I don't seem to be losing any!

Options
Hi

I've been using MFP for about a month, and bought some decent scales 3 weeks ago so that's when I counted my weight from. I'm under my my calories most days and do at least 30 minutes of exercise most days.

At first I seemed to be heading down but that just seems to be the day-to-day wobble, and this morning I was back to my starting weight!

Why's it not going? I'm feeling a bit disheartened by this. :cry:

Replies

• chrisallcock
    Options
    well ive learned from this site that if you dont intake enuf calories even though you are within your limit your body goes into starvation mode and can make u gain weight, so basically are you getting as close to your calorie allowence as you possibly can especially with you exercising, if not this could be a cause
  • bunnysone
    bunnysone Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Hey! Change it up!! What are you eatin? how often are you exercising? how well are you sleeping? how much weight do you have to lose? how dedicated are you really?

Im happy to help with motivation if you want - Im also in a plateau period and im shaking my body up to see what falls off :)
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,630 Member
    Options
    check out posts on eating enough. Remember this is a lifelong journey. Your body has been training one way, and you need to retrain. I am still majorly working on this, but know that when I eat properly the scales are in my favor! Good luck on your journey!
  • morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    Are you eating your exersise calories ? Are you drinking enough water? getting enough sleep?

You might also find the links below helpful...

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/61706-guide-to-calorie-deficit

This is just a part of it! please read the link above

Generally someone with a BMI over 32 can do a 1000 calorie a day (2 lbs a week) deficit
    With a BMI of 30 to 32 a deficit of 750 calories is generally correct (about 1.5 lbs a week)
    With a BMI of 28 to 30 a deficit of 500 calories is about right (about 1 lb a week)
    With a BMI of 26 to 28 a deficit of about 300 calories is perfect (about 1/2 lb a week)
    and below 26... well this is where we get fuzzy. See now you're no longer talking about being overweight, so while it's still ok to have a small deficit, you really should shift your focus more towards muscle tone, and reducing fat. This means is EXTRA important to eat your exercise calories as your body needs to KNOW it's ok to burn fat stores, and the only way it will know is if you keep giving it the calories it needs to not enter the famine response (starvation mode)

Good luck on your journey
  • wairererose
    Options
    Add your measurements as well, they may change even when your weight doesn't. Be sure to keep your water intake up as that helps the body let it go, and water weighs a heap.
  • idahogirl71
    idahogirl71 Posts: 1,110 Member
    Options
    There are many factors that can come into play....that time of the month, sodium intake, converting fat into muscle, not eating enough calories, eating too many calories, not drinking enough water, weighing at different times of the day......and on and on and on. It is hard to know without seeing all your stats (food diary, etc) what exactly it is. Also do you measure your food for 100% accuracy? Do you nibble without reporting it?
  • purpleisiscat
    purpleisiscat Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I don't nibble without reporting and I do eat most of my exercise calories.
    Maybe I need to up the water drinking-I drink quite a bit but maybe not enough. *sigh*
  • velvetkat
    velvetkat Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I have a lot of weight to lose so I'm not sure if my situation will be of any use but here goes.. I've been here for 5 weeks and have lost 25lbs. In that time my caloric intake has dropped according to when I weigh in. To me it seems that WHAT I eat is as important as to how much I eat. The proper combinations of food helps you lose weight. In the tracker categories I don't go over the limits except maybe for Protein once in a while. I also started with exercising 30 min a few times a week to now I am exercising 2 hours a day.. Not all at once of course but over the course of the day. This week I added just another 15 min to change things up. So far this has worked for me and I am not going to bed hungry or feeling like I am depriving myself. I do not eat my exercise calories though and not sure if that makes a difference. People seem to have different opinions about that. If you want you can add me as a friend and I can help with motivation or with any questions you have that might help you get back to losing!
    Kat
  • caat1rules
    caat1rules Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    In 1 months time you would have lost a descent amount of weight before you would have gone into “starvation mode”. You must be complete and honest about your entries, including your initial set up. If you are diligent, complete and honest, you will lose weight. Good luck and don’t quit.
  • camtrader
    Options
    I think this may be some kind of advertisement, but the facts about fat in your diet are right on:

http://www.coconutresearchcenter.org/article10065.htm

I don't use any coconut oil, but my diet is at least 30% fat with only 20% carbs. I lost 5 lbs the first week with no exercise.
  • chillijam1
    chillijam1 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    hi are you being totally honest with everything your putting on your diary ,including tea,coffee and any alcohol you drink,plus maragarines ,butters etc and dressing ?
    ive found that you need to put every little thing on,because it all mounts up on your calories.
    dont be disheartened just watch all your portion sizes and calorie intake and im sure you will be back on track soon.:smile: