Eggs in a Slow Cooker

Options
Do any of you make eggs in a crockpot? I'm looking for a low fuss way to cook a large quantity and freeze them for quick breakfasts.

Replies

• crystaltrejo
    crystaltrejo Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    can't say I ever heard of that....
  • swenard
    swenard Posts: 101
    Options
    I've never done them in a crockpot but they only take about twenty minutes to make in a regular pot. Is that not an option?
  • WomanofWorth
    WomanofWorth Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I've never done them in a crockpot but they only take about twenty minutes to make in a regular pot. Is that not an option?

Not unless I want to get even earlier than I already do. As it is, I'm up at 4:30 to get the workout done and breakfast eaten. I'd like to remove a step in the omelet making process since I always saute lots of veggies too.
  • skinnyme125
    skinnyme125 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    to the veggies the night before and then when you make your omlet in the morning just throw the veggies in. Omlets only take about five minutes to make and this would save tons of time. :)
  • redefiningmyself
    redefiningmyself Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    When I used to work in a daycare we made scrambled eggs in a large casserole dish in the oven. You just premix your eggs and anything you want to put it them. Spray the dish with pam add the eggs and stuff, and put it in the oven around 350 (no lid). Check on them every few minutes, and mix them up each time you check. It doesn't take very long, maybe 15-30 minutes. (I can't remember exactly as its been years since I did that.)
    Anyway, we did that and served 35 kids that way.

I didn't know you could freeze eggs though, that would be even better if you can. :)
  • Diannerv
    Diannerv Posts: 195
    Options
    Yes you can cook eggs in a slow cooker and they taste pretty good, however I have never froze them, but it might be worth a try. I have a vegetable egg quiche recipe but they are baked in muffins pans and then I throw those in the freezer. Go to Betty crockers website, they had some recipes. You might need to modify for healthier options. I have a delicious egg crockpot breakfast recipe that I make when we have guests but Its higher in calories. The key is spray the crockpot, get ingredients and layer. Beat all the eggs and just pour them on top. Cook for 8 hous or over night. Did any of that make sense?? :bigsmile: If I was going to make a healthy option I would used cubed ham and lots of veggies and a little bit of cheese. I will check back to see what other say!

Do any of you make eggs in a crockpot? I'm looking for a low fuss way to cook a large quantity and freeze them for quick breakfasts.
  • mcmcat13
    mcmcat13 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    If I know I am going to make an omelet, I always saute the veggies and/or meats the night before, so then I can just throw them in the omelet and it takes no longer than 5 minutes for everything to cook in the AM.
  • Diannerv
    Diannerv Posts: 195
    Options
    Heres the one from Betty Crocker, I dont know the nutrional value but you get the idea. I would use ingredients you like again and make it healthy. But I guess the main question is yes you can put eggs in a crockpot and yes they taste good and yes you can freeze it... ha ha ha...

8 slices bacon
    1 package (8 oz) sliced fresh mushrooms (3 cups)
    3 tablespoons margarine or butter
    16 eggs
    1 cup half-and-half or milk
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon pepper
    1 can (10 3/4 oz) condensed cream of mushroom soup
    2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
    4 Italian plum tomatoes, quartered, sliced
    2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese (8 oz)

1 In 12-inch nonstick skillet, cook bacon until crisp. Drain on paper towels. Crumble bacon; set aside. Reserve 1 tablespoon bacon drippings in skillet. Add mushrooms to drippings; cook 4 to 5 minutes or until tender, stirring frequently. Remove from skillet; set aside. Wipe skillet clean with paper towel.
    2 Melt margarine in same skillet over medium heat. Beat eggs in large bowl. Add half-and-half, salt and pepper; blend well. Add egg mixture to skillet; cook over medium heat until firm but still moist, stirring occasionally. Stir in soup and chives.
    3 Place half of egg mixture in 3 1/2 or 4-quart slow cooker. Top with half each of the cooked mushrooms, tomatoes, cheese and crumbled bacon. Repeat layers.
    4 Serve immediately, or cover and keep warm on low setting for up to 4 hours.
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    During warmer weather I usually have a big surplus of eggs (I have chickens), I freeze the surplus by breaking 2 or 3 eggs into baggies and setting them on a cookie tray so they freeze flat, then as I need extra eggs when production is down I can draw on my frozen supplies. I use frozen for baked goods, where eggs are an ingredient in something else overall. Worth a try, just take out the frozen baggie and put them in the fridge the night before needed
  • elzettel
    elzettel Posts: 256
    Options
    Have you ever tried the ziploc steam bags? They have a recipe for an omelete...with real eggs or the substitue. You can mix it up in the bag the night before and leave it in the fridge to pop in the microwave in the am. I tried it and not too bad. My microwave was a little higher power than what the recipe called for so the edges were a little rubbery...just need to tweak it a bit. Do you ever do oatmeal? I've made steel cut oats in the crock pot (usually a serving of 4) and put left overs in the fridge for the rest of the week. Pretty good and you can mix up what you put in so it isn't quite so boring...check the recipe board here or google crock pot oats. Another option for eggs is to hard boil some sunday night to keep in the fridge to grab and go.
  • WomanofWorth
    WomanofWorth Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!!! All of you have given me some terrific tips!
  • nomex
    nomex Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Ihave heard fo making them in the oven. You could prepare them the night before and then pop them in the oven while you work out ?
  • GIBride01
    GIBride01 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I make my husband breakfast burritos that he eats almost daily. Scramble a dozen eggs, add a cup to a cup and a half salsa, some diced jalapeno's, beans, sausage..anything you like. Roll it up in some low fat tortillas, will ususally make ~14 or so burritos which I wrap in foil individually and freeze. Take one out in the morning, nuke it for 2 1/2 min , rewrap it in the foil I froze it in and throw it in hubbys lunch bag. Makes for a healthy , filling and no cook breakfast. Takes me about an hour to make all the burritos ahead of time. Not a slow cooker recipe, but definitely quick and easy way to have eggs in the morning!
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    microwave... scramble up the eggs and pour out into a deep plate or larger flat bottom bowl and cover with a vented microwaveable lid. This only works well if you have the rotating thing in the microwave. Nuke 90 seconds, check it, nuke again for intervals until almost done (mine takes 1 min 47 seconds). Fill it with what ever, fold it over and nuke 20-30 seconds until the filling is warm.

OR

Cook the omelets up on the weekend. Let them freeze on a cookie sheet, then put in zip lock bags, then back into the freezer. Take one out as needed and microwave on a plate covered with a paper towel to prevent splatters.