Weird looks when ordering food???

Options

Replies

• BecksgotBack
    BecksgotBack Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I go to Carls Jr or Jack in the box and order a chicken sandwich with a side salad instead of fries and even the most serious looking cashier normally smiles.

At least it's not as bad as my coworker. At jack in the box, he orders a Bacon Double Cheese Burger, Large Fries and a Large DIET coke.

LOL, right cuz the DIET coke is going to make up for the Cheeseburger/Heart attack on a bun!! you haven't seen eye rolling and weird looks until you go out with me....i always order my salad dressing on the side etc, and my food can't "touch" so i have to ask them to put stuff on different plates.
  • astovey
    astovey Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Get it all the time! I order kids meals at Cracker Barrel, Subway, etc. I always get the side salad at Texas Roadhouse (no cheese or croutons) and ask for it as my meal....ALWAYS get funny looks
  • Spitfirex007
    Spitfirex007 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    I go to Carls Jr or Jack in the box and order a chicken sandwich with a side salad instead of fries and even the most serious looking cashier normally smiles.

At least it's not as bad as my coworker. At jack in the box, he orders a Bacon Double Cheese Burger, Large Fries and a Large DIET coke.

LOL, right cuz the DIET coke is going to make up for the Cheeseburger/Heart attack on a bun!! you haven't seen eye rolling and weird looks until you go out with me....i always order my salad dressing on the side etc, and my food can't "touch" so i have to ask them to put stuff on different plates.

I have never understood why people do that. It's stupid.
  • TonyaJ83
    TonyaJ83 Posts: 155
    Options
    I am vegan. So i order "weird" all the time. I don't notice any odd looks. And I don't feel "weird" doing it because I know I'm doing right for MY body. One couldn't pay me to eat animal products. Vegetarianism and Veganism is rather common where I'm from, though. I order pizza without cheese & veggies only. I order burgers with no meat or cheese or any mayo. I order sandwiches without meat or cheese and no mayo - add avocado to make it more filling. I LOVE my food! :D
  • kateopotato
    kateopotato Posts: 215 Member
    Options

I used to do that. Not because I thought I was being healthy but because I don't like the taste of regular soda, as strange as that may seem... Except I don't like bacon, or jack in the box so it was more like a big Mac large fries and a diet coke
  • Nmama
    Nmama Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    This!
    Yes, try ordering a salad with no dressing. I have always done this even before getting healthy just because I don't like dressing. People think this is the weirdest thing in the world.
  • khrys1
    khrys1 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Whenever I'm having a "naughty" eating out day and get a plain cheeseburger, I always eat only ONE of the buns to save calories- I actually had one of the staff comment that I was the second person he'd seen that day only eating half the bun! Guess it's catching on!
  • Becky011
    Becky011 Posts: 384
    Options
    Yep! I've had that too but I stopped paying attention to it a long time ago, i figure I'm paying YOU for my food so make it how i want it whether it be with gobbs and gobbs of fat or Without :laugh: I'm sure they don't look funny at people who ask for extra cheese so screw them! haha ok a little agressive but you get my drift
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    As a vegetarian who is severely allergic to citrus I am more than used to funny looks when ordering. I have to quiz very closely on ingredients.
  • get_it_gone2012
    Options
    Haha! I get the same looks when I get food at my university dining hall. They load things up with mayo and stuff, and always 2 slices of cheese! So I'll ask for a teensy bit of mayo on one side, and ONE slice of cheese. I get very strange looks. Same thing at dinner, they'll give me one scoop of rice, and I'll say "that's good" otherwise I'll wind up with 4 or 5 scoops and they look at me like I'm nuts. I find it funny! :laugh: It's like these people are completely oblivious to the fact that there are people that would ask for LESS food. Hilarious! :bigsmile:
  • audjrey
    audjrey Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    That's one of the main reasons why I don't eat out anymore!

Warning - Eating at home might not be for everyone. Please check with your doctor is you experience any of the following side effects:

*knowing exactly what ingredients are in your meal
    *control over your portion sizes
    *setting a great example for your kids
    * saving a ton of money
  • fittocycle
    fittocycle Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    Love the post about the eating at home side effects!!:laugh:

I've been to a Mexican restaurant and ordered one chicken taco, ala carte. I've had the waitress ask me, is that all? When I say yes, she asks, are you sure? Come on, that's really all I want!

I'm with you all on the kid's meals. It really is the perfect size and probably what restaurant portions used to be like 30 years ago!
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Yeah I get the subway look all the time, I go in for my meat and cheese sub, extra cheese, no sauce no veggies nothing... they always get this... you're paying for that stuff... yeah you're right so when I don't want it I don't want it.

THat's why I WILL go to subway over Tim Hortons who seems to have a formula to make their sandwiches that can't be strayed from, yeah it's a sandwich yeah its fast but I'm paying for it I want it MY way.

For pizza fun order one with no sauce... tomato sensitivity with one of my friends, took them 4 pizzas to get it right one night... we had 3 free pizzas feed us for the week :P

Now all this talk of special food orders has made me realize I haven't had a good club sandwich in ages, I think the only way I'll get that MY way is to make it at home... time to see if there's any turkey left.

oh and the diet coke with my meal, I'm already taking a 1000 calorie hit from the meal, if I choose to have a 0 calorie soft drink with it so I don't get bumped to a 1400 calorie meal I will. So there :P ;) Besides they give me a glass of water to go with it for nothing!
  • niknik43
    niknik43 Posts: 36
    Options
    When I first ordered a turkey sandwich with no cheese, no mayonnaise, loaded with veggies at our local Subway, the young man there didn't bat an eye. When we got to the cash register, he asked me (very discretely) if I was counting calories or watching my weight. I said yes, that I was trying to make better choices, and he went into the office and brought out a Subway nutritional guide booklet for me to take home. He was so friendly and helpful...and, I might add, very fit and buff. :wink:
  • Barelmy
    Barelmy Posts: 590 Member
    Options

Because you really don't need to add another thousand or so calories on top of the thousands already consumed?

There are different layers of 'bad'.
  • Barelmy
    Options
    When I first ordered a turkey sandwich with no cheese, no mayonnaise, loaded with veggies at our local Subway, the young man there didn't bat an eye. When we got to the cash register, he asked me (very discretely) if I was counting calories or watching my weight. I said yes, that I was trying to make better choices, and he went into the office and brought out a Subway nutritional guide booklet for me to take home. He was so friendly and helpful...and, I might add, very fit and buff. :wink:

How nice of him! That must be a difficult question to ask politely.
  • Barelmy
    Options
    I'm with you all on the kid's meals. It really is the perfect size and probably what restaurant portions used to be like 30 years ago!

It is, at least in fast food. All the big macs and larger sizes and so on are new. A kids meal was a full adult meal when they began.
  • jsmjboertlein
    Options

THAt is what kills me. I used to work at Mcdonlads as a kid and HUGE people would come in and order two double quarter pounders, super sized fry, and 6 pc nugget with a super sized diet coke. Honestly? It's not going to fix anything people, you're gonna have to try harder.

I have always, since I was a kid, gotten salad with no dressing cause I find dressing gross. And get weird looks. I now order all kinds of weird healthy options and never ger weird looks except for at Subway. They act like they cannot comprehend no sauce and no cheese.
  • ZachyABaby
    ZachyABaby Posts: 235
    Options
    I worked at Subway as a kid and man nobody EVER ordered no sauce. I get the same thing. Especially when I'm at a business lunch and order a turkey burger or something. All the guys kind of raise an eyebrow. Then I break the table in half with my forehead and they realize I'm kin to Chuck Norris. It all stops there.
  • NanoReefDiver
    Options
    I would always get diet coke over normal coke. I was raised on diet coke so normal coke is much too sweet! I think of it the same way I do skim milk. I may ask for skim milk with my third helping of cake but it's only cause I can't stand 2% milk.

Good idea on the kiddie meals!