Question about soreness

Options
I've been actively working out 5-7 times a week since November - but, for the most part, it has been all cardio. My husband bought me EA Sports Active 2 for our PS3 on Sunday, and I did the workouts on Sunday and Monday. I have another one scheduled today buuut I am SO sore. I know it's a good thing, but oh my, I can barely walk.

I figure I can push through if that's whats best - but - more so, my question is that I have more workouts scheduled for Thursday/Friday. I'm going skiing on Friday and if I'm this sore, skiing will be a miserable waste of my money. How long does it take your body to recover from muscle soreness?

Replies

• helenmelon29
    helenmelon29 Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    I usually find if I keep doing it each day Im usually ok. But dont takemy advise - dont want you too sore to ski! x
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    If it is just muscle soreness from a new workout or heavy weights, 3-4 days. If it lasts longer then that, see a doctor. ;)
  • fitniknik
    fitniknik Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    I would do a few toned down work outs for the next couple days. I ran 4 miles for the first time in a long long time on saturday. Im more sore than I can ever remember being in my life! The only time for the past couple days I have felt reasonable is when I was doing a light work out. now today its slowly starting to get better! Drink extra water (will help the lactic acid move out faster, also take advil or something along those lines-helps lots). Good luck!
  • 85specialk
    Options
    depends on the exercise i've done and the degree of soreness. I just recovered from being extremely sore myself - i went to a new exercise class on friday (bodypump - strength training, lifting weights, lunges etc), and i have never in my life been so sore before. both saturday and sunday were really bad, and while it got a little better on monday it wasn't all good until today (tuesday). apparently DOMS (delayed onset of muscle soreness) is usually at its worst between 24-72 hours after training.
  • OLP76
    OLP76 Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    I'm on Week 3 of P90X LEAN...First & Second week - I was soooo sore...I remember gettin' up the next day and barely can walk - cause of my sore muscles...but once I started movin' around, and gettin' my body warmed up - the soreness slowly went away. Don't be afraid to have a nice hot shower as well or a hot bath to soothe the soreness...Everyone is different as to relieve the soreness...I also have Rheumatoid Arthritsis - so far so good - this workout has been good on my joints :) ...best wishes xo :flowerforyou:
  • lareyna124
    Options
    Are you taking any supplements? Try L-Glutamine. it helps me alot with muscle soreness!
  • erikblock
    erikblock Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I would do a few toned down work outs for the next couple days. I ran 4 miles for the first time in a long long time on saturday. Im more sore than I can ever remember being in my life! The only time for the past couple days I have felt reasonable is when I was doing a light work out. now today its slowly starting to get better! Drink extra water (will help the lactic acid move out faster, also take advil or something along those lines-helps lots). Good luck!

I totally hear you. I ran five miles two days ago...for the first time EVER. I expected my legs to be sore, but my whole body is sore: My legs, my back, my shoulders, my arms....EVERYTHING. I wasn't expecting that at all.
  • Spitfirex007
    Spitfirex007 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    I drink P90X Recovery formula. I haven't had a sore day yet.
  • BRSchmitt
    Options
    I would totally relax for the next couple days. If these are your first workouts of this type your body typically takes about a week to recover fully from soreness. My best advice would be to take off completly until your vacation is over, you won't lose much in the way of excercise gains and you will certainly enjoy yourself more.

B.Schmitt
    Exercise Physiologist
  • tonedover
    tonedover Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    rest day and i find that adding a healthy and reasonable amount of sugar to your diet for one day can assist in soreness
  • cohollywood
    Options
    Thanks for the tips everyone! I appreciate it!

I think I might do a workout today, hit the hot tub tonight, and take the next few days off and just go back to some basic cardio until after our ski day.
  • tolygal
    tolygal Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    The trainers at my gym said the best thing you can do for sorness is to workout and stretch. By workout, that may mean only walking if you're super sore. But get everything moving, warm and then stretch. Also - massage the sore areas as much as you can. And lots and lots of water!

When I added weight training, it took me at least 4 days to feel like I could even consider of doing any excercise - I was REALLY REALLY sore. I litterally couldn't sit down without help and when my son tried to sit on my lap, I about died! It was bad! The next time it happened, I pushed myself to do something - I couldn't do what I usually do - but I did something and stretched - and it did help. Now that it's not "new" to my body, I'm usually only sore for a day, so it will get better.

I would hold off on that workout until after you get back from skiing - you won't want to be sore for that. I mean - I would do something and stretch...hot tub sounds nice :-) But I wouldn't do the same workout this week. If you're that sore, you may not even by physically able to yet - if you're feeling anything like I was LOL!