too much protein?

Options
Today I stayed under 100 grams of carbs and 1200 calories but I ate 90 grams of protein mostly from chicken breast, chobani yogurt, and 2 scrambled eggs this morning, is this too much protein MFP says I should only be eating 45 grams, will this make me gain weight? (I did not exercise today by the way!)

Replies

• stevemcknight
    stevemcknight Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    no way - the MFP settings are stupid low for protein. Change it to 25-35% and you'll get more results. Worry more about the huge amount of carbs that MFP suggests!
  • coderedcoderedjkjk
    Options
    Protein is really good for you. The standards here are very low. And it helps contribute to muscle gain, which burns fat. I highly suggest doing some strength training as muscle burns more calories, and it gives you some tone so you look good.
  • SunLovin1
    SunLovin1 Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    no way - the MFP settings are stupid low for protein. Change it to 25-35% and you'll get more results. Worry more about the huge amount of carbs that MFP suggests!

This. Definitely too high on carbs.
  • FitPhysique
    FitPhysique Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    when I tried to follwo the crab intake as suggested here. The scale harldy move. I was losing .2-.6 lbs but when I lower my carb intake I lost 3-4 lbs a week. So this week I went back to lowering my carbo.
  • kristarablue
    Options

Can we adjust the protein in MFP so it shows up in our data? Or just figure it out on our own?
  • lmm3491
    lmm3491 Posts: 1
    Options
    I agree with them. My mom is going through Bariatric classes right now and they really stress the eating protein, and they say to eat it first because it makes you fuller than anything else. And I don't think too much protein is bad for you unless its all from animals and therefore you also get the cholesterol which isn't always good for you.
  • slimquik
    slimquik Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Other sites suggest 100g protein daily if trying to lose weight and exercising vigorously in order to build muscle. btw, my intake today was a whopping 177g and a 1400 calorie intake. I worked out 1400 calories today. I have also noticed that my muscles don't hurt as much after exercising, am less fatigued and not so hungry with my high protein diet.
  • SpencerR
    SpencerR Posts: 37
    Options
    It depends! Left over protein and carbs turn into fat.... If ur lifting weights u want protein but if ur not u don't want to much. Its suggested u eat 1g of protein per pound of lean muscle you have......For example I weigh 176 lbs but have 155 lbs of lean muscle so I'm suppose to eat a minimum of 155g of protein but I lift weights hard. Most people do not and do not need to consume outragouse amounts of protein....like everyone else said...keep your carbs low
  • pkpzp228
    pkpzp228 Posts: 146 Member
    Options

This. Definitely too high on carbs.

+1 on both accounts, carbs are excessively high. You should manually set you percentage goals based on where you're at in your fitness program. For example I just finished 4 weeks of concentrating of fat reduction where I was shooting for 50% protein, 30% carb, 20% fat. Now I'm at 40/40/20 for a maintenance phase.