• parkygirl
    parkygirl Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    The following items are always on my grocery hit list:

Orowheat Sandwich Thins
    Pacific Foods Creamy Tomato Soup (YUM!)
    Skinny Cow Truffle bars
    Special K Sour Cream and Onion crackers
    Kind Bars (next to the Luna bars - Dark Chocolate and Cherry is to die for!)
    artichoke hearts and lemons to dress up tuna fish
    Healthy Choice Steamer lunches

Now I am hungry!
  • kimmberry
    kimmberry Posts: 14
    Options
    If you don't know what to do with the greek yogurt...my fav breakfast or snack is the unsweetened greek yogurt with honey and granola! YUMMMM! You can also add some fresh berries or other fruits!

Tzatziki Sauce is AMAZING also made with greek yogurt
  • leslielove
    leslielove Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    There is way too much sugar, processed and otherwise, on that list. Axe the granola bars, the sweetened yogurt, the sweetened oatmeal. More leafy vegetables, more protein.
  • tlaker
    tlaker Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    since you like the brown sugar oatmeal...try the LOW SUGAR packets in that flavor...much less sugar and calories per packet so i usually do 1 1/2 packets with blueberries! it tastes exactly the same. your lists sounds identical to mine with a few added that i'd like to try!!
  • srp2011
    srp2011 Posts: 1,829 Member
    Options
    Wow - everybody has such great ideas! I second (or third or fourth) the suggestions for hummus, rice cakes, Wasa crackers (the toasted sesame seed ones are great!) and salsa. Also, any of the skinny cow ice cream snacks are delicious - and try the all-fruit ice bars - very low cal and a real treat in the summer. Also, lite microwave popcorn - I love the 100 calorie single serve packs. Also, if you can, go with fresh or frozen fruits and vegetables, rather than canned - they retain more of their nutrients that way.
  • tinalina81
    Options
    you should put peanut butter on that list
  • reikimastertchr
    Options
    I only wish I could get half of that list.... but due to Type 2 Diabetes and the fact that My disabled daughter is doing this along with me and cannot have any artificial sweeteners..we are quite limited to what we bring in the house. Any artificial sweeteners cause an immediate GranMal Seizure in her..so I do not permit it in the house, nor do I choose to ingest it. We do however use Stevia which tastes really good when a little sweetening is necessary.. Myself, I need to watch carbs and sugars.... so my shopping has begun to take hours... just reading and re-reading labels as many items have begun adding in artificial sweeteners... Our list consists of LOTS of Fresh Vegetables and Fruits, Fish, Yoplait Yogurt, Sour Cream and Onion Cracker Chips and Fiber Plus Chocoloate Chip Bars (Both YUMMY and needed for us to stay on course... to snack on)....90% ground beef to grill once a week... Cottage Cheese, Pita Bread, Unsalted All-Natural Peanut Butter, LOTS of Bnls Chicken Tenders, Red Beans, Oatmeal and Gluten Free Eco Planet Hot Cereal, Twinings Green Tea, and Tons of Organic BlueBerries... Hope this helps and if ANYONE has any ideas to help us vary our menu... We Welcome ANY and ALL ideas.... Thanks and BLESSINGS to ALL on this Healthful Journey..
  • nisijam5
    nisijam5 Posts: 10,390 Member
    Options
    Try Chobani yogurt instead of Yoplait...
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    Cottage cheese
    milk
    diced tomatoes ,
    frozen veggies
    4 beans mix
    eggs
    almonds
    oats
    drinking choc
    natural peanut butter
    tuna
    tuna small cans
    chicken
    kangaroo
    frozen berries

That's my regular list :)
  • ybba12490
    ybba12490 Posts: 252
    Options
    I don't like processed oatmeal in the packets (heard its bad for you, but you could be eating worse..) so I buy the plain oats in the can. Then I add some skippy natural peanut butter and a packet of splenda or a pinch of cinnamon and its DElicious! Or you could buy the weight control oatmeal. I would suggest focusing more on greens. Try eating popcorn you pop yourself with no butter or salt. You buy the kernals and pop it in canola oil... it actually has a wonderful taste and I prefer it to buttery processed popcorn in the package. I would suggest berries like raspberries, blueberries, strawberries for making smoothies! whole wheat english muffins, margarine instead of butter, guacamole, black beans, salsa, 100% cranberry juice with no sugar, green tea bags
  • EHuntRN
    EHuntRN Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    What meat are you eating...all I see is chicken...I eat chicken,fish,turkey,lean pork and having beef chuck roast tonite...always with some fresh /frozen veggies and small amount of carbs(brown rice, boiled/baked potatoe, sweet potatoe)...everything else you have is great...I eat the Greek yogurt, fruits,weight watchers string cheese, eggs, light salad dressing, whole grain wheat bread, 2% low fat milk, special K and old fashioned oatmeal and ..not the instant(jus because I dont like it)...but I have a complete dinner every nite...with one of the meats I mentioned...unless you just dont eat those meats then stick with what you have!!!! I love black beans on my chicken salad with veggies, craisins and sunflower seeds andFresh Gourmet Butter & Garlic croutons (7)...LOL thats one serving and 30 cals...LOL and most of all make sure you have a food scale!!!
  • healthyjen342
    healthyjen342 Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    your list looks great! I'm going to come back to this after I start my own list!
  • EquestrianLark135
    EquestrianLark135 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions everyone! I'll make sure to take off what I need to (didn't realize some of this is unhealthy) and I'll add what you have suggested! :smile: With the real oatmeal in a can I'll definitely have to try your suggestions because every time I've eaten that it was naaastyyy. lol
    I'll definitely add more greens and meat to the list!
  • crazymama2two
    Options
    If you don't know what to do with the greek yogurt...my fav breakfast or snack is the unsweetened greek yogurt with honey and granola! YUMMMM! You can also add some fresh berries or other fruits!

Tzatziki Sauce is AMAZING also made with greek yogurt

where can you get this sauce? im seeing it everywhere and it sounds liek something i would LOVE!! thanks!
  • dhulse
    dhulse Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    These are all great suggestions!!!....I'm coming back to this when I get ready to make my list :o)
    Good luck!
  • CherylYMerritt
    CherylYMerritt Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    There is way too much sugar, processed and otherwise, on that list. Axe the granola bars, the sweetened yogurt, the sweetened oatmeal. More leafy vegetables, more protein.

I agree! add ground chicken/turkey, egg whites, beans, hummus,salsa,and a must have steel cut oats! Also great to sprinkle on or to add to sauces and mixes "milled flax seed"-great way to get your omega 3- I even put it in my spagetti sauce and my homemade meatballs!
  • EquestrianLark135
    EquestrianLark135 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Thanks again everyone!!

Here's my UPDATED LIST! I added more protein and leafy greens (though I probably need more greens...I just can't find anymore that I really like-- suggestions?). And I'm no cook...so I'll probably need my dad's help with cooking any of this meat if I get it. haha :bigsmile: And I took off quite a few things.
    What do ya think???

Healthy Grocery List!!!
    Snacks:
    • Luna Mini nutrition bars
    • Kind Bars
    • Greek yogurt (Yeah…not sure what it is…but LOTS of people recommended it)
    • Almonds- and other mixed nuts
    • laughing cow light Swiss cheese
    • sugar free jello cups
    • Natural Peanut Butter
    • sugar free pudding cups
    • 100% fruit ice bars-- yummm
    • Skinny Cow Truffle Bars
    • light string cheese
    • Nabisco 100cal snack packs – LOVE these! I like the cookie ones :)
    • Special K bar

Fruit/Veggies:
    • Lots of red apples (pink ladies)
    • sugar free diced del monte peaches
    • Frozen Berries
    • strawberries
    • any berries
    • cherries
    • bananas
    • Cucumbers
    • Peaches
    • Olives
    • pears
    • Mandarin oranges
    • Clementines
    • red and green bell peppers
    • Celery
    • Iceburg Lettuce
    • Cantaloupe
    • Snap Peas
    • Carrots
    • Broccoli…hehe
    • tomatoes
    • Any canned fruit/veggies (canned in their own juice or water- unsweetened)

Other/meal stuff and Drinks:
    • Boneless chicken
    • Skinless Turkey
    • Salmon
    • Lean Pork
    • Healthy Choice Meals
    • Brown Rice
    • Black beans
    • Granola (not bars…just granola)
    • Steal Cut Oats
    • Water packed canned tuna
    • Low-Fat cottage cheese
    • Eggs-Egg whites
    • Light Progresso Soup
    • Lunch meat
    • Low fat cheeses
    • Salsa
    • Protein bars
    • Hummus (LOTS of people recommended it)
    • Quakers rice cakes (apple cinnamon)
    • Fiber One cereal
    • Cheerios
    • Whole Grain white bread (y’know what I’m talking about…???)
    • 100% Cranberry Juice w/ no sugar
    • Peach and peach melba Sparkling Water

By the way, what's your opinion on sparkling water? I get a store brand in Peach and Peach Melba. The kind I get has zero everything...it's just yummier than water (when I get bored of water all the time).
  • slainger
    slainger Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    My new favorite is Malt-O-Meal for breakfast, and discovered than a half of a cup of frozen blueberries makes it awesome! 170 calories for a breakfast that sticks with you. You can make it in the microwave, just watch it and stir frequently or it will boil over!