OK OK, I Know, A Lot Of You Don't Like

Options
Atkins!!!!

OK, I have tried it, everyone elses way, and I am still struggling. But thank you for all the support and input.

Why can't we all loose the same way?? Easily??

I have officially started the 14 day Atkins Program, for good this time.

I honestly had a great body response and I actually kept the weight off.

When I first started it 3-5 years back, I had energy, I was loosing like I was supposed to and I did not have any cravings.

Then, I started doing something different, like allowing the 90-100 cal snacks. Or adding one snack with sugar a day, as a treat.

And the 124 lbs I lost went back to 60 gained!!!

Ya'll, I am so miserable. I am stuck at 226.5-227.

I need some confidence that I can really do this.

So for the next 14 days, I am going to get a JUMP START, so to speak, then continue with the meal plans like I used to.

I know deep down, with me, I have to have this sort of strictness!!!!!

Love ya all, and I am thankful to have my peeps on MFP, so thank you.

I will continue to BS with all ya'll and keep ya updated....

Replies

• elliott062907
    elliott062907 Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    Atkins!!!!

OK, I have tried it, everyone elses way, and I am still struggling. But thank you for all the support and input.

Why can't we all loose the same way?? Easily??

I have officially started the 14 day Atkins Program, for good this time.

I honestly had a great body response and I actually kept the weight off.

When I first started it 3-5 years back, I had energy, I was loosing like I was supposed to and I did not have any cravings.

Then, I started doing something different, like allowing the 90-100 cal snacks. Or adding one snack with sugar a day, as a treat.

And the 124 lbs I lost went back to 60 gained!!!

Ya'll, I am so miserable. I am stuck at 226.5-227.

I need some confidence that I can really do this.

So for the next 14 days, I am going to get a JUMP START, so to speak, then continue with the meal plans like I used to.

I know deep down, with me, I have to have this sort of strictness!!!!!

Love ya all, and I am thankful to have my peeps on MFP, so thank you.

I will continue to BS with all ya'll and keep ya updated....
  • AJCM
    AJCM Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    I have read that Atkins can be a good solution for people who have significant amounts to lose, or who have insulin resistance (if you have belly fat, or are an "apple" they say you are good candidate).

I know of countless people who have tried it and failed. With that said, a colleague of mine did it over 10 years ago, lost 130 lbs, and has kept off every pound. After losing it all, he cut back on the fatty choices, and added in whole grains, more fruit, and more veg, and he's still slim and looks quite healthy.

Good luck!
    :flowerforyou:
  • elliott062907
    elliott062907 Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    That's me sugar!!!

I am hypoglycemic and I am a apple with a small pouch.

The funny thing is.... I lost 124 lbs on it and the very minute I started on controlled, refined sugar, I blew up like a balloon, like it was almost overnight....
  • ErinRNinMaine
    ErinRNinMaine Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Because low to no carb diets don't represent a normal eating pattern. The average diet does not consist of avoiding bread, rice, etc. When we restrict carbs, we tend to not have the energy to exercise effectively and combined with low carbs and less energy---we lose lean muscle mass! The more muscle we don't have, the fewer calories we burn.

Here's a great article I found written by a doctor. http://www.quackwatch.org/06ResearchProjects/lcd.html

Maybe it will answer some of your questions!
  • ceedee22ed
    Options
    What does the Atkins diet consist of? Im a 236lbs apple
  • saling4
    Options
    Atkins has different levels, but basically you restrict carbs drastically for 2 weeks and eat a lot of protein. I did 2 weeks strict and lost quite a bit. Then two weeks adding carbs back (a little). That was 2 years ago and I lost 50 lbs and have kept it off. Off course I do weight training and run and bike and swim. My current endeavor is to cut back on the "white menace" and eat whole grains.

Brian
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    It only takes 100 extra calories per DAY to gain 10 lbs in a year. 200 calories per day, 20 lbs in a year. 200 calories is just 4 oreos, 3/4 of a Hershey's bar, a junior cheeseburger, 1.5 pieces of hearty whole grain bread. It is not difficult to gain weight steadily, or even suddenly when you account for a 10-15 lb gain of glycogen and water after reintroducing carbohydrates suddenly.

I'm not saying to go one way or the other, just that it this diet is flawed just like any diet that cuts out a food group. You can be healthy either way, it's just more difficult. If your diet is mainly protein, you are promoting more muscle loss by making your body use it to produce energy. You can convert amino acids to carbohydrate, but one g of amino acids doesn't give you a whole gram's calories worth of glucose, so you're really losing out on calories. Then your body has to use skeletal muscle to produce glucose, because the demands for it are high for your brain alone, let alone the rest of your body. It's better to have a diet higher in fat than protein since it produces more energy when converted to ketones (and can also be converted to glucose).
  • ErinRNinMaine
    ErinRNinMaine Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    It's better to have a diet higher in fat than protein since it produces more energy when converted to ketones (and can also be converted to glucose).

I'm a little confused by this statement? Do you mean it's better to have a higher percentage of your daily calories from fat then from protein? Because I'd have to disagree.
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options
    It's better to have a diet higher in fat than protein since it produces more energy when converted to ketones (and can also be converted to glucose).

I'm a little confused by this statement? Do you mean it's better to have a higher percentage of your daily calories from fat then from protein? Because I'd have to disagree.

Sure. Why do you disagree? Just wondering.

Okay, protein:

Amino acids can be converted to ketones for use in the Krebs Cycle, which is what we use to produce energy in an aerobic environment. Or, as is more often the case, they can be converted to glucose via gluconeogenesis. This glucose is used in slow and fast glycolysis; slow glycolysis takes place in an aerobic environment, sort of like the first guy in a relay race (Slow Glycolysis-Krebs-Electron Transport Chain). It can also be used in fast glycolysis, which is used in an anaerobic environment--and it is the ONLY thing that can be used without oxygen. We engage in anaerobic activity allll day. We stand up--anaerobic. Walk to the fridge-anaerobic. Get a cup-anaerobic. And so on. Every move we make that takes just a few seconds is anaerobic. Our brain uses energy at an alarming rate, and increases when we're thinking hard about something. The brain relies mainly on glucose for the energy. Our demand for glucose is HIGH.

Unfortunately, like I said, when we convert 1 g of protein to 1 g of carbohydrate, we lose about .3 calories. In other words, it takes more than 1 g of protein to produce 4 calories worth of glucose. And we use glucose ALL day. About half of the amino acids are ketogenic, and the other half are glucogenic. So when we rely mostly on protein for energy, we are putting our bodies at a disadvantage--only half of what we ingest can even be used to produce glucose, and we're producing less glucose than the protein we ingest. We can't produce ketones from all of the protein we ingest either. So our bodies more readily break down skeletal muscle to produce more glucose and ketones.

And fat:

The triglcyeride can be broken into two parts--glycerol, which can be converted to glucose--and the fattty acid, which is converted to ketones. EVERY fatty acid can be used to produce ketones, and our bodies will produce them until they reach a certain level of concentration in the blood. (At this point a non-diabetic body would stop, but a diabetic's won't, so this is an ix-nay for the diabetics). The fatty acid-ketone turnover is even, making for a lot of ketones (there are three fatty acids bound to every triglyceride). They will just circulate until they're needed, which is also all the time, because whenever we're sitting, standing, driving, etc for more than a few seconds, our system is fully oxygenated and we can go about or aerobic energy production. If our levels of fat are high, we have plenty of ketone to go around, and we're producing glucose from glycerol. So our dietary protein really only has to be used for glucose production.

Fat doesn't make you fat. A high-fat, no carbohydrate diet won't make you fat either. It just prevents more muscle loss than is necessary.
  • saling4
    Options
    Also we need to remember that all carbs and fats are NOT equal. They may have the same calories, but not the same effect on the body. White bread raises insulin levels immediately, Whole grain release slowly (mostly do to fiber). Try to stay as close to unprocessed foods as possible (outer ring of grocery store). I think fats should compose no more than 20-30% of your calories. These should be good fats: Omega -3. monofats, polyfats and not Transfats or hydrogenated fats.

Personally I strive for 50 carb/30 protein/20 fats. I do Triathlons and lift weight and this has worked for me so far. However, We all are different and have different goals so yours may be different slightly.
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    restircting refined sugars is definitely a smart and healthy choice. But Atkins, from my understanding, severely restricts ALL carbs. This may be, as some suggested, a decent option for some, but I certainly wouldn't even attempt it without first discussing it with a nutritionist. Carbs are important just like protein, and fat, and calcium, and various other vitamins and minerals. I don't think cutting them is an appropriate option for most people. Another thing I noticed when I read your post is that you seem to have an affinity towards refined sugars. Hey, not signalling you out as I am a seriously phenominal baker and I can't help but samply my own delicacies :embarassed: but really, why are you purposely removing something that you seem to like from your diet? Limiting is one thing, eliminating is another. My concern would be that after losing some weight you will treat yourself with something and begin a downhill journey. Our bodies are not meant to be deprived of nutrients. Please talk with a doctor about this, they can at least ensure that you are doing this in a healthy way.
  • LovelyLady1977
    Options
    restircting refined sugars is definitely a smart and healthy choice. But Atkins, from my understanding, severely restricts ALL carbs. This may be, as some suggested, a decent option for some, but I certainly wouldn't even attempt it without first discussing it with a nutritionist. Carbs are important just like protein, and fat, and calcium, and various other vitamins and minerals. I don't think cutting them is an appropriate option for most people. Another thing I noticed when I read your post is that you seem to have an affinity towards refined sugars. Hey, not signalling you out as I am a seriously phenominal baker and I can't help but samply my own delicacies :embarassed: but really, why are you purposely removing something that you seem to like from your diet? Limiting is one thing, eliminating is another. My concern would be that after losing some weight you will treat yourself with something and begin a downhill journey. Our bodies are not meant to be deprived of nutrients. Please talk with a doctor about this, they can at least ensure that you are doing this in a healthy way.

With all due respect, you couldn't be more wrong about Atkins. It does NOT restrict ALL carbs, just grains and starchy veggies (at first, but even those get added back in eventually). All veggies (with the exception of starchy vegetables), and plenty of them, are a big part of Atkins. Atkins also allows for low sugar fruits. Yes we need carbs, but veggies ARE carbs! It really angers me when the misconceptions about low carb start flying. Please research and educate yourselves.
  • LovelyLady1977
    Options
    Because low to no carb diets don't represent a normal eating pattern. The average diet does not consist of avoiding bread, rice, etc. When we restrict carbs, we tend to not have the energy to exercise effectively and combined with low carbs and less energy---we lose lean muscle mass! The more muscle we don't have, the fewer calories we burn.

Here's a great article I found written by a doctor. http://www.quackwatch.org/06ResearchProjects/lcd.html

Maybe it will answer some of your questions!

Perhaps that is one (notice I said ONE) reason why the obesity rate is so high. Not everyone can lose by eating the recommended amounts of grains and/or starches recommended by the USDA, even though they may be eating fewer calories than they burn off. Sometimes it's not all about the calories.

I'm not advocating Atkins at all. I'm just saying that not everyone can lose weight the same way and it's not fair to assume otherwise.
  • AJCM
    AJCM Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    I have never been a fan of Atkins, for myself, as I am a pear-shaped-low-blood-sugar-kinda-gal, who can successfully lose weight and maintain it eating lots of carbs (healthy ones). I tried Atkins for about a day, back when I was a teen (a slim teen - trying to lose 10 lbs - what was I thinking?) and was so light headed and grouchy, I couldn't stand myself!

I can eat a donut once in a while, and it doesn't turn into wanting to eat 10 (whereas some with insulin resistance, one donuts gets the blood sugar signally for another, and another)!

I just also wanted to add that the books even states that you are creating an imbalance (no/low carbs), to correct an imbalance (too much body fat).

The idea is that once you've corrected the imbalance, you restore your diet to a balance of complex carbs, protein, and fruit and veg. However, if you are someone who is sensitive to the carbs, it might be best to avoid certain ones (corn, grapes, etc) because in some people they generate an insulin response, more so than in others.

The first few phases of Atkins are for rapid weight loss, not to be followed for life.

I personally think that there are a million ways to lose weight, and you need to find what works for you. You also need to find what works to keep that weight off for good!

Good luck to all!
    :flowerforyou:
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options

With all due respect, you couldn't be more wrong about Atkins. It does NOT restrict ALL carbs, just grains and starchy veggies (at first, but even those get added back in eventually). All veggies (with the exception of starchy vegetables), and plenty of them, are a big part of Atkins. Atkins also allows for low sugar fruits. Yes we need carbs, but veggies ARE carbs! It really angers me when the misconceptions about low carb start flying. Please research and educate yourselves.

Sorry, but veggies and fruits are not pure carbs, so eating a few kinds of vegetable or fruit and eliminating others is not a good idea.. You're right, not all carbs are created equally, but in my opinion, severely restricting whole grains and starchy vegetables is not a good idea unless you are under a doctor's supervision. You're not going to change my mind. There is a reason why carbs are considered a part of a healthy diet. Wouldn't you look at me like I was a moron if I told you I was going to severely restrict or somepletely eliminate protein from my diet? Sorry, but it's the same thing. You can be angry about my opinion if you like, but I am still entitled to it.
  • LovelyLady1977
    Options

Sorry, but veggies and fruits are not pure carbs, so eating a few kinds of vegetable or fruit and eliminating others is not a good idea.. You're right, not all carbs are created equally, but in my opinion, severely restricting whole grains and starchy vegetables is not a good idea unless you are under a doctor's supervision. You're not going to change my mind. There is a reason why carbs are considered a part of a healthy diet. Wouldn't you look at me like I was a moron if I told you I was going to severely restrict or somepletely eliminate protein from my diet? Sorry, but it's the same thing. You can be angry about my opinion if you like, but I am still entitled to it.

Ok, I didn't say I was angry at you for having an opinion. I get angry when folks get the facts wrong. What is nutritionally wrong with restricting whole grains and starchy vegetables? Why do we NEED them? What nutrition can you get from them that you can not get from protein, dairy, and low carb fruits and vegetables? Why must one be under a doctor's supervision? Sorry, but eliminating protein from the diet and eliminating grains and starchy vegetables is not the same thing.

I'm not trying to change your mind about anything. I'm just saying that just because Atkins is not a good idea for you does not mean that it's not a good idea for others.

Oh, and Atkins allows for more than just a few types of vegetables. There are more of them that you can eat than there are of those that you can't.
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options

Atkins isn't really comparable to cutting out protein. It's more like vegetarianism--restricting one source of glucose and replacing it with another, just like restricting one source of protein and replacing it with another. Vegetarianism just doesn't have the same stigma despite the fact that it can lead to severe malnutrition and death from a lack of B12 in extreme cases. Pretty crazy.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    wow:glasses:
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options
    Sorry, but veggies and fruits are not pure carbs,

Not sure I understand what you mean by 'veggies and fruits are not TRUE carbs'....what then is a true carb in your book?

SImple carbs, complex carbs......what else am I missing? In my healthy eating I definitely consider veggies and fruit as carbs......

bit confused by your statement... :noway:

:flowerforyou: Thanks for an explanation if you can take a moment?
  • LessOfMe
    Options
    Sorry, but veggies and fruits are not pure carbs,

Not sure I understand what you mean by 'veggies and fruits are not TRUE carbs'....what then is a true carb in your book?

SImple carbs, complex carbs......what else am I missing? In my healthy eating I definitely consider veggies and fruit as carbs......

bit confused by your statement... :noway:

:flowerforyou: Thanks for an explanation if you can take a moment?

good point. i always thought veggies were the purest carbs you could get...unlike bread, rice, etc. which need to be processed.