JUST CURIOUS...

Options
its seems that everyday i manage to go over both in protein and in sodium. im curious if anybody knows if this is bad. and if so, do u have any food ideas that are lower in protein and sodium. thanks!!

Replies

• sexygenius
    sexygenius Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    I dont count sodium, becuase im lazy and thats just too much for me to handle right now...but i do count my protien and i am perfectly okay with going over..unless you go over by a super crazy amount (then it's bad for you kidneys) there is nothing wrong with going over on protien
  • TiniTurtle
    TiniTurtle Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    going over in protein is a good thing :o) but sodium is hard to stay under & it isn't a big deal if you're getting in enough water so your body flushes it out, otherwise the excess sodium will make you bloat.
  • dawnhite7778
    Options
    Sodium is definitely bad. It will make you retain water.
  • JayAlexander
    JayAlexander Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    no need to lower protein. it helps keep you full and build muscles. as far as sodium, try to cut processed foods and drink lots of water.
  • missy1970eb
    missy1970eb Posts: 1,209 Member
    Options
    sodium is high in processed foods:smile:
  • Loko_Ino
    Loko_Ino Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    If you go over in protein by a lot it is ok but make sure you keep your water intake up.
    Sodium lends to retaining water, are you eating foods with high sodium? That is how my intake it.
    These logs are going off suggested intakes, as long as your BP is good I would not worry.
  • ki4idb
    ki4idb Posts: 114
    Options
    I have the same problem with the Sodium .... I have not figured out how to lower it yet ....
  • mishelnkiki
    mishelnkiki Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    If you go over in protein by a lot it is ok but make sure you keep your water intake up.
    Sodium lends to retaining water, are you eating foods with high sodium? That is how my intake it.
    These logs are going off suggested intakes, as long as your BP is good I would not worry.

Thanks!! my bp is good and i know they say sodium is high in processed foods, but i dont have much time to really eat anything else!! i figure as long as im staying under my cals carbs and fat then i should be ok. thanks for the advice!
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    Sodium will make you retain water... but it's also a culprit of high blood pressure. So while yea, for scale purposes you can drink your heart away and you won't be all bloated, I would try to control it.
    Missy hit the processed foods. Cheese, lunch meat, fat free cottage cheese... things people don't always think about.
    Protein is alright to go over ;)
  • mishelnkiki
    Options
    Sodium will make you retain water... but it's also a culprit of high blood pressure. So while yea, for scale purposes you can drink your heart away and you won't be all bloated, I would try to control it.
    Missy hit the processed foods. Cheese, lunch meat, fat free cottage cheese... things people don't always think about.
    Protein is alright to go over ;)

U JUST NAMED THE MAJORITY OF MY FOODS!! lol. see here i am thinking im doing something good, and its STILL bad for me. lol. fruit is high in sugar, cottage cheese (my fave) is high in sodium. if its not one its the other. lol.
  • JayAlexander
    JayAlexander Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    sugar from fruit is different then refined white sugar. your log will look like it's over on sugar from fruit but its not bad
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    MFP by default has protein set to 15% of your daily value. It's fine to increase it, mine is set to 30% of my calories for the day, that puts me where I want to be: 0.5 grams of protein per pound of body weight.

For sodium you may want to watch it, last week I gained a pound and looking back at that weeks sodium I had a 6000 mg day, a 4000 mg day and 2 days at 3000 mg. This week I lost 2 pounds from that gain and I was right around 2000mg on a daily basis. SO for me sodium has a noticeable effect on the scale.

Take ONE day a week and cook big batches of stuff, you control the ingredients, can have no added salt etc. Whenever I make pancakes I at least double the recipe and cook them all up, put the extras into portion sized baggies and freeze them. If it works for Eggo's it works for my home-made pancakes also. They only stay in the freezer for like a week or two tops, go in the toaster to heat just like Eggo and have had no problems. Mac & cheese freezes fine for short-term if you cook up a big batch. Homemade soup freezes just fine too, I use old yogurt containers to freeze my soup in they stack nicely in the freezer.
  • mishelnkiki
    Options
    MFP by default has protein set to 15% of your daily value. It's fine to increase it, mine is set to 30% of my calories for the day, that puts me where I want to be: 0.5 grams of protein per pound of body weight.

For sodium you may want to watch it, last week I gained a pound and looking back at that weeks sodium I had a 6000 mg day, a 4000 mg day and 2 days at 3000 mg. This week I lost 2 pounds from that gain and I was right around 2000mg on a daily basis. SO for me sodium has a noticeable effect on the scale.

Take ONE day a week and cook big batches of stuff, you control the ingredients, can have no added salt etc. Whenever I make pancakes I at least double the recipe and cook them all up, put the extras into portion sized baggies and freeze them. If it works for Eggo's it works for my home-made pancakes also. They only stay in the freezer for like a week or two tops, go in the toaster to heat just like Eggo and have had no problems. Mac & cheese freezes fine for short-term if you cook up a big batch. Homemade soup freezes just fine too, I use old yogurt containers to freeze my soup in they stack nicely in the freezer.

AWESOME ADVICE!!! i need to do this very badly as i am TERRIBLE at taking the time to cook. i literally live off lunch meat sandwiches, bars of every kind, fiber one, special k, nutrigrain, all which are very high in sugar. and lots and lots of fat free yogurt!!! i am soooo sick of my routine foods. i think this weekend i might just spend a whole day cooking! thanks!
  • Lisamariemlt
    Lisamariemlt Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    both are relevant when over weight---most diabetics think that eating protein is a healthy way to stabilize blood sugar==it does to a certain degree--but fiber is better
    blood pressure is a factor with sodium
    everyone needs both in proportion to their health--but over dosing isn't healthy----be cautious and drink the water to flush out the salt
    eat enough protein according to the health food guide
    staying aware of your intake is a good thing because as you get older the wiser you should be about high blood pressure and resting heart rate
    both can increase with high consumption of both protein and sodium
    hugs
  • harley0269
    harley0269 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    get into the habit of reading your food labels when you shop. you will be amazed!
    sodium is used as a preservative. :noway: example veggies: the steamables are high in sodium, but regular flash frozen veggies are not.
    i buy fresh veggies or the regular frozen veggies & then steam them myself (little or no sodium that way).
    stay away from any processed foods (meats, cheeses, box goods, even canned goods) . i still eat fish & meat, but its fresh or frozen naturally. canned tuna is my weakness, so when i indulge in that, i make sure i drink lots of water to flush it out of my system.
    believe it or not, i still manage to eat normal foods & im losing weight & inches!!!
    today i had a perfect day...
    breakfast : oatmeal (sometimes i add peanut butter for extra protein)
    lunch: spinach salad w/strawberries & almonds, & a tuna sandwich on wheat, & a pudding
    dinner: grilled tilapia & steamed stir fry veggies
    plus my 8 glasses of water. & i still have calories left to have popcorn for a snack tonight. :wink:
    so read your labels & you will be able to make better choices .
    good luck!! :flowerforyou:
  • ingy1990
    ingy1990 Posts: 22
    Options
    I believe it is hard to stay below sodium because if you are eating low fat or light foods to help stay within your calorie intake there is always more sodium in your food. They have to replace or make for flavor, sodium does that. I don't track my sodium, I just make sure I drink enough water. I am very new to MFP, but I am excited and looking forward to my new experience.
  • kristilovescake
    kristilovescake Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I agree with the general consensus that going over in protein is fine - the only thing that would probably cause an issue is adding more calories, but I never worry if I go over in protein.

I would definitely try to watch the sodium though and drink more water to compensate.

I've been eating a lot more natural (raw or home cooked) foods and I feel way better than when I eat tons of processed foods. If you have a magic bullet or similar, try some plain yogurt (dannon has a nonfat with no additives except gelatin I think) with berries and a banana have it in the fridge for a quick in-between snack or meal substitute. I've been bringing them to work for lunch and it's quick and easy. Or you could do a batch and put them in secure tupperware. Batch cooking is also a great idea. Or if you're in love with granola, you can make some at home and know exactly what's going into it (it's really the processed foods that's probably killing your sodium). Good luck!
  • mishelnkiki
    Options
    I agree with the general consensus that going over in protein is fine - the only thing that would probably cause an issue is adding more calories, but I never worry if I go over in protein.

I would definitely try to watch the sodium though and drink more water to compensate.

I've been eating a lot more natural (raw or home cooked) foods and I feel way better than when I eat tons of processed foods. If you have a magic bullet or similar, try some plain yogurt (dannon has a nonfat with no additives except gelatin I think) with berries and a banana have it in the fridge for a quick in-between snack or meal substitute. I've been bringing them to work for lunch and it's quick and easy. Or you could do a batch and put them in secure tupperware. Batch cooking is also a great idea. Or if you're in love with granola, you can make some at home and know exactly what's going into it (it's really the processed foods that's probably killing your sodium). Good luck!
    thanks for the great advice!! i now processed foods arent good for me, but i LOVE my lunch meat. maybe if i go to the deli and get fresh meat it wouldnt be so bad... and someone told me they now have a low fat low sodium cottage cheese... which i LOVE! Thanks again for the advice! greatly appreciated!!
  • mishelnkiki
    Options
    thanks to everyone for the amazing advice. the general concensus is... no more processed food which is my downfall!!! thanks for the time u all too to respond. appreciated greatly!!
  • Loko_Ino
    Loko_Ino Posts: 544 Member
    Options

thanks for the great advice!! i now processed foods arent good for me, but i LOVE my lunch meat. maybe if i go to the deli and get fresh meat it wouldnt be so bad... and someone told me they now have a low fat low sodium cottage cheese... which i LOVE! Thanks again for the advice! greatly appreciated!!

I use to have the same issue with lunch meat. I started to buy chicken and turkey and then cooking it on the weekends. That let me slice it to make my own "lunch" meat. Way less salt and loads better for you. All the processed stuff has nitrites in it...very bad for you http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sodium_nitrite