30 day shred - level 3 - advice please

Options
I've done the level 3 workout twice now, and it goes without saying, it's bloody hard! I've never had problems with my knees but the "rock star" jump she does, I think in the last cardio section, worries me. I seem to land with a real jolt. Possibly I'm just not doing it right yet. Has it given anyone problems? Should I persevere? I'm thinking I'll substitute a different cardio move in at that point. What did you do?

Replies

• living_4_me
    Options
    My sister-in-law and I both have difficulty with the rockstar jump! I substitute it with a different cardio move (usually butt kicks or a plyometric move (skaters for example). If something doesn't feel right, I would think that substituting it with something that keeps your heart rate up is just fine. Don't they always say to listen to your body?
  • amandalc980
    amandalc980 Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    dont do it! I know, great advice right? No seriously, I felt just like you, it was rough on my knees. I did it twice and decided I didn't want to risk my most precious body part to those jumps. I just moved on to her other dvds.
  • WalkingGirl1985
    WalkingGirl1985 Posts: 2,047 Member
    Options
    I'm starting level 3 and need advice on this too..bunny hop one looks fun..ill try the rockstar one and if its too much maybe ill do the fun twist n jump one thats presented on level 2 or skaters..
  • wdwghettogirl
    wdwghettogirl Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    My sister-in-law and I both have difficulty with the rockstar jump! I substitute it with a different cardio move (usually butt kicks or a plyometric move (skaters for example). If something doesn't feel right, I would think that substituting it with something that keeps your heart rate up is just fine. Don't they always say to listen to your body?

They also say "As long as you just keep moving". I would think substituting would be just fine. I've only just started, so I'm only on level 1, but it's good to know what I have to "look forward" to. :)
  • AmpDesign
    Options
    I have done Level 3 for months and every move is butter at this point...except those damn rockstar jumps! I can't seem to perform it right and I also have real knee issues. I actually just sit out for each set and pick back up with the other move. That's probably not advisable, since you could easily find a better cardio move for you. Just so you know you're not the only one who hates them!
  • judyfurtado
    judyfurtado Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I can only manage to do 3 then I do the less impact ones.
  • feliciapeters
    Options
    whenever theres a cardio movie i cant do i jog in place with high knees & move my arms. sometimes i do a little "conga" around the livingroom
  • im2spooky4u
    im2spooky4u Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Only you know your body and what it can or can't do. For me, when I did level 3, I was still over 200 pounds. The rockstars were killer, but I stuck with it and by day ten I was doing them fully without problems. It was a very proud moment the first time I made it through them, even made me tear up a bit. You do what you know is right for you, just make sure what you are replacing it with is level 3 quality to keep the intensity of the workout. :-)
  • CharlieJuliette
    CharlieJuliette Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Good to know I'm not the only one who doesn't like them!
  • Robin1117
    Robin1117 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    I started level 3 initially in mid-February but then continued with it for another 2 weeks straight....and now probably still do it 2-3 times per week.

I love it-- it's not remotely easy, but I have become used to the strength the exercises provides and do not want it to go away so keep at it.

The rock star jumps initially were a killer to me but with time I have become better at it and can do all of them w/out keeling over. I'm sweating like crazy and my heart rate is through the roof though. The other ones that were a killer for me were the jump squats. I was falling all over the place for weeks and in the last few weeks started feeling comfortable with them.

My thought is if you give it time, and want to conquer these, it's doable. I personally couldn't master them in 10 days. Just go slow and at your own pace, and wait for your body to get used to the exercises--definitely don't hurt yourself. You may surprise yourself someday.