Packing a lunch - ideas?

Options
hawkermurray
hawkermurray Posts: 10 Member
I know that packing my lunch every day is better for my waistline and my wallet. But I'm pretty much out of inspiration! I'm good about packing the apples, carrot sticks and other "sides" but need ideas for the main dish. Anyone have favorite recipes? Ideally with high fiber and vegetable protein?

Replies

• foolismcgee
    Options
    not sure if you have a microwave available to you, but making a little extra for dinner and bringing leftovers for lunch works for me.
  • Miss_Chievous_wechange
    Miss_Chievous_wechange Posts: 1,230 Member
    Options
    I usually take leftovers to work or eat a PB&J sandwich, or a Boca burger with avocado.
  • Thorneapple
    Thorneapple Posts: 154
    Options
    Right about this time of year I start with the salads ....

Spinach with sliced almonds strawberries and balsmic vinegar

Romaine with sliced pear, blue cheese and walnuts

Mixed greens with dried cranberries, sunflower seeds and feta
  • dancingnancies
    dancingnancies Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    turkey sandwich on a high fiber wrap with lettuce tomatoe and roasted red peppers (light mayo or mustard too)

my fav!!
  • teachparents
    teachparents Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    chili or soup , spinach salad, tortillas filled with veggies and small amount of meat/fish ......
  • Blondie1984
    Blondie1984 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I bring my lunch almost every day now : )

One of my favorites and you can freeze it so its very easy, is to make Fajitas. I just fry up chicken, green peppers, yellow peppers and onions. Then add in a package of Fajita mix and put in seperate bags for lunches. Of course heat them up the next day and put on a tortilla.

Or you could make 3 can rice just google - body for life 3 can chicken and rice - and take leftovers the next day.

Also make sure to have a few hand to go soups in your cupboard for lazy lunch days.

Hope this helps.
  • Claudia007
    Claudia007 Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I like boca meatless spicy chicken pattys. I chop one up and put it into some lettuce/spinach. Or, a wrap? You can use whole-wheat tortillas and put anything you like in them from turkey and cheese to chicken and corn. Also, I use hummus instead of mayo/mustard on a sandwich since I'm not a fan of either. good luck!
  • moxleymama6
    moxleymama6 Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    Hummus to dip vegetable strips, peanut butter to spread on the apple or banana, 18 almond in asnack size bag (I make thse up at the beginning of the week so they are grab n go. 2Tbsp raw sunflower seeds (mix in 8 60% cacao chips if I need a chocolate fix), plain Greek yogurt mixed with 1Tbsp of low sugar strawberry preserves my mil made last summer Yum!
    These are a few of my favorite things. For lunch!
  • joybell32
    joybell32 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    can of tuna and some salsa or a tsp of mayo or something. Also, buy some gordons fish and nuke it with some veggies for lunch. I do the tuna packets and pair with some veggies.

I'm also looking for ideas too!
  • larandac
    larandac Posts: 6
    Options
    I have a 3 section lunch container...I make a "delux sandwhich" by putting sliced tomotoe, onions, and lettuce in one compartment, my meat in another compartment, and bread and cheese in another. I usuallly start off by warming the meat up then melting the cheese and warming the bread at the same time...aftwards, adding the onions, tomatoes, and lettuce. I usually have it with baked lays, and sliced peaches or mixed berried (no added sugar) from Walmart. I'll pack a light and fit yogurt and granola bar just in case I get hungry before the end of the day...hope this helps!
  • sweetheart03622
    sweetheart03622 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    Cook some chicken on the weekends, shred it, and make a bunch of stuff with it. I usually do some with rice and black beans or with buffalo sauce (for a wrap)... the rice and beans I do the most, with some avocado and salsa, about 550 calories, so it's kind of high, but whenever I bring this I can't eat the rest of my food because I'm so full!
  • lmdurst
    lmdurst Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have been chopping up veggies - romaine lettuce, carrots, mushrooms, snap peas and any others that I might have around - and I keep it in a large tupperware container. In the morning I put some of the salad mixture in a 5cup tupperware container and mix with a can of either tuna or chicken to add protein. This is also moist enough that I don't need to add dressing. This plus 2 different kinds of fruit come with me - something crunchy like an apple and something moist & sweet like a mandarine orange or a container of watermelon.
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    I try to make a big batch of a new recipe on the weekends and keep it in my fridge for during the week. I use a lot of recipes from ohsheglows.com - this week I did Shepherd's pie.
  • carlybarley22
    carlybarley22 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I just made a phenomenal sandwich today. I made a mixture of one can of chickpeas, one 5 oz can of tuna, 1 tablespoon full fat mayo, 1 tablespoon of honey mustard, and one cup of chopped red peppers. I put about 2-3 tablespoons of that along with about a half cup of baby spinach and a couple tomato slices on one Arnold Sandwich Thins 100% whole wheat with flax seed (or whatever it's called haha) and it was absolutely delicious!
  • maconk22
    maconk22 Posts: 18
    Options
    There are quite a few good recipes on this site for lunch. It you go to the recipe log. My favorite is the buffalo chicken wrap. I love it (got the recipe off this site). Its very low in calories also!
  • herbalgirl011
    Options
    You can try shakes or bars. The key is to switch it up with food every now and then.

http://free2bclean.myshaklee.com/us/en/category.php?main_cat=WeightManagement

if you need more info let me know.. :0) good luck
  • dadsgirl87
    Options
    I take a turkey sandwich on whole wheat sandwich thins or a whole wheat, low fat, tortilla wrap.

I sometimes take a salad with chopped hardboiled egg, cucumber, and sunflower kernels. Topped with light dressing!
  • Charli666
    Charli666 Posts: 407
    Options
    i make whole wheat wraps a lot, anything you like in them, i usually go for salad with red onion and chicken. Soup is always a quick and easy one and if you have a microwave left-overs a great too! If you do have a microwave and find that you want more for lunch, you could always take a small potatoe in and bake it in the microwave, then add half a can of tuna, mixed with peppers, sweetcorn, cucumber, a tiny bit of black pepper, and a spray of vinegar, i love this!
  • lfcutie
    lfcutie Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    i am bad at lunch so this week i roasted a turkey breast and divided it into 3oz portions (90cal) and a tortilla (55cal) and made tacos with lettuce and salsa(i make my own) ...it gives a nice mix up instead of lean cuisine or salad everyday :)
  • LuRox
    LuRox Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Each Saturday I make a pound of dried beans and I bring 1 cup of beans everyday to eat. It's full of protein and fiber. I usually bring fruit to supplement that. Also, sliced turkey sausage is GREAT to add to the beans too! YUM!

I need to find the buffalo chicken wrap recipe...that's sounding yummy to me!