Charting Exercis

Options
Hi

I am a fairly new member here. Love the way we can track food intake, nutrient intake, and exercise/ calories burned. Is there a way to know - even approximately - how many calories one burns doing strength training. I use the machines at the gym - am keeping track of reps/weight - but have absolultely no idea how many additional calories I am burning.

My cardio workouts genereally burn a minimum of 375 calories, often 400. I am trying to not over or UNDER eat, based on what I burn in each day. Just wondering how to figure what the machine workouts burn.

Grateful for any enlightenment.

:) Laurie

Replies

• harley0269
    harley0269 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    bump
  • paulagabay
    Options
    the best way to chart you exercise is to use a heart rate monitor for everything.
  • Lauriee2014
    Lauriee2014 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Exercis"e" ... oops!
  • adhillman01
    Options
    You can pick the "strength training" under cardio exercise, put in the time you did it and it will approximate how many calories you burned. It is usually pretty low for me and I'm not sure how accurate it is.
  • cris12
    cris12 Posts: 90
    Options
    I have the same question... and also lack a heart rate monitor.
  • Lauriee2014
    Options
    On April 8th I will have been at my gym for a year [average 6 nights per week]. I am rewarding myself with a Heart Rate Monitor. [I've wanted one forever, though only recently learned how very helpful they can be.] I look forward to knowing more accurately what I've burned. :flowerforyou:

PS What is the "bump" people do on here? What does it mean?
  • ukq727
    ukq727 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Lauriee2011 I was wondering the same thing (this bump thing)
  • nomex
    nomex Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    "bump" is just a way of making a comment on the thread so that it shows up in "my topics" and is easier to locate when you want to come back to it. MFP doesn't notify you when someone else has responded in the thread, so you have to follow it back. If you have not contributed to the conversation, it can be hard to find.

So bump, is basically saying I am interested in what others have to say here, and I want to come back and read this thread again later. MAKE sense?

I didn't understand bump when I first started on this sight. I was not familiar with the term AT ALL!
  • Lauriee2014
    Options
    Thank you ! Yes that makes sense! It is odd that it doesn't tell you when someone responds. I often forget to go back. So it's kind of like a "bookmark" or sorts. I will have to remember to "bookmark" for the future!

Laurie :flowerforyou:
  • mizfit
    mizfit Posts: 118
    Options
    Hi

As stated before the best way to know how many calories you are burning is with a heart rate monitor. Make sure you get one with a chest strap to get a more accurate read. The most popular brand is polar. I have a timex with the chest strap and it's great.