Healthy Food PLEASE!!!!

Options
Okay so I need a good website where I can get healthy recipes to cook for myself and my family. I really need to start changing the way I cook and a website that’s free with healthy cooking that is tasty would be great any ideas?

Oh and some good breakfast ideas would be great. No very big on yogurt though.

I know that fish is very healthy for you when cooked right, however, it makes me sick to my stomach. I can eat fish sticks and fried catfish. Baked, broiled or grilled fish make me sick and I mean really sick to my tummy. This is gross but every time I have eaten fish baked, broiled or grilled I have thrown up. I am not sure why it just doesn’t sit right and plain yogurt has the same affect.

Im adding this in . . . it's a reply to onething that was said below . . .

That’s one thing I am not good at. I have never really learned how to eat healthy none the less cook healthy. My mom doesn’t cook so I taught myself. I know like basic substitutes like turkey and whole wheat pasta and brown rice, but beyond that not much. I really need to learn how to cook all over again and this time do it right. I want to be able to eat things that I cook now but find a way healthier way of cooking the foods.

Replies

• Katbaran
    Katbaran Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Try picking up a copy of Cooking Light. My sis got me a subscription for my birthday. It has lots of ideas that are healthy and they are NOT all fish. There are some fish recipes but they are not the majority. Flip through one before you buy and see if you like any of the recipes.
  • HoopFire5602
    HoopFire5602 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I know you said free but....
    E-Mealz is my life saver. It costs me 5 bucks a month and I get an entire menu AND shopping list at the store of my choice for a whole week. It has saved me a lot of money and time. you can choose low fat, no carb, gluten free, vegetarian, etc. They have sample menus on the website..just google e-mealz.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    Perhaps you are allergic to something in fish that frying changes the chemical composition of...frying is bad for you anyway, so it's possible that whatever it is you are allergic to is just changed in the fryer.

As far as healthy recipes, I typically just do Google searches for specific things, and when I do that, I get more ideas on those websites. Sometimes I like to buy Cooking Light or other such magazines and use those recipes, and they have websites as well.

I have gotten a lot of recipes from the Team Beachbody website, but I am not sure if they are available to free users since I am a member of the Club there. There are some features available for free while others are not.
  • katiejarr
    katiejarr Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Hungry Girl website is good. Also the Weight watchers website has good recipes, although they tend to give points and not calories but I have estimated that each WW point is about 50 cals give or take.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    Hungry Girl website is good. Also the Weight watchers website has good recipes, although they tend to give points and not calories but I have estimated that each WW point is about 50 cals give or take.

I have gotten WW recipes and entered them manually into this website to get correct calorie info. Some are good, some not so good, but since they are listed in points we have to figure out calories ourselves and decide from there. I also like to take some of their recipes and modify them slightly to be more nutritious.
  • katiejarr
    katiejarr Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Another thought, I use Foodnetworks website and substitute things like ground beef for ground turkey, white rice for brown rice, whole wheat pasta for all pasta recipes, low fat cheese for all cheese recipes etc, and it works...good luck!
  • hkelley2667
    Options
    Try picking up a copy of Cooking Light. My sis got me a subscription for my birthday. It has lots of ideas that are healthy and they are NOT all fish. There are some fish recipes but they are not the majority. Flip through one before you buy and see if you like any of the recipes.

i saw this in the store the other day. The next time I go I will have a look over it. Thank you.
  • hkelley2667
    Options
    I know you said free but....
    E-Mealz is my life saver. It costs me 5 bucks a month and I get an entire menu AND shopping list at the store of my choice for a whole week. It has saved me a lot of money and time. you can choose low fat, no carb, gluten free, vegetarian, etc. They have sample menus on the website..just google e-mealz.

$5 a month is not bad. I will go and visit the website. thank you.
  • hkelley2667
    Options
    Perhaps you are allergic to something in fish that frying changes the chemical composition of...frying is bad for you anyway, so it's possible that whatever it is you are allergic to is just changed in the fryer.

As far as healthy recipes, I typically just do Google searches for specific things, and when I do that, I get more ideas on those websites. Sometimes I like to buy Cooking Light or other such magazines and use those recipes, and they have websites as well.

I have gotten a lot of recipes from the Team Beachbody website, but I am not sure if they are available to free users since I am a member of the Club there. There are some features available for free while others are not.

My husband and I are doing one of the team beachbody work out programs and I haven't been on the site since we bought the workout I need to start looking around on it. Thanks for the reminder.
  • hkelley2667
    Options

Thaks for the advice. I will look into those as well.
  • hkelley2667
    Options
    Another thought, I use Foodnetworks website and substitute things like ground beef for ground turkey, white rice for brown rice, whole wheat pasta for all pasta recipes, low fat cheese for all cheese recipes etc, and it works...good luck!

That’s one thing I am not good at. I have never really learned how to eat healthy none the less cook healthy. My mom doesn’t cook so I taught myself. I know like basic substitutes like turkey and whole wheat pasta and brown rice, but beyond that not much. I really need to learn how to cook all over again and this time do it right. I want to be able to eat things that I cook now but find a way healthier way of cooking the foods.
  • chrysnel
    chrysnel Posts: 78
    Options
    Two of my favourite resources are Clean Eating magazine, and online at thegraciouspantry.com - both are awesome for using clean, unprocessed foods. I am a huge fan of Tosca Reno's books as well - the whole Eat Clean Diet series of books - they are amazing! :happy:
  • hkelley2667
    Options
    Two of my favourite resources are Clean Eating magazine, and online at thegraciouspantry.com - both are awesome for using clean, unprocessed foods. I am a huge fan of Tosca Reno's books as well - the whole Eat Clean Diet series of books - they are amazing! :happy:

So will give those a look at too. I have a list of everything that had been suggested to me and I am going to be checking them all out. I really need a change and I am so happy that other people I don’t know are willing to give me advice. Thank you all so much. Thank you for your advice.
  • ekicinsk
    ekicinsk Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    NBC's biggest loser website had recipes on it somewhere. I've also purchased one of the biggest loser cookbooks (and looked at a few others) and their recipes are, so far, always a hit. Also, betty crocker's website will have "healthified" versions of some recipes and almost all of them include nutritional info. They're also pretty easy recipes
  • Michelemybelle
    Michelemybelle Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I really like this website:

http://www.skinnytaste.com/

She gives WW points as well as regular nutrition information per serving. I have made several of her recipes, and loved every one of them. Hope this helps!
  • hkelley2667
    Options
    NBC's biggest loser website had recipes on it somewhere. I've also purchased one of the biggest loser cookbooks (and looked at a few others) and their recipes are, so far, always a hit. Also, betty crocker's website will have "healthified" versions of some recipes and almost all of them include nutritional info. They're also pretty easy recipes

Thank you for this information I will add it to my list.
  • hkelley2667
    Options
    I really like this website:

http://www.skinnytaste.com/

She gives WW points as well as regular nutrition information per serving. I have made several of her recipes, and loved every one of them. Hope this helps!

Thank you I will have a look at the website.
  • hkelley2667
    Options

I will check it out. Thank you.
  • CherylYMerritt
    CherylYMerritt Posts: 114 Member
    Options

I agree! My Family has been on the Clean Eating diet for 7 weeks now,,,,,we will never go back to the "old way" of eating processed, sugar laden, chemical filled, junk food again. Eating Clean is a lifestyle change. Initially it takes a little getting used to, but now we love it! it is basically eating the way our Grandparents ate. Nothing processed, everything simple.