Road Vs Treadmill

Options
Good Evening (UK time :) )

On Saturday I am planning my first real road run, how much different to a treadmill is this?

I understand the floor wont move beneath me, so more of a push is needed and its not as padded... are there any other major differences?

Thanks

Replies

• Andrea1138
    Options
    You will love it! I feel like I run faster on the road, it feels easier for some reason, time goes by faster, maybe because of all the distractions of being outside.
  • sburt1
    sburt1 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I love running outside. I hate the treadmill!!!
  • sharesb
    sharesb Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Because where I live in Canada it is almost impossible to run outside in the winter and I was running the Las Vegas half marathon in December, I trained for an entire half marathon on a treadmill. The biggest difference from running that distance on the treadmill and then the road was the impact on my knees. I was soooo sore afterwards. I would suggest taking ibuprofen and having an ice bath when you are done your race to help with any swelling you may have.

Good luck with your race!! :flowerforyou:
  • ArchyJill
    ArchyJill Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    Go with what feels good and don't worry about speed. I always feel like I am running slower outside but in reality I run about 30 seconds/mile faster.
  • saldridge
    saldridge Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I just ran outside for the first time yesterday and I am sore in spots I was never sore at on the treadmill...does that make sense?
    I can feel my muscles in my thighs just above the knee on the right and left and some in my calves. I am running on the treadmill 5 to 6 times a week for 40 minutes.
  • emmaleigh47
    emmaleigh47 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    I hate running on a treadmill -- I love running outside.
    I would say plan on your knees and quads being just a little bit sorer because your stride will be a bit longer outside than on a treadmill.
  • philiphirons
    philiphirons Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys, I quite enjoy the treadmill madly enough

But cant wait to get started outside, due to time/weather I may not be able to run outside too much till the spring/summer so hope i dont enjoy it to much yet lol

:)
  • cami78
    cami78 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Don't forget the weather trying to run against the wind it sucks.Oh and the hills...it will take some time until your body will get use to it. Personally I prefer running outdoors on the treadmill I feel a bit like a hamster on the wheel.
    Good luck with your run!
  • erikblock
    erikblock Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    This is a very timely question for me, as I just ran 5 miles outside on Sunday, and I am freaking sore EVERYWHERE. I run on the treadmill or elliptical 3-4 times a week, and have been doing so for over a year, and I don't get sore at all anymore from those. But that road run was killer. It was fun, but be ready to be sore. :)
  • halejr23
    halejr23 Posts: 294
    Options
    The first couple of times you might be sore. My hip-flexor tightened up and my knees hurt after the first 3 - 5 runs outside. Concentrate on small quick steps as opposed to long strides. This will keep your knees "soft" and reduce the pounding on the knees. It feels weird at first but you will get used to it and your knees will thank you.
  • tgh1914
    tgh1914 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    Good Evening (UK time :) )

On Saturday I am planning my first real road run, how much different to a treadmill is this?

I understand the floor wont move beneath me, so more of a push is needed and its not as padded... are there any other major differences?

Thanks

It's funner, easier to let the mind wander
    Fresh air
    Less restrictive, when you want to adjust pace/speed
    I love outdoor running

Just try to find a good surface - not just concrete
  • DuneJunkie
    Options
    I love to run outside. Running on the treadmill takes talent. Once you find your pace its ok.
    I have found that on the treadmill I use, the manual says to use incline level 2 to best simulate road running.
    Though, it is impossible to simulate the weather conditions.
  • Amy_B
    Amy_B Posts: 2,323 Member
    Options
    Outside is MUCH better! If you do have to use a tready, I've read to set your incline to 1% and turn the fan on. A lot of people call it the "dreadmill" for a reason. :wink:
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    I like the road better as well. I think one of the main reasons for this is because when I am on a treadmill and I hear that little voice in my head telling me to stop for whatever reason, all I have to do is hit a button and step off. When I hear that voice on the road, I still have to go back to wherever it was that started, and I get more exercise that way even if I am just walking.

I can do more outside EASILY. I get crazy bored on a treadmill and don't like running on one more than 15-20 minutes. Running outside in a pretty neighborhood, I find that I am not even looking at the watch so much, so I can make a 45-60 minute run with no problem and not even realize that I was gone for that long.

I personally felt less issues running outside, but I believe that was because I used a really good insert in my shoes and drank more water. I have a camelbak that I use while running so I don't have to carry a bottle with me, and I stay hydrated the whole time. It's great.
  • Flyntiggr
    Flyntiggr Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    I've read that if you do treadmill runs at a 1% incline, it better simulates road running. Im in the middle of transitioning to outdoors as well, ad definitely have pacing issues right now. And like the other posters, have been much more sore after outdoor runs. My calves and hip flexors absolutely kill! Might wanna scale back to some walk/run intervals to get started.

Good luck!
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    The dreadmill is good when it's either too cold or too hot to run outdoors. I find that I have faster times outdoors simply because I don't have anything holding me back. I tend to run towards the front of the treadmill against the bar. It's said to be slightly harder to run outdoors, similar to having the treadmill set to 1% incline. Not sure if that's true, but either way running outdoors is much nicer.

Take advantage of it this spring because in the summer it's much too hot unless you're an early morning person.
  • philiphirons
    Options
    Did a test run today, just to see what its like, did 5km in 29m 30s a time i can never do on a treadmill and i had to stop for traffic once :)

Loved it, will still use a TM every now and again as i enjoy both!
  • marber
    marber Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I have yet to be brave enough to run outside. Its the hills that worry me and I live in a very hilly area. That and people seeing this body running!

I do about 4.3km in 30 mins on a treadmill.
  • fuzzymel
    fuzzymel Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I run 5k in 30minutes on the threadmill. I can barely run 1 minute on the roads. Something I really want to get better at.

Threadmill is easier but I really think there is more benefit road running.
  • philiphirons
    Options
    Im the opposite, i seem to be better on the road