Stir Fry Questions...

Athena413
Athena413 Posts: 1,709 Member
edited September 25 in Food and Nutrition
Anybody know anything about seasoning a wok? I got one for Christmas but have continued to make stir fry in a pan because I never seasoned my wok. I just want to make sure I'm doing it right before I tear up my pan!!

Replies

• __flexylexi
    __flexylexi Posts: 154 Member
    seasoning a wok...? I have never heard of that term... I am chinese and my mom just.. you know... puts sesame oil, whatever seasoning and the meat, and stir stir stir with chopsticks!!!
  • Larry7995
    Larry7995 Posts: 55
    I ended up just getting a stainless frying pan and I stir fry in that using extra virgin olive oil and whatever veggies I have on hand and meat, have a smallish one for just me and a bigger one for company
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    seasoning a wok...? I have never heard of that term... I am chinese and my mom just.. you know... puts sesame oil, whatever seasoning and the meat, and stir stir stir with chopsticks!!!

I am not Chinese, but this is what I was thinking as well. I prefer sesame oil to olive oil when cooking in a wok, too, but I guess that's just personal preference.
  • MelissaL582
    MelissaL582 Posts: 1,422 Member
    When it comes to stir-fry..put a small amount of veggie oil and coat the pan with it.
  • kadye
    kadye Posts: 136 Member
    When you get a new cast iron skillet you have to season it. Maybe it's the same. You coat it in oil and then bake it in the oven to get the non-stick surface. After that, you do not wash with soap, only wipe it clean with water. There are specific directions if you google it.
  • 3LittleMonkeys
    3LittleMonkeys Posts: 373 Member
    First what is the wok made of? That will determine how it is seasoned.

I just bought a wok from The Wok Shop in San Francisco. I got a Chinese Cast Iron Wok. This is the video on how to season.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNPe5-swL-k
  • 3LittleMonkeys

She isn't talking about how to make a stir fry. She wants to how to season her wok pan pan for the first time. Your Mom had to of seasoned her pan when she first got it.
  • Athena413
    Thanks, all. I googled it some, too, and it is a lot like seasoning a cast iron skillet. You can bake it for an hour, but since it's rounded the oil tends to pool in the bottom...so it looks like I'm just supposed to get it really hot and smear it with oil a few times until it turns dark-ish and then it should be okay to cook with. We'll see! (if I totally screwed it up, at least it was only $14!)
  • 3LittleMonkeys
    I love my new cast iron wok. I am going to get a small one for outside to use on our side burner (on our grill).
  • stisul
    stisul Posts: 2 Member
    I bought a carbon steel wok and when I first got it I put it on very high heat. The wok turned blue and I turned down the heat, added some oil and heated it for 10 minutes. I wiped the blacked oil out and added new oil, repeated a few times until no black residue came out.

Just google and you can find some sites that show you how. Good luck.
  • Athena413
    I must have done something right because my stir fry turned out AWESOME! :happy:
  • 3LittleMonkeys
    Yeah!
This discussion has been closed.