Skinny Tortilla Soup

Options
TracieJ65
TracieJ65 Posts: 645 Member
I guess there are some problems, with the site today, because my blog is not appearing on the news feed and some, from my friends list, are not seeing it at all. So, since it appears the message boards are working I thought I would post, here, what I posted on my blog because this was truly a delicious soup.

SKINNY TORTILLA SOUP is what is for dinner tonight and let me tell you that this is quite the comfort food with the blizzard that we have going on. This recipe comes from the Taste Of Home Light Everyday Meals cookbook.
Skinny Tortilla Soup

7 Servings
Prep/Total Time: 30 min

Ingredients

1 can (16 ounces) fat-free refried beans
1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
1 can (14-1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth
1-1/2 cups frozen corn
3/4 cup chunky salsa
3/4 cup cubed cooked chicken breast
1/2 cup water
2 cups (8 ounces) shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese, divided
28 tortilla chips, divided

Directions

In a large saucepan, combine the first seven ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Add 1 cup cheese; cook and stir over low heat until melted. Crumble half of the tortilla chips into soup bowls. Ladle soup over chips. Top each serving with two crumbled chips; sprinkle with remaining cheese.

Yield: 7 servings.

Nutritional Analysis: One serving (1 cup) equals 290 calories, 7 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 30 mg cholesterol, 987 mg sodium, 36 g carbohydrate, 9 g fiber, 23 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2-1/2 starch, 2 lean meat.

MY NOTES:
First I took four chicken breast tenderloins, cut them into bite size pieces, sprinked 2 teaspoons of Mrs. Dash Chipotle seasoning on them, and cooked them, in the same stock pot as the soup, until they were done.

Then you can add the other ingredients into the pan and go from there.

I found Bush's low sodium black beans so look for that, or something similar, to help cut down on the sodium levels.

As most of you know I used the Herb Ox No Sodium Chicken Bouillon, found where you find other chicken bouillon. This has no sodium. You would need two packets for this so make sure you make it ahead of time. I made it when the chicken was cooking and then set aside until I was ready for it. If you can not find the Herb Ox No Sodium Chicken Bouillon look for something low in sodium and then adjust that in your food diary.

I used Birds Eye baby white and gold frozen corn because it has a little bit of a sweet taste too it because it is baby corn. I really like this corn.

I have recently found Newmans Own Mild Chunky Salsa and I am using it like crazy. Two tablespoons are 10 calories and 65mg of sodium. Awesome! So, I used that.

I used Weight Watchers shredded Mexican four cheese blend. You can stay with the reduced fat cheese for the 1 cup that gets melted into the soup as it won't hurt the taste or texture. The weight watchers melted into the soup great. Then, if you want to "splurge" a little, top your soup with regular cheese but only use like 2 tablespoons.

Instead of using packaged tortilla chips I took Mission white small tortillas, cut them into 8 sections, each. I sprary a cookie sheet with a light spray of pam, with olive oil, cooking spray, put the tortilla triangles on the cookie sheet, and sprayed a light spray over the tortillas pieces. I then baked them in a 425 degree oven for 7 minutes. That will depend on your oven. Bake until crisp, 7-8 minutes. One tortilla is 55 calories and 5mg of sodium and makes 8 little triangles. That is plenty for one bowl of soup and lot healthier than the store bought chips.

Nutritional info for the same 1 cup of soup:
Calories=191 Carbs=26 Fat=3 Protien=17 Sodium=562 Fiber=6

Then, I put another 2 tablespoons of weight watchers cheese on the top of my bowl and used 1 Mission tortilla and it only added 90 calories and 100mg of sodium to my dinner. Nice! Still lower than the original recipe!

BON APPETIT!

Replies

• life1979_24
    life1979_24 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    sounds good, thanks
    bump for later
  • USAFwifey12
    USAFwifey12 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Another GREAT recipe! I can't wait to try it, tonight I'm doing Mexican Lasagna. I think I'm going to order some Herb Ox online because I can't find it in stores in my area and I think I'm going to be using it quite a bit. I found the Newman's Own Salsa when I went grocery shopping last weekend and was so excited lol, it's much better than any other brand I've seen. Thanks again Tracie!!!
  • TracieJ65
    TracieJ65 Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    You bet ellis_rn. This will be another terrific soup for you to make and have all week for lunches!

I really, really think you will see how much better the no sodium Herb Ox will be! Look at a low sodium chicken broth, in the store, and see how much sodium is in one serving and then think about how many servings that you would need for 2 cups which is about how much you usually need. Get a lot because you will most certainly use it.

The new mans own salsa is fantastic, isn't it? I mixed 1 tablespoon of it with one small can of chicken of the Sea low sodium tuna, over the weekend, and let me tell you that will be the only way that I make tuna now.

Let me know how the Mexican Lasagna turns out! I loved it and it was just as good several days later so yet something else you can take for lunches!

I am so glad that my recipe blog is benefiting you! That was my plan, when I began it, to try to help give ideas for people to cook more at home.
  • deannarey13
    deannarey13 Posts: 452
    Options
    Definitely bumping for later! This looks delish!
  • Yemaya1129
    Options
    This sounds amazing. I'm definitely going to have to try this out.
  • corgant715
    corgant715 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Sounds awesome! Bumping for later!
  • spackham
    spackham Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    This is SO GOOD you don't even need or miss the cheese!