trying to get up earl, but don't

Options
Im trying to get up early (5:30am) in the morning to work out. But it sounds good until morning comes and then i don't get up. I just get so mad at myself .. any ideas?

Replies

• Butterflygalmel
    Options
    It must be the name, I try to and it hasn't worked for me. From a fellow Melissa. :)
  • drog2323
    drog2323 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    think about why you want to get up and hit the workout. your reasons.

blast the alarm.
    toss yourself out of bed
    have coffee or tea ready and waiting for you

how about starting 3 times a week. or twice a week. once you get up a few times, it will get easier.
  • bachooka
    bachooka Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    I want to do this too! wanna add me and encourage each other??
  • standarddancinggirl
    standarddancinggirl Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I wake up at 5 AM for work every morning and getting out of bed is the hardest part. But once i am out of bed i flip on all the lights and turn on some music and then it doesn't feel so early in the morning anymore. Much easier. :)
  • CassieLEO
    CassieLEO Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    What about doing your exercise later? Like after work?
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    1) Try waking up but not working out to assimilate yourself to the time in the morning.

2) Sleep in your workout clothes -- Idk why it feels like such a project to change into workout clothes in the AM but for somereason sleeping in my workout clothes and knowing I don't have to take off any of my layers before going out just makes it so, so much easier to do.
  • BeLightYear
    BeLightYear Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    Just do it! Look at it the same way you do your job, you wouldn't skip going there would you? When the alarm goes off, get up before you can talk yourself out of it.

Best of luck!:flowerforyou:
  • catysthename
    catysthename Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    What i do when i don't want to get out of bed is, get a warm towel and lay it over your face, especially eyes, for awhile. Drink a glass of orange juice, all while you're laying in bed. I do all those things and I'm ready for the day!
  • francis1425
    francis1425 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I started getting up at 4:30 in the morning to do my workout about 4 weeks ago, I started because I work full time, have 2 little girls and my husband is also working out, so my motiviation to get up in the morning is knowing that I will be done for the day, no one notices I am gone and I will have my nights with the girls. I have the coffee pot and my water bottle ready the night before, lay out my clothes and moved the alarm across the room, this way I have to get out of bed to hit it. It sucks getting up, but it feels awesome when I am done.
  • rharris86dc
    rharris86dc Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    I also have this same problem. It's hard enough for me to get up at 7 am to get to my 9 am class on time, let alone wake up earlier and actually DO something active and break a sweat, lol.

But I read an article that had some easy tips to helping make yourself get up early/on time. Number 1 was to turn a light on right away, especially if it is still dark outside when the alarm goes off. It's supposed to simulate the sun, or something. So either start with a bedside lamp, or if you're like me, turn on the big ceiling light that shines in your eyes and makes it impossible to go back to sleep. A few others: Set out your things the night before, so you know your workout gear is ready, and it's just waiting for you to put it on; Have your breakfast set out as much as possible, too, so you can go right to it for a little "boost" of energy.

I can't remember all of them, but those are the ones that stuck with me, and I've been trying them out little by little. Good luck!
  • ShelleyBowman
    ShelleyBowman Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Boy do I feel your pain! I have the best intentions as well but come morning I'm all snuggly comfy and that's all she wrote... before you know it, I'm out like a lite. A couple of suggestions that worked for me...
    1) Put your alarm clock across the room where you must get out of bed to turn it off.
    2) Make your bed right away so you won't be as tempted to get back in bed
    3) Start it out in 15 minute increments... If you normally get up at 9am, tomorrow get up at 845am... that way you can ease yourself into it.
    4) If need be, go to bed a bit earlier as well.
    5) Find an accountability buddy... someone who you know will be up early and online waiting for you to "check in" at a certain time.
    6) Find little rewards for yourself. If you get up early, on your schedule, do a little something fun.

Best wishes & let us know how you make out!
  • lnosgood
    lnosgood Posts: 92
    Options
    I tried the early thing and it didn't work too well for me. So now i just go between my 2 shifts at work and get my workout in at that time. Some people aren't morning people (I am definitely not a morning person) you may just want to find a different time that works for your schedule to work out (i.e. Lunch breaks, after work, before bed, etc)
  • learning2fly4
    learning2fly4 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Totally the same way, I am also a habitual snooze button user, so my solution was to set the alarm at 5am instead of 530 when i actually want to be awake.
    I basically trick myself into thinking im getting 30 minutes more of sleep by using the snooze button to 530. Not the most efficient, but by the time i hit the snooze for the 4th time, im almost fully awake.
  • mandadchs
    Options
    So good news!!! I am 100% proof that lack of wanting to get up early in the morning is beatable!

I am in the military and my job makes me be at work at 6am.... Well... I just bought a puppy and boy o boy! She I swear is like having a child... So not only for me did I want to start waking up earlier (puffy eyes are not too cute in the morning) but I also had to let my dog get energy out before going in the kennel for 10 hours. I finally had a reason to get up and make sure I was getting moving. Now she gets her energy out by going for a jog in the morning with me, and I get my workout in(@ 3am!!)...

I'm not saying go buy a dog!! =) But find another reason for getting up in the morning other than working out. And just think of it as you starting your day earlier... It will be exhausting the first morning but I am pretty sure you will be ready for bed about 8pm... then you're just on a new schedule than everyone else.

That great workout high you get after you work out is the best and it puts you on a whole new level the entire day... the peace of mind that you have knowing when you get off work, you're done for the day... you don't HAVE to drag yourself to the gym... It's the BEST!
  • catherinern
    Options
    I sleep in my workout gear too. and set the coffee maker so that my coffee is ready. Put my running shoes besdie the bed. It does make it a little easier to start the day at such an early hour.. I aslo am always glad I did it. !!
  • Sarahr73
    Sarahr73 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    1) Try waking up but not working out to assimilate yourself to the time in the morning.

2) Sleep in your workout clothes -- Idk why it feels like such a project to change into workout clothes in the AM but for somereason sleeping in my workout clothes and knowing I don't have to take off any of my layers before going out just makes it so, so much easier to do.

I like the first idea best. It takes 14 days to create a habit, so if you get up and don't make exercise a priority you might be able to develop a habit and then add in exercise.
    I know where you're coming from though. I have tried this and failed many times. Me and sleep are best friends, I just can't give up that wonderful morning sleep time. But, my willpower sucks when it comes to getting up early. I'll be rooting for you!
  • mvonk1016
    mvonk1016 Posts: 19
    Options
    One thing that helps me, is setting the alarm clock 5-10 min earlier than I plan on getting up, and when it goes off I turn the light next to my bed on. I hate turning the light on when I have been asleep, so this helps my eyes ajust and gives me a few miniutes to strech out in bed, before my second alarm goes off, when i really need to get up.

On the name thing, it very well could be a Melissa thing, for I am one and I dont like getting out of bed untill the sun is shining though my window. However once I do get up and go work out, I feel great!!

Good Luck
  • salad37
    salad37 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    lol, i intend to do this, i like the fact i have the work out done and dusted for the day and i can do what i never get the chance to do such as catch up with frinds, have you tried caffeine tablets, not only do they wake you up but they give you a burst of energy to get up and do something, i always use these when training, (but never late in the day as they will keep you up, 0 xx
  • BeLightYear
    BeLightYear Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    my motiviation to get up in the morning is knowing that I will be done for the day,
    exactly!
  • Melissaol
    Melissaol Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the ideas.
    I also do my cardio workout at night.