INSANITY vs. P90X

Options
For those who have completed both INSANITY and P90X....

How do they compare? Is one easier/harder than the other? How so?

What body changes did you achieve one one plan, that you didn't get on the other?

Thanks!!

(ETA: I am currently more than halfway through INSANITY, and plan to do P90X next.)

Replies

• rachyrach1234
    Options
    Good Question...
  • sweetsarahj
    sweetsarahj Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I'm interested to see people's comments! I haven't tried either, but a friend of mine did p90x and she got great results.
  • EmilyJ1979
    EmilyJ1979 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    bump
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    P90X is geared more for getting ripped and has a more strength training focus than Insanity. Insanity does some strength training (body weight exercises) but its main focus is on cardio conditioning.
  • jermaineqjw
    Options
    They are totally different. Insanity is exactly what it says. A lot of heart pumping Cardio,Plyo & strength building. P90x is awesome as well it is more strength building using push and pull exercises. P90X has cardio dvd's as well. You have to decide if you want more cardio(insanity) or strength(p90x) both will help you get in shape just different ways.
  • apasel
    apasel Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Both are physically intense! The main difference I could tell was P90X takes up way more of your time. Most of the videos are 45 min to 1.5 hours and it has you doing 2-3 a day! Insanity packs all of that exercise into about 45 min a day total. Granted the intensity of the workouts is, well.....insane.
  • Angel1029
    Angel1029 Posts: 459
    Options
    I have done both and they are both hard on 2 totally different levels

I did P90X first and it is a strength training workout, a lot of lifting, pull-ups and push-ups. I lost over 20 pounds and got awesome results.

I did Insanity right after P90X and I didn't lose any weight but my body got a lot tighter. Insanity is Interval Training, you don't need equipment but you need a lot of will power.

P90X has helped me with my strength and Insanity enabled me to have my heart rate up without feeling like I'm going to pass out.

Just wanted to keep it short and sweet, I know you'll get other responses.
  • ahkunkel
    ahkunkel Posts: 68
    Options
    Insanity- Hardcore cardio. Tons of jumping. I couldn't get through a single session without throwing up (its just how my body reacts when I do cardio). If you want to burn calories and get your cardio in while toning up your entire body, this is your program. But just know that it is very difficult, even on the "easy" days.

P90x- strength training with a few cardio aspects. It is still very difficult, but you are focusing on each specific part of your body with each video. If you want to tone and strengthen then I would use p90x. Not many people see significant weight loss with this program but they do see definition.

For me personally, Insanity was just too difficult for the level that I am at now. P90x has a cardio session that I would do frequently because it is cardio (duh) but it isn't as intense as Insanity (for instance, I didn't vomit while doing it :)). So I think it all depends on what you are looking for with your workout.
  • Maryse70
    Maryse70 Posts: 1
    Options
    My hubby did P90X for about three months...in less than a month we saw dramatic results. The problem we've found with P90X is sustainability, the workouts are so intense that the moment you slip off the wagon you see it fairly quickly. He travels very often for work, almost weekly, so doing P90X on the road is near impossible. It seems to be a program where you have to have the time to commit to it so that you are able to remain on track. My hubby was able to put in the time since he had been unemployed but the moment he started his new job, which requires 85% travel, P90X went out the window, and so did everything he worked so hard to achieve. It's a great program though, you'll get great results, just as long as you are able to really commit to it.
  • FitPhysique
    FitPhysique Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I'm on my 12th week of P90X and My first week of Insanity. Very different programs like many have mentioned. P90x is mostly strength training with a couple of days of cardio. Insanity is just crazy high intensity cardio and Calisthetics etc I have to take longer water breaks... minute long one and had to pause it a couple of times to catch my breath but it's awesome. It depends what you are looking to do. I've gotten great results with P90X and I know I will get awesome results with Insanity too.

Personally P90X is a lot easier than Insanity but longer committment phase and workout wise. 13 weeks and 45-90mins/workout Insanity 60 days and 45 minutes or less/workout. A beginner can start with P90X not Insanity.
  • therobinator
    therobinator Posts: 832 Member
    Options
    I am currently more than halfway through INSANITY, and an planning to do P90X afterwards. I guess I was just looking to find out what people who have already finished both think as far as which one is easier to do, physically? I know the time is a bigger committment with P90X. But, when I switch to P90X from finishing INSANITY, am I going to be like "wow this easy in comparison?"
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I am currently more than halfway through INSANITY, and an planning to do P90X afterwards. I guess I was just looking to find out what people who have already finished both think as far as which one is easier to do, physically? I know the time is a bigger committment with P90X. But, when I switch to P90X from finishing INSANITY, am I going to be like "wow this easy in comparison?"

No you will not find P90X easy after Insanity as you will be doing a lot more strength training on muscles that were not even worked during Insanity. That being said you may find the cardio workouts in P90X easy after doing insanity, but these workouts are only 2 days a week.
    A lot of people to a hybrid of the 2. Follow the P90X schedule but instead of the P90X cardio, substitute in the Insanity workouts.
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I did P90X first, which I thought would prepare me for Insanity :) boy was I kidding myself. BUT, then again, I think it did, I am way better at push ups then I would have been and physically in good shape to start. I built much strength on P90X and have lost more body fat % on Insanity.

I miss the 1 hour workouts of P90X and often switch back to add in extra time, I do P90X Plus after my Insanity workout to get the full hour in on most days. On my Rest Day, I do P90X Yoga, and on my Cardio Recovery, I do X Stretch too. I did buy the Deluxe Insanity Set to get the Upper Body strength training in, which I missed from P90X. I just go it this week and am in my recovery week so haven' tried it. It was suggested I do it in the PM, as I do my Insanity workout in the AM.

I have taken more than 2:00 MPM off my 5K time and 1:30 off my 10K time with these programs. I think the results were initially from P90X, but totally feel prepared even though I'm only running minimally during the Insanity program so I don't overtrain.