weight on a rollercoaster

Options
I weight my self everyday around the same time right after i excercise, i have noticed my weight spikes up around 4-5 lbs before i drop weight. for instance i was at 222 then i spiked to 226 the the next day went to 218 then my wieght will hold for a few days before another spike up then down. its done this on a regular basis. i was down at 216 on monday today i'm at 220. is this normal?

Replies

• spammyanna
    spammyanna Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    I weight my self everyday around the same time right after i excercise, i have noticed my weight spikes up around 4-5 lbs before i drop weight. for instance i was at 222 then i spiked to 226 the the next day went to 218 then my wieght will hold for a few days before another spike up then down. its done this on a regular basis. i was down at 216 on monday today i'm at 220. is this normal?

I'm curious about this too, as it also happens to me.
  • tam120
    tam120 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    It's normal, this is why you should only weigh yourself once a week on the same day at the same time of day.
  • beccala18
    beccala18 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Every day is a bit different for me too. That's why I only record it one day a week and that is always the same day. Some days your body will hold on to more water, or something you ate that day or did that day will affect what your body is doing.
  • ITSSODAMNHOT
    ITSSODAMNHOT Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    You are really not suppose to weigh yourself everyday. You weight can and will fluctuate throughout the week depending on what you eat and your activity. Try once a week. But remember to log your activity and what you eat. You'll learn what works and what doesn't, what's good/bad, etc.

Good luck!
  • lalawitheca
    Options
    Weighing yourself after you exercise can through things off. You may lose weight due to de-hydration some days and others not. I would suggest weighing yourself first thing in the morning instead.
  • Jessica_Lo
    Jessica_Lo Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Try to weigh yourself in the morning first thing after you pee preferrably naked.

When I work out I drink a ton of water so all that is in me....even though I'm sweating so after a workout I'm up a pound or two from the water alone. I've tested before an after and believe me it makes a difference.

Also, since I'm out of control with weighing myself so I keep track of it in my planner on a daily basis and I can tell now what days I spike and also if I've gone #2. I know TMI but I don't go everyday and this makes a huge difference.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    Exercise can cause temporary water retention. I would weigh after that. Best time to weight is in the morning after you wake up and go to the bathroom. So what you could be seeing is a jump due to water and then your body releases that water and your weight drops.

I weigh every morning and have learned my fluctuation patterns. There can be fluctuations of 5 pounds on a daily basis.

I just started heavy weight lifting (from P90X) and my weight has been up 3 pounds (went up overnight) since so I am trying to push the scale aside right now.
  • sippy01
    sippy01 Posts: 20
    Options
    It has to do with water retention and sodium(salt intake) IF you have to weigh yourself everyday, write it down every day and on the seventh day add them up and and divide it by 7 and it will give you how much you really lost or gained. I think I said that right!! LOL Our weight goes up and down everyday!!!