Can I get the low down on Greek yogurt?

Options
krislshoe
krislshoe Posts: 459 Member
Just wondering about Greek yogurt...I love it but it is 160 calories and everyone I tell to try it says its too many calories and they dont want to eat that many calories in a container of yogurt......it keeps me full when I have it with a piece of fruit for lunch.......any advice?

Replies

• JesaGrace
    JesaGrace Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    I've never tried it but its seems like people use it for a variety of different things...
  • clgray73
    clgray73 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    It has alot more protein than regular yogurt which makes you feel full longer. I had some this morning! Yummo!
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    It is a great food to eat. High in protein, that is why it keeps you full, and so very versatile. The issue is not how many calories in a serving, but how useful those calories are. You need protein and this is a low fat way to get it. 160 a serving doesn't seem that much when you really consider it. A similar size serving of many other foods that will not keep you full as well as Greek yogurt will have many more. Eating it is making a wise healthy choice, if people disagree it is their loss, not yours. All you stand to lose is the fat you want to get rid of.
  • ktanderson05
    ktanderson05 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Yeah I like it cuz it has 10g of protein and I had dannon kind the other day and it had 120cals, which I think is amazing! I never tried it until recently and I love it, its amazing!
  • alucard75
    alucard75 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I eat it every day, It is full of protein and all the good bactria your body needs. The brand I eat is Chobani and it has about 140 cal, the protein helps me stay full.
  • jgerbe2
    jgerbe2 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I say keep eating it. My favorite is Chobani. It has so much extra protein in it and it is low fat. If it keeps you full and you are not going over your calories, what's the problem?
  • clohessy
    clohessy Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    Athenos Brand Greek Yogurt is only 100 calories .
  • Nomoreplus_sizes
    Nomoreplus_sizes Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    What about Fage 0. I believe 6 oz has 90 calories, no fat and about 15g of protein. I'd like to see regular yogurt do that!
  • Nikkerz620
    Nikkerz620 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I love it. I don't think I'll buy regular yogurt again. It keeps me fuller unlike regular stuff. :)
    They have smaller containers now that are only 100 calories.

I recommend it all the time.

Try it, and I agree it's worth the calories.
    One container with some fruit for breakfast and your set! :)
  • jrlitt76
    jrlitt76 Posts: 52
    Options
    so what is the difference between greek yogurt and refular yougurt? is it just the protein content?
  • epj78
    epj78 Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    I love it too - high in protein. Chobani is also my favorite. If it keeps you fill, and you end up the day within calories -- what is the problem? I love the boost of protein it gives me and 140 calories for a snack isn't bad at all!!
  • sexygenius
    sexygenius Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    its super concentrated yogurt, it has twice the protien and is super thick and amazing, its well worth the extra 50 calories for me, it's decadent and amazing, its like cheese cake
  • brendar
    brendar Posts: 11
    Options
    I usually eat 1/2 cup with fresh fruit for breakfast, and the high protien count keeps me satisfied for a long time, with the added bonus of calcium...I buy plain and add a splenda packet into it to sweeten it...just tried vanilla flavoured splenda sweetener and it was delicious!!
  • Candiceg13
    Candiceg13 Posts: 218
    Options
    I have only tried the Dannon kind w/fruit on the bottom.... I was not thrilled... I mean its okay, def edible, but was not making me hurry to the store to buy more.... I will probably eat it 1 or 2x a week, with some lowfat granola mixed in..... I like the Special K granola!
  • shannonshock13
    shannonshock13 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I love Fage or pretty much any non fat greek yogurt!!
  • shakemybooty
    shakemybooty Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    its super concentrated yogurt, it has twice the protien and is super thick and amazing, its well worth the extra 50 calories for me, it's decadent and amazing, its like cheese cake

Which kind do you like? I only tried it once and it was NASTY making me afraid to try another one. Seriously...this one was horrid!
  • ngr1973
    ngr1973 Posts: 334
    Options
    You simply have to try it and you'll fall in love. Greek Yogurt (and there are many brands that offer 0% fat and are lower in calories) is so rich and creamy- I eat it most mornings for breakfast because the extra protein keeps me full for longer than any other breakfast I have so I start the day off on a good note.

Sometimes when I'm dying for something sweet and creamy (i.e. - ice cream) I have Greek Yogurt instead and honestly, its an awesome substitute.

My go-to brand is Dannon Greek Nonfat is my go-to brand because of price and calorie count

BUT I recently discovered Fage Greek Nonfat with the fruit in a little side cup at Target and OMG its AMAZING!!! Hard to believe but its even richer and more decadent. The blueberry-acai and the peach are my favorite.

Good luck... have one and fall in love!
  • raelynnjordan
    raelynnjordan Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt is sooo much better than regular yogurt! And I buy Oikos which only has 90 calories and 10 grams of protein!!! Its the best one I feel like because I'm still getting double the protein than what's in regular light/nonfat yogurt and only 10 more calories. I get the strawberry kind. And its organic, too.
  • BrownEyedG1rl
    BrownEyedG1rl Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I've been buying the Chobani non-fat plain yogurt and just adding a packet of splenda to it and a pack of 100 calorie almonds/walnuts or a little bit of kashi cereal. It's one of my favorite things to eat! If you buy plain and add your own fruit, etc into it, it may be less calories. But I eat it because of the protein! LOVE it!
  • ybba12490
    ybba12490 Posts: 252
    Options
    Chobani is sooo good! The blueberry kind is my favorite. I love the feeling that I'm eating decent yogurt without dyes or chemicals AND its helping me with weight loss