Frustrated-OT

Options
Fab140
Fab140 Posts: 1,976 Member
I know that these forums are to be used as weight loss tools and all that jazz, but y'all are the only "friends" I have (besides the hubby) and I need to vent and maybe get some suggestions.

I have been job hunting for two years. My current job isn't terrible, I don't have dramatic people, I don't have crazy bosses....but in case any of you have noticed, I have A LOT of time on my hands. And that's just not who I am!! I'm a worker, I love to have mulitple things in my In Box (don't say it Max). It seems, though, that the interviewers love me in the interviews (even go so far as to say they are positive that I will be getting the position) and then I get the "we went another direction" call. :cry:

I am BEYOND frustrated. I am afraid that it's the lack of education (I took a few classes at college, but no degrees) that is shooting me in the foot here! I can't afford classes right now and I feel like I'm stuck in this cycle and it's affecting my diet and how I deal with it. :brokenheart: I don't binge, but I go home and pour a cocktail because I "want to relax". It's really affecting my mood and if it keeps going this way, my husband is bound to get fed up with the attitude.

I will keep putting my resume out there, but I just feel so let down and so dejected and that there is no reason to bother. :frown: :cry:

Ok, vented......
Thanks for listening.
:heart:
M

Replies

• Fab140
    Options
    I know that these forums are to be used as weight loss tools and all that jazz, but y'all are the only "friends" I have (besides the hubby) and I need to vent and maybe get some suggestions.

I have been job hunting for two years. My current job isn't terrible, I don't have dramatic people, I don't have crazy bosses....but in case any of you have noticed, I have A LOT of time on my hands. And that's just not who I am!! I'm a worker, I love to have mulitple things in my In Box (don't say it Max). It seems, though, that the interviewers love me in the interviews (even go so far as to say they are positive that I will be getting the position) and then I get the "we went another direction" call. :cry:

I am BEYOND frustrated. I am afraid that it's the lack of education (I took a few classes at college, but no degrees) that is shooting me in the foot here! I can't afford classes right now and I feel like I'm stuck in this cycle and it's affecting my diet and how I deal with it. :brokenheart: I don't binge, but I go home and pour a cocktail because I "want to relax". It's really affecting my mood and if it keeps going this way, my husband is bound to get fed up with the attitude.

I will keep putting my resume out there, but I just feel so let down and so dejected and that there is no reason to bother. :frown: :cry:

Ok, vented......
    Thanks for listening.
    :heart:
    M
  • kellch
    kellch Posts: 7,849 Member
    Options
    The economy is crap right now and so is the job market. I doubt it's anything you've done....Chin up....
    You'll find something. Of course....More time =more MFP :bigsmile: :drinker:

But I know what you mean. It makes the day go by when you're busier and it makes you feel accomplished when you get the job done.:flowerforyou: And I know, personally, I hate the job search process. That's one of the reasons I'm still at this place(besides it's tough to find a job that pays like this one when you don't have a college degree...or even when you do , for that matter). It stinks...:grumble:

We're here for ya girlie....:flowerforyou: :smooched: :heart:

*hugs*
  • rethun01
    rethun01 Posts: 167
    Options
    I'm not sure where you are located. (I suppose I should have looked on your profile before I started responding) but I know in our area the job market is very tough my husband finished his MBA and it still took a TON of job interviews and 6 months to find a good job.

As a former HR person, I got really mad at interviewers who tell candidates things like "You'll definitely get this job" because you never know who is going to walk in the door next. So I'm sorry for people making stuid statements like tat and leading you on. That is like one of the top 5 things NOT to do during an interview. **sigh**

The education portion may be hurting you right now, just because the market is so saturated with people trying to find a job. And the hiring managers make ridiculous criteria for positions. Like, "must have a bachelors degree" or "must be Microsoft Excel Certified". They just come up with this stuff as if that really makes a person a better candidate. I have hired people for my small business that don't even have their GED that are smarter and better workers than people with their MBA.

Keep your head up and keep trying. Its a tough road to be going down with the current state of jobs & the economy. But you can do it. Eventually the right job will appear at the right time. :bigsmile:
  • carak2000
    Options
    Hey darlin,

It's really good that you got that all out and we are all here for you!

I can see how that is really frustrating. I think that it is possible that not having a degree can be a disadvantage; however, we all know that there are many skills and knowledge that cannot be learned in the classroom and only from experience. I would say keep doing what you're doing and when the time is right you will find another job. Are you utilizing all of your resources, like websites like monster.com and careerbuilder.com that give resume and job searching advice? The other thing, of course, is this awful economy right now. Company's may think they want to hire someone new then realize they can't afford it. Just keep your head up and your chance will come. For now, focus on the positive at your current job, like you said in post - no dramatic people or crazy bosses, etc.

As for the diet, maybe you can use it as an impetus to exercise more. I know for me, when I had a bad day or I'm frustrated about something, I go work it out at the gym. And if I'm in an especially bad mood, I get a significantly better workout because I'm so heated, haha. I promise you feel much better than you do after a cocktail and you feel like you did something productive. And, this just popped into my head, if you do make that extra trip to the gym and burn those extra calories, you can afford to have that cocktail or any other treat that may make you feel better :).

Keep on keeping on and continue to vent to us if you need anything!
  • tamazinglee
    tamazinglee Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Who are you using as references? Do you know if they interviewers are calling for references? I am just wondering if someone might no be giving you the best reference. If the interviews go so well and the interviewer is giving you positive feedback and telling you that you probably will get the job....it makes me think something is happening after you leave the interviews. Maybe references or old bosses???
  • Anna_Banana
    Anna_Banana Posts: 2,939 Member
    Options
    I know it can be hard. I'm so sorry your down. I had a hard time finding a job also and kind of had to settle. And I do have degrees, one in economics and one in business administration. But I beleive all things happen for a reason, and when the timing is right and all the stars are aligned, and God feels that you are needed somewhere else, it will happen. I'm guessing there is a plan for you where you are and after you fulfilled that, you will be able to move on. Until then just hang on. We love you and are here for you {{{{hugs}}}}
  • rethun01
    Options
    References are rarely, if ever called. Just an FYI. It depends on the company, but I've worked for both the federal government and a Fortune 50 company and we NEVER called references.
  • tamazinglee
    tamazinglee Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    References are rarely, if ever called. Just an FYI. It depends on the company, but I've worked for both the federal government and a Fortune 50 company and we NEVER called references.
    Wow, really? I must be applying at all the wrong places. :grumble: My references have always been called and checked. And I've had multiple employers call me to ask for references on others.
  • Fab140
    Options
    Wow, really? I must be applying at all the wrong places. :grumble: My references have always been called and checked. And I've had multiple employers call me to ask for references on others.

:flowerforyou: Thanks you guys!! I'm feeling better.....

And I have spoken to my references, and none of them have been called. I have spoken to the HR people I interview and ask if there are areas I can improve in so that I may be able to get a position and they all say that I'm actually fine.

Beats the heck outta me!!
  • Fab140
    Options
    I know it can be hard. I'm so sorry your down. I had a hard time finding a job also and kind of had to settle. And I do have degrees, one in economics and one in business administration. But I beleive all things happen for a reason, and when the timing is right and all the stars are aligned, and God feels that you are needed somewhere else, it will happen. I'm guessing there is a plan for you where you are and after you fulfilled that, you will be able to move on. Until then just hang on. We love you and are here for you {{{{hugs}}}}

I'm hoping your right, Banana....God must have a different idea for my future!! :wink: :laugh:
  • Fab140
    Options

We're here for ya girlie....:flowerforyou: :smooched: :heart:

*hugs*

:love: :smooched:

:drinker: :bigsmile: :drinker: :bigsmile:
  • Anna_Banana
    Anna_Banana Posts: 2,939 Member
    Options

Mine have always been called too.
  • rethun01
    Options

Mine have always been called too.

Like I said, depends on the company. From my point of view its a waste of time. Legally all anyone can do is call and confirm the dates of your employment. Its illegal to ask questions like, "What we're they like as an employee" or anything else.
  • christelpistol
    christelpistol Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    sweetie, why not take a month off?

and you might be surprised what lands in your lap.
  • JennyGetsFit
    JennyGetsFit Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Fab - I sent you an e-mail :love: