Cooking Popcorn

Options
I just bought white popcorn kernels. I dont have a popcorn machine so I figured I would just make it in a pot on the stove- Ive never done that before. The directions say to put oil in the pot but I was wondering if it can be made without using any oil-just putting the kernels in alone. Thanks.

Replies

• ryzola
    ryzola Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    A bit of virgin olive oil or canola oil wont hurt. Those are good, essential fats. However, I'd imagine they'd burn without a bit of oil?
  • PudgeMuffin200
    Options
    I don't have any oil- except vegetable oil.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I used to make popcorn in a kettle all the time when I was younger. :) Vegetable oil will definitely work. You do have to have some sort of oil in there or the kernels will just burn and not open. Follow the directions and don't skimp on the oil or you will probably not have good results. Don't add any butter, of course, since the oil is already there.
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Doesn't help right now but I recommend a hot air popper, got mine for under $20 new and use it quite often, now I might need to go to the bulk store and buy kernels though!
  • MrsWendyQ
    MrsWendyQ Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I read on a post on here a little while ago that if you put them in a brown paper bag w/ whatever seasoning you want and roll the bag down quite a few times, you can make yourself microwave popcorn without all the bad stuff. I've never tried it, but I've been meaning to. Love to know how it tuns out!
  • chilipeppers
    Options
    i make it without oil all the time, i think you just have to make sure you keep the kernels in constant motion or they will burn. It's a bit tricky, so you might have to do a few test runs, but it works for me really well! (it also helps to do it in a non-stick pot i think as well..)
  • danielleeeee
    Options
    I use a brown paper lunch bag and my microwave to cook popcorn. Put about 1/4 cup of popcorn in the bag and "seal" the bag by making two small folds (about 1/2 inch each). It takes around 3 minutes, but I just listen for the popping to slow down.

You don't need to put any fat in the bag, and if you fold it over it won't spill all over the microwave.
  • anzura
    anzura Posts: 171
    Options
    You can put the kernels in a paper lunch bag, fold it over to close, put a staple in it and pop it in the microwave. Yes, you can put a staple in the microwave.

^ ^ ^ ^
    great minds think alike :)
  • needamulligan
    needamulligan Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I use a brown paper lunch bag and my microwave to cook popcorn. Put about 1/4 cup of popcorn in the bag and "seal" the bag by making two small folds (about 1/2 inch each). It takes around 3 minutes, but I just listen for the popping to slow down.

You don't need to put any fat in the bag, and if you fold it over it won't spill all over the microwave.

was about to suggest the same thing! Thanks for saving me all that typing! My sister taught me to do this years ago and it really does work!
  • ryzola
    ryzola Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Might be worth investing in some olive oil too ;P
  • PudgeMuffin200
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the good ideas! Now if only I had brown paper bags! lol I never cook with oil so its not something I keep in stock around here. Wonder if theres another way to make in it the microwave since i have no brown bags- my son has a lunch box so i dont buy them lol. O well- if I must I will use a little of the vegetable oil for now because I am DEFINATELY having some popcorn tonite! lol
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    Popcorn tip: 1. Put the unpopped corn in a jar in the fridge. The refrigerated corn pops much fuller/bigger than warm corn.
    2. When popping in a pot on the stove use a large pot with lid, let the steam escape while popping. All you need is a nickle/quarter size dollop of oil, swish it around with either a brush or folded paper towel. Keep it moving when it starts popping vigerously.

Enjoy!
  • NewMe7
    NewMe7 Posts: 4
    Options
    I would invest in a hot air popper. VERY easy to use, easy clean up, and inexpensive! I got mine for $15. I've tired it on the stove without any type of oil or butter and it took a long time for the kernals to get hot enought to pop and they had a burned-ish smell, if that makes sense.
  • dadsgirl87
    Options
    Do these homemade popcorn options result in fewer calories than the microwave popcorn available at the stores? I am curious....if it is worth it to switch to one of these homemade methods!

Thanks! :happy:
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    The kernels in a paper bag would certainly come out less calories (less chemicals too) than the store bought microwave packs, you're not adding anything to it but your butter if you so choose afterwards or whatever spices you'll add, but you'd add those to microwave pack to wouldn't you? I know I did with the Salt & Vinegar flavour would add it to my popcorn either microwave or hot air popped but I seem to always burn microwave popcorn, so hotair it is for me, it pops and its out of the canister to your bowl so not overheating.
  • dadsgirl87
    Options
    Salt and Vinegar? I'll have to try that! Thanks for the information! :flowerforyou:
  • elainegsd
    elainegsd Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    The oil helps transfer the heat to the whole kernel, instead of focusing it on the bottom of each kernel where it is in contact with the pot.

It seems worth a try to use a heavy pan and shake the heck out of it while it is cooking without oil and see how it goes. You can get a workout at the same time.

Since hot air poppers don't use oil, the oil isn't essential for the popping action.