I was getting. So no need to feel like you are being a downer, I appreciate the advice. Before it was nothing for me to eat a 3lb butter bowl full of cereal for breakfast, a value meal at McDonalds for lunch, 2/3 of an extra large pizza for dinner, and 2 peanut butter sandwiches for a snack before bed. All that and no exercise.
  • rosebud916
    rosebud916 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Well I don't know how long you been on medication , but i know if you are on metformin that will cause you to lose weight without trying , in fact it is used for weight loss in obese people , but if your on that and your watching what you eat then I say you will lose weight , keep it up , you owe it to yourself , my sugar was running a little higher to but Im not on medication , im giving myself time to see if I can control it myself. good luck !
  • Nigel99
    Nigel99 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Good work! As the others have said, make sure that everything is ok, but otherwise it seems like at least some exercise and portion control at least has you off to a good start.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!