Help, I'm a babe in the woods!

Options
So I went out onto the internet and did a search on how to determine my body's calorie burning factor on a daily basis and found some fascinating information. But I am still a bit confused on the matter because when I calculate the way they suggest: BMR + physical activity + digestion which currently for me is 2220 + 444 + 266.4 = 2930.4 If I understand correctly this means for me to maintain my current weight of 222 lbs. I would need to eat 2930 calories and for me to lose 2 pounds a week I would need to consume 1930 calories. That seems like a lot of calories to me. This is based on a sedentary lifestyle. I have set my goal for 1600 calories per day because I thought this would be a good place to start seeing as I have not been in the habit of watching my calories for some time now. Could I be starving my body and thus it is not letting go?

Help!

Replies

• taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    How long have you been at 1600, how close were you sticking to the plan, and what have the results been so far?
  • Naomi91
    Naomi91 Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    Hmm maybe the BMR is a little high? at 126 and 19 mine is only 1400
  • radarseven
    radarseven Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I know this is off the topic, but I initially read your username as "the rapist mama" and was extremely confused! Ha ha! Took me a minute to figure it out. :laugh:
  • LittleMissVintage
    Options
    I have recalculated my BMR every ten pounds for 60 pounds now and I found that the more you weigh the more you burn. According to a article I read this is because our bodies have to work harder to preform tasks and when we lose weight it puts less stress on our body and it takes less effort. For example during 30 min workout I used to burn 200 calories and now, during the same workout I only burn 100 because my body doesn't have to work as hard.
  • Ms_Natalie
    Ms_Natalie Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    Hi there,
    Everything you look at online will give you conflicting advice...your best bet is to stay with one website.

what confuses me is your sedentary lifestyle? I would only take your BMR into consideration if you are sedentary. Plus, I would ignore any digestion calories. Your BMR takes digestion, respiration and everything else into consideration.

No, you're not starving your body...as long as you are not feeling ill you are okay. 1600 cals is absolutely fine for you. Your body won't kick into starvation mode for a long time.

How is your water intake? and are you logging exercise?

Best wishes,
    Natalie.
  • Martha_VH
    Martha_VH Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    When I decided I wanted to lose weight, it said that my body burned like 2300 calories.
    This is what I did. I simply ate normally for 2-3 days to see how much I normally eat. Then with the eating plan I follow, I drastically reduced calories to 1200 for 3-4 days to get my body used to cutting back. Then on day 5 I bumped it up to 1600, and that's around where I try to stay.

Figure out a plan for you, and make sure whatever you do, your meals are balanced and satisfying! :)
  • leighdlady
    Options
    Do you need to log exercise?
  • kelly6485
    kelly6485 Posts: 78
    Options
    I know this is off the topic, but I initially read your username as "the rapist mama" and was extremely confused! Ha ha! Took me a minute to figure it out. :laugh:

LMAO!!!!!
  • Therapist_mama
    Therapist_mama Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Radarseven your off subject comment made me laugh out loud and from the gut! Thanks I needed the pressure release from all this stress of trying to figure out my dilemma with calorie intake and weight loss!

@Taso only a few days, I was at 1700 and lost 5 pounds in the last two weeks. I thought I would drop down to 1600 to see if there would be more progress as I seem to have gained back 2 of those pounds. I have not changed anything I was doing with eating healthy with the exception of a couple of days not reaching my calorie goals.

@LittleMissVintage Would you say then that my calculations are correct and that I need to consume more calories than the 1600 in order for my body to gladly let go of the weight?
  • Ms_Natalie
    Ms_Natalie Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    Do you need to log exercise?

You should be logging exercise to make sure that you get to know the calorie intake that works for you! You cannot go below 1200 calories.

I find logging exercise more satisfying than the food logs!
  • Therapist_mama
    Options
    Miss Natalie the following is the information I was basing my calculations on. I drink 8 to 10 8oz. glasses of water each day and I am logging in what exercise I get in which has not been a ton because I am working on one thing at time right now the main focus for me is getting in the habit of watching my calories and eating everyday......some days I still fail to eat on schedule and then I don't get all of my daily calories completed. I know this is detrimental to my weight loss program and so I am making every effort to change it. Thank you for your input it is very much appreciated.

Quick Question: How Many Calories Do I Burn in a Day?
    Here’s a quick way to find out how many calories you burn in a day:

1) Calculate your basal metabolic rate (BMR) by multiplying your body weight x 10. For me, that’s currently 120 x 10 = 1200.

2) Add your Physical Activity Calories by multiplying your BMR x your Activity Level (Sedentary = x .20; Lightly Active = x .375; Moderately Active = x .40; Very Active = x .50). For me, that’s 1200 x .375 = 450.

3) Add your Digestion Calories by multiplying your (BMR + Physical Activity) x 10% (or .1). For me that 1650 x .1 = 165.

4) Add ‘em up! Your Total Daily Caloric Expenditure = BMR Calories + Physical Activity Calories + Digestion Calories. For me, that’s 1200 + 450 + 165 = 1,815. In other words, on a normal day my body burns 1,815 calories.

Note: One pound of fat = 3500 calories. To lose one pound of weight per week, then, I would have to eat 500 calories less per day than I do when maintaining my weight -or- I would have to burn 500 more calories through exercise -or- a combination of the two.
  • taso42_DELETED
    Options
    I would lean toward going back to the 1700 you were at before. Perhaps even a bit more since you potentially have leeway up to the 1900. Don't worry about small fluctuations like 2 lbs. These will happen, but as long as the overall trend is fatloss, then all is good.
  • Bridgetc140
    Bridgetc140 Posts: 405 Member
    Options

LMAO!! That's so funny!!!
  • LittleMissVintage
    Options
    Radarseven your off subject comment made me laugh out loud and from the gut! Thanks I needed the pressure release from all this stress of trying to figure out my dilemma with calorie intake and weight loss!

@Taso only a few days, I was at 1700 and lost 5 pounds in the last two weeks. I thought I would drop down to 1600 to see if there would be more progress as I seem to have gained back 2 of those pounds. I have not changed anything I was doing with eating healthy with the exception of a couple of days not reaching my calorie goals.

@LittleMissVintage Would you say then that my calculations are correct and that I need to consume more calories than the 1600 in order for my body to gladly let go of the
    [qoute]

Even though your BMR may be higher, I don't think you'll go into starvation mode at 1600 but if your body starts to tell you otherwise increase your intake. Being dizzy, hungry, moody, and constantly tired is not good so just make sure you stay healthy and happy, also you may want to ask a doctor if your not sure.
  • Therapist_mama
    Options
    Thank you Taso and LittleMissVintage I will definitely keep an eye on things. I have another question running through my mind right now also about exercise and earning back calories to my day. The calculator on this site shows those extra calories as what is remaining in my day once the exercise is logged. Does that mean I am supposed to eat those calories in order to lose weight?
  • goshagirl
    goshagirl Posts: 30 Member
    Options
  • taso42_DELETED
    Options
    Thank you Taso and LittleMissVintage I will definitely keep an eye on things. I have another question running through my mind right now also about exercise and earning back calories to my day. The calculator on this site shows those extra calories as what is remaining in my day once the exercise is logged. Does that mean I am supposed to eat those calories in order to lose weight?

Yes, and you wouldn't believe how often this topic comes up around here. It's a somewhat confusing until you understand how it works. MFP factors in a calorie deficit when it tells you your calories remaining for the day. When you exercise, you're burning more calories obviously, so you eat them back in order to get back to the same deficit. This will result in a steady healthy weight loss.
  • Therapist_mama
    Options
    Thank you Taso! That makes sense! So I am basically still eating my goal calories essentially! Cool.....perhaps that is why I was not experiencing the weight loss this week because I didn't eat my exercise calories when I exercised and perhaps my body saw this as an old habit that I have had of eating inconsistently. I have heard that the body will hold onto fat stores when it perceives a threat of starvation. Ok, I think I am getting it now! Thanks for your help with this today! Do you mind if I friend you?
  • lulu1962
    lulu1962 Posts: 210
    Options
    I'm still laughing at radarseven's comment...don't think I can stop!!!!:laugh:
  • radarseven
    radarseven Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I'm still laughing at radarseven's comment...don't think I can stop!!!!:laugh:

I am actually still chuckling a little bit too. Is it wrong to laugh at your own funny? :happy:

therapistmama, I'm so sorry - I feel like I've accidentally hijacked your thread a little bit! I hope everything goes well with your weight loss. MFP is a brilliant site. :flowerforyou: